PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt BoatPort Floating Lifts - input

JerryS
11-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Anyone out there have or know of anyone with one of these?

Found a new 6000lb LOF-60-25 Boatport that someone is unloading cheap. Hewitt's site shows lots of photos of lifted boats, but not one video of the operation or of the submerged lift. Wondering how practical this lift would be for my 197 on a floating dock in deep water.

My buddy has a 6000lb sunstream and loves it - but at 12K new it isn't in the budget.

http://www.ghmarine.com/hewitt/images/boatport_tracker.jpg

Info here:

http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/boatport.html

Jerry

uawaterskier
11-09-2007, 12:50 AM
I not sure what your lake conditions are, but there is a guy on my local lake that would HIGH disagree against his floating lift. His broke free in the boat house and ruined a brand new supra

JerryS
11-09-2007, 07:08 AM
This particular spot is in deep water adjacent to a steep embankment. No beach or flat area to remove and store a vertical lift. Was the floating lift that broke loose a Boatport? Or are you saying in general.

Thanks

Maristar210
11-09-2007, 07:30 AM
I see thier website and have heard of these but I must be honest I do not understand how they function? Do the floats sink?

:o :o :o :o

JerryS
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Galvanized steel rectangular frame. Bunks are mounted to this frame. Frame pivots on a hinge that is attached to floating dock at bow of boat. Two huge polyethylene float chambers support middle and back of this frame. Pump removes water from chambers to increase bouyancy. Water is allowed in to sink the chambers. Frame with boat sinks down - pivoting on the front hinge. So - it goes down on a shallow angle.

Jerry

Datdude
11-09-2007, 05:21 PM
You may want to check out Hydrohoist boat lifts. They have fiberglass pontoons that fill with water to lower and air is pumped in to make them bouyant. Looks like the same concept as the Hewitt

stuartmcnair
11-09-2007, 05:40 PM
are the lifts most used around here...several friends have them

one friend has a 24 foot deck boat and an X-30 and he uses them...seems happy with them

Leroy
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I had a 3500 or 4000 lb Hydrohoist that was $5500 in 2002. I would think you could get one for about the same price. i really like the floating lifts.

JerryS
11-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I found a Sunstream 6000 for $6000, about 3.5 years old. Its 1400 miles away though....

The Hewitt is around 3K, brand new - and is 25 miles away. Dont know much about it's operation, so I wanted to find out if anyone has seen the Hewitt.

Jerry

ridesdirt
11-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Do your research before you jump on a "deal".

I just bought a Hydrohoist and really like it. It is a little different design than what you are looking at. The unit I bought has 4 hinge points, two on each side and works in a typical three sided slip. The floats are high density polyethelene (HDPE), stuff lasts forever! Also, when the Hydrohoist is out of the water, there are no metal parts in the water. That is a big deal in my opinion. The lift functions by pumping air into the floats, forcing the water out. There are simply holes in the bottom of the floats. When you open the valve to release the air, gravity and the weight of the boat makes the floats fill with water.

I do not know about the one you are looking at, but it looks to me like it slides vertical on two posts mounted at the front of the lift. I have seen PWC lifts like that. Not my favorite design. I would try to find one installed somewhere, the dealer should have references.

Also, whoever "lost" a boat while it was on a floating lift made a serious mistake. Always keep at least one rope tied of to your boat even if it is on a lift. A muskrat or other rodent can chew through an air hose causing the lift to lower. Stainless steel braided lines are available if you have a problem with rodents.

I would recommend buying from a local dealer, in case you ever need parts or service.

uawaterskier
11-10-2007, 12:52 AM
This particular spot is in deep water adjacent to a steep embankment. No beach or flat area to remove and store a vertical lift. Was the floating lift that broke loose a Boatport? Or are you saying in general.

Thanks
yes it was and i do not have any information on the lift it self. All I know was we were all chillin and I asked him why there were really deep scratches (like stick your finger in deep) on the back side of his boat

H20BOY
11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I know several people with these or similar designs. They are easy to operate and practically no maintenance. I like the design aspects of the lift. Just my two cents.