PDA

View Full Version : Have we lost sight?

M-Funf
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I was watching a program about Kennedy on TV the other day when I was home sick. They replayed one of his most famous quotes...

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy

Have people lost sight of this? Am I interpreting it wrong? Seems like many people nowadays are just holding out their hands waiting for the Government to hand out thousand dollar bills...

I'm going to go put on my flame suit now :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 01:34 PM
You make a very good point!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdpoint.gif

If things had been different, he had not been killed and he had become a Mastercraft boat owner, he may have even said this,

"My fellow Mastercraft Owners, ask not what your fellow boat owner can do for you -- ask what you can do for your fellow boat owner."

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Really Harold?:confused:

I figured he would have said "Hey, does anyone know what Hoosier Bob is drinking? :confused: Cuz UMP and Lakey are wondering." ;)

Monte
11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I know this comes from the morning joke thread (Beau), but it seems relavent here..
Parable of the Ant
Then and Now....

TRADITIONAL VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing, "It's Not Easy Being Green."

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing, "We shall overcome." Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.
Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer! The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients. The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

loeweb
11-08-2007, 02:25 PM
You make a very good point. It seems as though more and more people want something for nothing, and don't worry about everyone else just themselves. Nobody wants to work and we all p and moan when people hire illegal immigrants. We have become such a lazy society that we would rather complain about someone woeking that legally cannot, but that same person is unemployed and doesn't want a job.

stuartmcnair
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
but it would take too long...maybe I will have my assistant respond...

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 02:34 PM

I figured he would have said "Hey, does anyone know what Hoosier Bob is drinking? :confused: Cuz UMP and Lakey are wondering." ;)

.................................................. ................................................ht tp://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdlol.gif

jraben8
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the country of "entitlement"....

M-Funf
11-08-2007, 02:40 PM
So, what do I do for my country? Well, I was always taught: "think globally, act locally". I don't know who got credit for that quote.

I work my butt off every day. I pay my taxes. I support local businesses. I volunteer for community functions. I buy American whenever possible. I VOTE. I go to City Council meetings. I write to my Senator. I get involved with local events. I support our troops.

I don't do any of these things because I think I'll get something back in return. I do these things because it's the right thing to do, and I feel that I should give back to my community because they (the community and America) have given me (and defend!) my freedom, democracy, the right to vote, etc. etc. etc... I remind myself often of all the freedoms we have that others around the world do NOT have...

edit: Sorry about the babbling...I'm think I'll have a martini...

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2007, 02:56 PM

UMP power hits in a gas mask substatially increase the level of THC in the blood stream!!!! :D

Ric
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes, we have lost sight.

Don Henley told us in an interview 10 years ago that "Western civilization is declining". So it must be true.

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes, we have lost sight.

Don Henley told us in an interview 10 years ago that "Western civilization is declining". So it must be true.

He just forgot to say we were disfunctional too!:D

03 35th Anniversary
11-08-2007, 06:34 PM

I figured he would have said "Hey, does anyone know what Hoosier Bob is drinking? :confused: Cuz UMP and Lakey are wondering." ;)Better watch it UMP.... Yesterday when we made a couple of post asking this they were deleted........... With no PM saying why.........

Slinkyredfoot
11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the country of "entitlement"....

Yea, this much pretty much sums it all up, a free lunch for everyone on the governments dollar with no accountablility to anyone...:mad:

Oh please do not get me started on this, but please keep in mind this country in my opinion is a mess right now, major unrest in the Middle East, war in Iraq, the dollar at an all time low, GM posting an $89 BILLION loss, gas prices soaring higher and higher everyday, banks struggling due to mortgage defaults...it goes on and on. We are the country of entitlement, and I am guilty like all of the rest of engraining this entitlement into our offsprings heads as well. I feel sick to my stomach for my part in this fiasco.

I have no idea for any solutions to any of our problems, only ideas, and can it get even worse, you bet....can anyone say "recession"? oh and what about the upcoming presidental election in a year, this scares the living h... out of me, no one with any charisma or any idea of how to deal with what is going on...gonna take a long time my friends to deal with this mess

I think I will just check out and move to the lake where all of my cares and stress seem to just disappear.......................:twocents:

Chief
11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Yea, this much pretty much sums it all up, a free lunch for everyone on the governments dollar with no accountablility to anyone...:mad:

Oh please do not get me started on this, but please keep in mind this country in my opinion is a mess right now, major unrest in the Middle East, war in Iraq, the dollar at an all time low, GM posting an $89 BILLION loss, gas prices soaring higher and higher everyday, banks struggling due to mortgage defaults...it goes on and on. We are the country of entitlement, and I am guilty like all of the rest of engraining this entitlement into our offsprings heads as well. I feel sick to my stomach for my part in this fiasco.

I have no idea for any solutions to any of our problems, only ideas, and can it get even worse, you bet....can anyone say "recession"? oh and what about the upcoming presidental election in a year, this scares the living h... out of me, no one with any charisma or any idea of how to deal with what is going on...gonna take a long time my friends to deal with this mess

I think I will just check out and move to the lake where all of my cares and stress seem to just disappear.......................:twocents:

Well said, I always figured that my kids, kids, kids would see something awful happen to this country but sadly enough this generation may see it.

