PDA

View Full Version : Newbie considering this for first mastercraft!

tonyball
11-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Hello from a long time Mastercraft lover and newbie to this forum. I have been visiting tmcowners for over a year now and finally joined to help push myself into Mastercraft ownership. I fell in love with Mastercraft boats after spending alot of time on Round lake, in Sisterlakes, MI.
I spotted this boat on the side of the road, so I had to stop. I am very concerned about it comming from Florida. The owner says he has a certification from the owner before him stating that it was not in salt water, however he can't locate it.(???)
Also, he stated that he has done routine maintenance since getting it in '03, however the date on the oil filter is from '03.
I think I am going to keep looking, just wanted to see what the Mastercraft GODS had to say about it!! Thanks for the help!!

Pictures: http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/bagmanindy/tristar/?start=all

JoshBuzz
11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
nice boat, but the faded gelcoat towards the rear worries me, and the rust on the engine isn't a good sign!!

What's your price range, and any MC in particular you're looking for??

André
11-08-2007, 06:37 PM
What do you want to do with your MC ?
Skiing or boarding ,barefoot?
How big of a family?
Living on a lake or trailering?
What's your budget?
We need more infos to help you choose the right boat.
Where are you?
Help us to help you.4000 members could be looking out for a boat for you!:)
Welcome!

/Not really a Tristar fan myself.I slalom only...

JoshBuzz
11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
If you're price is right, there might possibly be a well taken care of Maristar 225 in your future!!

:D

Prostar in Michigain
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey im on magican lake and so is wiltok welcome to the crew man

WTRSK1R
11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
How many hours are on it, what year is it, and how much are they charging? It looks a little rough to me, but if the price is right, some TLC could bring her back.

JohnE
11-08-2007, 06:54 PM
How big of a family?
What's your budget?
Where are you?
Help us to help you.4000 members could be looking out for a boat for you!
Welcome!

I love the Tristar, used to have an '88 190.:D

In all seriousness, answer some or all of Andre's questions and you'll get a lot of help here.

M-Funf
11-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I see some big red flags with that boat. Never in saltwater? Highly unlikely with the rust I see. Routine maint. getting done but filter never changed...not so much...

That said, if the price is right, and you don't mind a little surface rust, have it checked out by a marine mechanic, take it for a test ride, and if those pan out and you're happy, that's all that matters!

Welcome, and good luck with a boat purchase!

tonyball
11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this much response this fast. I will try to give you a little more info:
I am in Indianapolis, IN. The boat would be mostly for boarding, but I like just about any watersport. My boys ar 18, 15 and 6 and my daughter is 8. My oldest wouldn't be going with us very often(too cool to hang out with parents).
My price range is low, below 15k. It's going to take some "creative financing" to get this done.
We are considering a place on a private lake but probibly won't happen for several years so we would need to trailer it to start.
Don't you think I should get this little guy behind a MC?
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/bagmanindy/?action=view&current=Picture001.jpg

Slinkyredfoot
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
How big of a family?
What's your budget?
Where are you?
Help us to help you.4000 members could be looking out for a boat for you!
Welcome!

I love the Tristar, used to have an '88 190.:D

In all seriousness, answer some or all of Andre's questions and you'll get a lot of help here.

This is great knowledge and advice, keep shopping, and don't jump at the first look, afterall time is on your side and keep asking for opinions here on this forum with your thoughts, we are all here to help with your questions and noone will steer you wrong....welcome Newbie:D

Sodar
11-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Just by viewing through the pictures, I would say to keep looking. Although the rust is only on the surface, it bothers me. It is probably only from condensation building up inside the motor hatch, but still. Also, 5-9-03 for its last oil filter change? Come on!

If you are really looking to spend in the range you mentioned, you could easily find a MUCH newer and nicer boat!

Good Luck!

tonyball
11-08-2007, 07:05 PM
They are asking 4,000.00 for the boat. It was taken to a dealer(not MC) to be checked out. He told me that they found a crack in the exhaust manifold. He told me the name of the dealer so I called, the service manager said they found the freeze plugs laying in the bottom of the hull so they closed it up and had them come get it "no charge", they didn't even want to get into it. I think it is a 1987, not for sure. hours are around 840, I threw away the info on it after talking to the dealer.

Slinkyredfoot
11-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Oh also, and Indy guy? Well this is even better, you have some good Indiana neighbors tight here, Leroy, Michael, and HB, although HB will use you for UPS charges and never buy you a cold one....:D

Slinkyredfoot
11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
They are asking 4,000.00 for the boat. It was taken to a dealer(not MC) to be checked out. He told me that they found a crack in the exhaust manifold. He told me the name of the dealer so I called, the service manager said they found the freeze plugs laying in the bottom of the hull so they closed it up and had them come get it "no charge", they didn't even want to get into it. I think it is a 1987, not for sure. hours are around 840, I threw away the info on it after talking to the dealer.

Is the dealer here in Indy? and where is the boat?

Prostar in Michigain
11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
So do you have a house on round lake or no? And do you know where magican lake is?

Prostar in Michigain
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
And you can get a way better boat then that for 15,000

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Looks like a '89 by the interior accents. Last 2 digits in the Hull Identification Number, on right side of transom cast in the gelcoat from a label maker will tell you the year. My opinion is that it has been rode hard and put up wet!

east tx skier
11-08-2007, 07:36 PM
The fact that the oil hasn't been changed since 03 causes me to think that very little maintenance has been performed on this boat other than putting gas in it. Will the engine run with that old oil in there, probably, but that's just neglectful. About as basic maintenance as there is. There are a lot of great boats out there that will do just what you need and have been babied.

JoshBuzz
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
My boys ar 18, 15 and 6 and my daughter is 8. My oldest wouldn't be going with us very often(too cool to hang out with parents).

tell that 18 year old to buck up, and get out there!! I'm 18, and we just got our MC about 8 months ago! There is no other place I'd rather spend my weekends than on the lake, in my MC, with my parents!! I'm away at college, and come back to go to the lake almost every weekend!! Haven't missed a weekend in two months actually!! I know how hard it is to force kids to go to the lake(hah), but make him, and let him bring a couple pals, and he won't regret it!! The times are unforgettable, and the company is great!!

Plus 18 year olds make great ballast!!

;)

Jerseydave
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I'd say keep looking.

Freeze plugs in the bilge.....indicate that block has froze up one winter....which could mean cracked engine block......which means big dollars!

At minimum the exhaust manifolds and risers need replacement. I'd say she's seen some salt water for sure.

A direct drive tri-star wouldn't be my first choice for boarding. Try to find a prostar 205 or better yet a 205V. Same hull as the current X-1, one of the best wakes out there for boarding.

Welcome to Team Talk!

-Dave

fintek9
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Walk away from that one, That had an owner with no pride for a mastercraft (poor thing) If you want "that" MC, It will come!
Welcome to TT:D

Monte
11-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Walk away from that one, That had an owner with no pride for a mastercraft (poor thing) If you want "that" MC, It will come!
Welcome to TT:D

Lord Have mercy people!! DUDE offer him A LOT less... Tell him it is a SAD SAD representation of care and Revive that boat!!!!:cool: ;) :D It CAN be done....

drbesvold1
11-09-2007, 12:00 AM
well who is every buying that boat has just as much work as i do on my boat but i bought a lemon at least who ever buys this boat knows what there getting into good luck and hope you have deep pockets like tmc lol

tonyball
11-09-2007, 08:10 AM
It is really a shame to find something like this boat in this kind of shape.
I am not really looking for a project, however I am not afraid of doing some work, I enjoy working on my own stuff(and my kids).
Even though my price range is up to 15k, that doesn't mean I am going to pay that for something like this, I was going to offer the guy 1500 and see where that leads.

tonyball
11-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Is the dealer here in Indy? and where is the boat?
The boat is in Anderson, IN. It was taken to Anderson Aqua Marine by another interested buyer who backed out after talking to the service manager. Pine Crest said that they would completely go through it and the trailer for 170.00
I am pretty sure that I will walk away from this one unless I can pick it up for 1500 or so.

tonyball
11-09-2007, 08:24 AM
So do you have a house on round lake or no? And do you know where magican lake is?
We do not have a place on round lake, would LOVE to though. Two of my good friends have houses there. Yes I do know where magican lake is, we have gone the a few times with my friend TJ who has some friends on that lake, I believe thier last name is Mitchell, but it has been awhile. My friends family's have had a thier places on round lake for more than 30 years, they have a cream and white stars and stripes, and my friend TJ has a sparkle silver prostar Sammy edition.

Monte
11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
It is really a shame to find something like this boat in this kind of shape.
I am not really looking for a project, however I am not afraid of doing some work, I enjoy working on my own stuff(and my kids).
Even though my price range is up to 15k, that doesn't mean I am going to pay that for something like this, I was going to offer the guy 1500 and see where that leads.

I think 1500 is about right for the condition, you might even go up to 3g, but not a penny more.. Boat mechanics are extremely slow once the winterizing rush is over, just make sure the mechanic you choose has a working knowledge of INBOARD boats..

Patrick Hardy
11-09-2007, 09:07 AM
$1,500 looks about right for that WELL USED MC. If you have a good mechanic, want to spend a lot of time & money on TLC, have the wifes OK, then spend the money to have it throughly inspected and give the owner your offer. I would keep on looking for another boat. This is just the time to start looking for a well maintained MC. A little confused by what you said though. Your price range is $15,000 or $1,500 ? If it is $15,000, then you should take your time and effort looking. For that amount of money you can find a real good mid to late 90's MC. Welcome and good luck boat hunting.

ttu
11-09-2007, 09:14 AM
here is a very nice 91 tristar for 11,900

ttu
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
interior pic

ttu
11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
back picture

east tx skier
11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Wow! That's one of the prettiest TS190s I've seen. What a beaut'!

Monte
11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Tis nice I must agree!!

BrianM
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Wow! That's one of the prettiest TS190s I've seen. What a beaut'!

Ditto. Very clean looking Tristar.

Muttley
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
My price range is low, below 15k. It's going to take some "creative financing" to get this done.
[/url]

$15K?? That boat may only be $4K, but a motor alone (if it needs one) will be over $5K. If you like the Tristar, you could get one in really good shape for under $10K. When I was looking, I found a nice one for $8500. I think you'd be happier to pay a little more and get something that needs a little less work. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/2/90541052.htm

Check put the pics of my Prostar 205. I just bought it a month ago. Its a '92 with 400 hours on it. Garage kept, shiny gel and no rust. It's mint! I paid $12,200 for it. I just saw another one near Seattle that looked good for $11,500. http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/470303976.html

ttu
11-09-2007, 11:33 AM
that 91 tristar is located at pier 5 in hutchinson kansas. i bought my first inboard from him and it was in great shape and ran perfect.

i can say he does move on the price somewhat.

tonyball
11-09-2007, 03:17 PM
That is very nice. Do you have any more info? You can e-mail me at bagman46234@indy.rr.com. Thanks

tonyball
11-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I am really liking the walkaround bow set up, Does anyone have any more info on these or some first hand experience with them??

TMCNo1
11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I am really liking the walkaround bow set up, Does anyone have any more info on these or some first hand experience with them??

Monte72 owns a nice one, talk to him!

tonyball
11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Lord Have mercy people!! DUDE offer him A LOT less... Tell him it is a SAD SAD representation of care and Revive that boat!!!!:cool: ;) :D It CAN be done....
Thanks for the vote of confidence, How do you like your walkaround setup??

TMCNo1
11-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Just don't ask him where he lets his monkey ride in the boat!:uglyhamme

east tx skier
11-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I think ETDuc on this site is selling a TriStar.

MIMC
11-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Tonyball -

As you can see there are several "previously loved" MC's out there. My opinion is to stay away from your original inquiry, unless you really enjoy restoring boats more than you enjoy riding in them! :) I don't have X-ray vision (wish I did), but I would almost bet the engine block is wasted. Good chance there is an internal crack if the freeze plugs were out and the manifold is cracked. Trailer looks rough as well - how much will need to go into the trailer for you to trailer it up from FL?

Welcome and good luck with finding that "just right" MC! OH yea - I'm in SE Michigan, Commerce Lake in Commerce Twp.

MIMC

JohnE
11-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Someone on here was trying to sell a Tristar 220 walk around. Same boat as Monte72 has. May be the memeber ETS spoke of.

JohnnyB
11-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Best thing you can do here is walk away from this one. There are even better project boats out there. This thing has been neglected inside and out.

Monte
11-10-2007, 10:20 AM

I like the walk around.. Not as roomy as say an X2, but it certainly beats the amount of room in a prostar 190.. The only real downfall is cooler weather. You dont have as much windshield. That being said. It makes for some much much needed space..:cool:

Monte
11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Forgot to add, the 220 is a GREAT all around/ versitle boat..

JohnE
11-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I just want to add that I agree with everyone who advises you walk away from this one. It could become a money pit that is never right. YOu can buy a nice MC in the $10K - $15K range. Good luck and keep us posted.

BrianM
11-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I like the walk around.. Not as roomy as say an X2, but it certainly beats the amount of room in a prostar 190.. The only real downfall is cooler weather. You dont have as much windshield. That being said. It makes for some much much needed space..:cool:

Hey Monte did you ever put pictures up of the interior once you got it completely finished? I remember seening pictures of it partially done but don't remember any completed pics.

Monte
11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey Monte did you ever put pictures up of the interior once you got it completely finished? I remember seening pictures of it partially done but don't remember any completed pics.

I did, but in my haste to get out on the water It looks messy:rolleyes::o

TMCNo1
11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Bert, I love the monkey's seat you made that goes over the pylon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :uglyhamme

tonyball
11-10-2007, 04:20 PM
That is an awesome set up, thanks for putting those pictures up! It just makes me want one even more.