We better learn to speak Chinese in the future. We are whoring ourselves out to them. They damn near make everything. Sad to say, the Japanese cars are more American than the big three. (Just to add to your list of things)

Yep the US is ALFU right now! I think as Americans we need to take a round turn on our glutness and start thinking about tomorrow instead of today.

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Well said, I always figured that my kids, kids, kids would see something awful happen to this country but sadly enough this generation may see it.

We better learn to speak Chinese in the future. We are whoring ourselves out to them. They damn near make everything. Sad to say, the Japanese cars are more American than the big three. (Just to add to your list of things)

Yep the US is ALFU right now! I think as Americans we need to take a round turn on our glutness and start thinking about tomorrow instead of today.

Whom has lead us down this path????

If you said George Bush, there is no hope and you get whats coming.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Hoosier Bob.

Slinkyredfoot
11-08-2007, 09:25 PM

I would say all of the politicians that we, as voters, elect into office...I feel they generally could care less about their constituants, rather lobbyists who contribute large sums of cash to these politicians and who expect political patronage for their cash contributions and get it...

Confirms the gluttonous, self centerned, selfish attidtude our country seems to have taken on, this attitude has the origin from our leaders and who has them in their back pockets....

Monte
11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't this be nice?? I know you've all read it before, but it makes some valid points IMHO

The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present........ You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, Noriega, Milosovich and the rest of those 'good ole boys.' We will never "interfere" again.

We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We will station troops at our borders. No one sneaking through holes in the fence.

All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France should welcome them.

All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. NO ONE! If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non-polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while....... The Sierra Club, etc. will have to deal with it.

Offer Saudi Arabia, and other oil producing countries, $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go some place else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah, or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need..... Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

We will ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter, or lockup for illegal aliens.

All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.

The Statue of Liberty will no longer say "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, "You want a piece of me?"

Chief
11-08-2007, 09:43 PM

Dosen't really matter how we got here, it's a matter of how do we get out of this.

Don't remember bashing Bush: Ole George has been a good cowboy and stood his ground but sometimes needs to know when to back away and shut his F'ing mouth.

Leroy
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I am neither republican or democratic, vote for who I think is the best. Our country has been severly short of leadership and Bush is severely lacking, foreign policy, $3 gas, lowest dollar ever, record trade inbalance, large number of layoffs and people taking lower paying jobs, jobs going overseas, Katrina, on and on. George Sr I liked, Reagan I liked, Carter is a great guy but worst president ever I think, Clinton was good president. And I agree I do not see someone I think worthy to run our great nation in any of the candidates so far.....I guess I have one politician I admire now and that is our city mayor. Just my opinion :)

But I think M-funk is talking about the bigger picture, we seem to have lost our purpose and morality as a country. Politicians at all levels have their hands out and not working on the good of the country. NBC can run a show on sick people showing up to have sex with way underage people. General lack of morality on TV. Crack and drug use, most major cities have homicide rates of several hundred per year, inner city high schools with graduation rates of 10-20%, we are the obese nation, it really deserves action.

Way to go M-Funk! I think you have something there, get involved!

lanier92prostar
11-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree with the morality issues. Our country seems to have lost a sense of values and morals. I sometimes cringe when allowing my children to watch TV for the commercials and news that is happening. I think it is important to teach our children that nothing in life is free. You need to work hard to get things out of life and I am not only talking about monetary items. I also agree that we as a society have developed a sense of entitlement and our governement is doing nothing but teaching this with the immigration policy and other issues.

6ballsisall
11-08-2007, 11:33 PM
While it's been proven Bill Gates never did give this speech as the rumor states he did, I think it's rather fitting these days.....

Rule 1: Life is not fair Ė get used to it!

Rule 2: The world wonít care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You wonít be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, itís not your parentsí fault, so donít whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents werenít as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parentís generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and theyíll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesnít bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You donít get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are youíll end up working for one.

Leroy
11-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Good one JR, this is one my manager just shared with us:

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

Chief
11-09-2007, 06:20 AM
While it's been proven Bill Gates never did give this speech as the rumor states he did, I think it's rather fitting these days.....

Rule 1: Life is not fair – get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won’t be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent’s generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they’ll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

Good one J. I printed it out and have my wife posting in my kid's room.

Ric
11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
I am neither republican or democratic, vote for who I think is the best. Our country has been severly short of leadership and Bush is severely lacking, foreign policy, $3 gas, lowest dollar ever, record trade inbalance, large number of layoffs and people taking lower paying jobs, jobs going overseas, Katrina, on and on. George Sr I liked, Reagan I liked, Carter is a great guy but worst president ever I think, Clinton was good president. And I agree I do not see someone I think worthy to run our great nation in any of the candidates so far.....I guess I have one politician I admire now and that is our city mayor. Just my opinion :) ! you forgot deficit spending Leroy. And war war, what is it good for?

Slinkyredfoot
11-09-2007, 11:01 AM
you forgot deficit spending Leroy. And war war, what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing.....

Monte
11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Absolutely nothing.....

Say it again now:rolleyes: