PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Oil Filter Questions

Patrick Hardy
11-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I have done searches on this web site and a few others, but I am still a little confused. I have a 1996 190 w/ LT1 engine. The filter that I have used in the past was a AC Delco PF25 now the PF454. But I read on these type forums that the NAPA 1069, K&N HP2002 and WIX 51069 are also used for this engine. I Know that this topic is a little on the personal preference debate, but what is the general consensus on the best oil filter to use on a LT1 engine. Thanks for any help.

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 01:16 AM
I have done searches on this web site and a few others, but I am still a little confused. I have a 1996 190 w/ LT1 engine. The filter that I have used in the past was a AC Delco PF25 now the PF454. But I read on these type forums that the NAPA 1069, K&N HP2002 and WIX 51069 are also used for this engine. I Know that this topic is a little on the personal preference debate, but what is the general consensus on the best oil filter to use on a LT1 engine. Thanks for any help.

That pretty much covers it!

Patrick Hardy
11-08-2007, 01:20 AM
So which filter would you use or recommend for this engine?

FrankSchwab
11-08-2007, 01:28 AM
They are probably all good.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 01:31 AM

Any one of them, all are quality from what I read.

erkoehler
11-08-2007, 01:56 AM
We use MC p/n 81501001 which is available at any dealer.

Sodar
11-08-2007, 02:00 AM

I always used the Napa or WIX on my 1996 LT-1.

Have any pics of your boat?

swatguy
11-08-2007, 02:37 AM
All are decent. Wix and Napa seem to be one of the highest rated for that engine pretty much on every board always suggested.

NICE

Patrick Hardy
11-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Sorry SodarSki73, I will have to post some pictures , I am relatively new to the site and will have to get some photos. I would take some today, but I skied till dark last night and the boat needs a good bath. Thanks everyone for the help on the oil filter question.

BrianM
11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Another vote for the Napa Gold or the Wix. They are actually the same filter with a different name on them as Wix makes the filters for Napa.

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM

I couldn't agree more, thanks for the info Eric!:cool:

Does anyone know who manufactures the oil filters for Mastercraft?

Patrick Hardy
11-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I was also wondering about who makes the Mastercraft oil filters that dealers use? Is it a contracted supplier, Champion Labs, etc. ? do they perform as well as the above recommended filters? Anyone have info on this ?

Ben
11-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I have '94 LT-1. Indmar told me to use the Penzoil PZ-3 as 1st choice. I can only find it at boat dealers, but I'm going there for oil anyway...

I don't remember the rest on their list, but if you call them, they will tell you.

trickskier
11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I use the Mobil-1 M-1 302 for small block Chevy.

JimN
11-08-2007, 07:32 PM
A clean one. Unless it's one of the ones whose names shall not be spoken, they'll all work, as long as the one used is made for a GM 5.7L motor. It'll see 50-100 hours of use. If the oil is changed often, it really won't matter a lot.

JimN
11-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Ben- Checker/Schuck's/Kragen sell the PZ-3. It's basically a Fram (oops, I said it) and they have a marketing agreement with Pennzoil. AC filters work fine. I use them in my truck and it has enough miles to have gone to the moon and most of the way back. It burns no oil. It has great compression. Change it often and you won't have a problem with any filter.

Patrick Hardy
11-09-2007, 09:36 AM
JimN, Any idea who makes the Mastercraft filter ? is it any good ? And have you ever used one ? Just curious.

JimN
11-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Fram makes it and they don't have the best reputation but as I said, if it's changed frequently, it won't be a problem.

bigmac
11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know. I agree that changing the filter according to recommendations means that the filter brand is probably inconsequential from a filtration standpoint, but I think there are other considerations of filter function related to valving and flow characteristics - anti-drainback valving in particular. From that standpoint, cheap, poorly-made filters (as Fram is reputed to be) would be WAY down my list of oil filter choices. I won't even use that brand on my lawn tractor.

Patrick Hardy
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey thanks Jim, I thought that it was Fram. I change my filter every 50 hours (like clock work). I use AC Delco Filters but see/hear many MC owner recommend NAPA filters.

TMCNo1
11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Patrick Hardy
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I think the same as you bigmac. Fram is such a low quality product. I am surprised that Indmar recommends the Pennzoil (Fram) filter, it is such a cheap filter.

JimN
11-09-2007, 12:06 PM
bigmac- ever torn an engine down that was not maintained in a way that would make the designers of that motor happy? I disassembled a Nautique 351 that was overheated after it froze, may/may not have had regular oil changes and AFAIK, when it froze, all that was done was replace the freeze plug. At some point, the head and intake manifold gaskets were replaced and since Ultra Copper sealant was used on both head and intake gaskets, overheating blew through and caused more problems. That means that since I was the first one to work on it after the overheat, I got to find the problems. When I removed the oil pan, the original paint was still on the gasket and hadn't been breached, so the pistons had never been removed. What did I see on the cylinder walls? The cross-hatching from honing during manufacture. The cam, lifters, rockers, valve stems and bearings were very clean and didn't show any signs of excessive wear. Also, the #3 cylinder wall was cracked from the freeze. It had a Fram filter on it when it came in. I know people who work or worked fro GM and they all said the same thing- fresh oil and filter, keep it from overheating and keep it tuned up. That's what lets an engine live a long, happy life. Testing shows which ones are best but if a motor is run often, anti-siphon is less of an issue. All of the manufacturers do destructive testing and one thing they do is remove all of the oil and run it till it drops. It takes longer than you might think, depending on the motor.

More filter element surface area keeps them from clogging fast. 50 hours really shouldn't clog a filter. Some restrict more than others but I haven't seen test results for this. I have used AC filters for a ling time and they work for me. I'm not going to obsess about them. If I ran into a case of not being able to get anything other than Fram, I would probably buy one, but I would watch the pressure and check it to see how clean it stayed.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know what Hoosier Bob is drinking? :confused: me and Lakey were wondering......

TMCNo1
11-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know what Hoosier Bob is drinking? :confused: me and Lakey were wondering......

Whatever HB's drinking, he's using oil filter cans as beer can coozies!;)

bigmac
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Testing shows which ones are best but if a motor is run often, anti-siphon is less of an issue.

More filter element surface area keeps them from clogging fast. 50 hours really shouldn't clog a filter. Some restrict more than others but I haven't seen test results for this.

Very often, typically even, boat engines are not run often

I'm not concerned about filtration - 50 hours is nothing, and shouldn't really clog a filter. OTOH, 50 hours really is nothing and I think that is a good reason why anti-siphon capability is important. Likewise, oil flow and the filter's ability to not affect oil pressure adversely.

Yes, I think that even in a boat, maybe especially in a boat, oil filter quality is very important.

Patrick Hardy
11-09-2007, 10:07 PM
OK, here is the next question for this thread. if I keep using AC Delco filters - PF454, is there any benefit / potential harm to the engine if I go to the PF1218 filter ? it is the same filter, just about a two inch's longer. I see in auto applications that most car enthusiast use the larger PF1218 filter.

Maristar210
11-09-2007, 10:11 PM
OK, here is the next question for this thread. if I keep using AC Delco filters - PF454, is there any benefit / potential harm to the engine if I go to the PF1218 filter ? it is the same filter, just about a two inch's longer. I see in auto applications that most car enthusiast use the larger PF1218 filter.
Oh now your just trying to start sheet. As she said the longer the better. Now leave it alone..

JimN
11-10-2007, 12:10 AM
In 50 hours, it really won't make much difference. It's not a dusty environment, but every bit helps. I use the PF1218 in my truck and I have had zero oil/filter issues.

Look, if you sold something and put a three year warranty on it, would you sell it with a POS part that was likely to cause premature failures? I doubt it. If the PZ-3 was really bad under normal use, they would have S-canned it long ago but the fact is, they started shipping the motors with it in '99 and AFAIK, it hasn't been a problem. If a filter is too fine, it'll be restrictive. I want pressure and volume.

pflcjl
11-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I have always used AC Delco and I go with the longer PF1218. Used it on my former 95 PS190 corvette LT-1 and 2000 PS190 LTR 330 and now use the 1218 on 06 PS197 MCX. No issues at all - I recommend it.

Oil = Amzoil Synthetic. Change it at end of season during winterization and once mid season when I get approx 50 hours of use.

pflcjl
11-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I have always used AC Delco and I go with the longer PF1218. Used it on my former 95 PS190 corvette LT-1 and 2000 PS190 LTR 330 and now use the 1218 on 06 PS197 MCX. No issues at all - I recommend it.

Oil = Amzoil Synthetic. Change it at end of season during winterization and once mid season when I get approx 50 hours of use.

bigmac
11-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Look, if you sold something and put a three year warranty on it, would you sell it with a POS part that was likely to cause premature failures? I doubt it. If the PZ-3 was really bad under normal use, they would have S-canned it long ago but the fact is, they started shipping the motors with it in '99 and AFAIK, it hasn't been a problem.

It's a valid point - Indmar is a quality company. But by the time an engine would break somehow due to ongoing use of a poor quality oil filter, that engine would be long out of warranty. And they've only been putting them in since 1999? They may not know long term effects.

You're right, it would probably make little difference to the family who uses their boat 50 hours per year for 10 years. I wonder about the guy who buys that boat when that family moves up and trades in. I wonder how many people here on Team Talk own boats that are 15-20 years old?

TMCNo1
11-10-2007, 11:56 AM
It's a valid point - Indmar is a quality company. But by the time an engine would break somehow due to ongoing use of a poor quality oil filter, that engine would be long out of warranty. And they've only been putting them in since 1999? They may not know long term effects.

You're right, it would probably make little difference to the family who uses their boat 50 hours per year for 10 years. I wonder about the guy who buys that boat when that family moves up and trades in. I wonder how many people here on Team Talk own boats that are 15-20 years old?

I have one, but I prefer not to tell what filter I run. The same brand filter that's in the boat and changed every 50 hours is in our '88 Astro Van, '99 Explorer and '99 Buick Lasabre with oil/filter changes every 3,000 miles. I sold a '88 Olds Cutlass Cruiser SW, 3300 V6, 8 years ago using the same filter and oil change intervels with 193,000 miles on it to a local guy and it now has 254,000+ on it using the same filters, oil and change intervels and no one has ever been inside the engine for any reason and it still uses no oil. I saw the guy I sold it to, driving the Olds this morning at the local restaurant.
I'm cheap and lazy, go figure!
I am so embarrased, I keep a chrome cover over the boat engine oil filter!

Patrick Hardy
11-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone, I was looking for some answers to this question. Changing the boat oil, filter and giving it a complete detail today. Just wanted to see what filter(s) MC owners used on average, before I bought the new filter for my service change.

André
11-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I have one, but I prefer not to tell what filter I run. The same brand filter that's in the boat and changed every 50 hours is in our '88 Astro Van, '99 Explorer and '99 Buick Lasabre with oil/filter changes every 3,000 miles. I sold a '88 Olds Cutlass Cruiser SW, 3300 V6, 8 years ago using the same filter and oil change intervels with 193,000 miles on it to a local guy and it now has 254,000+ on it using the same filters, oil and change intervels and no one has ever been inside the engine for any reason and it still uses no oil. I saw the guy I sold it to, driving the Olds this morning at the local restaurant.
I'm cheap and lazy, go figure!
I am so embarrased, I keep a chrome cover over the boat engine oil filter!
That is one CLEAN motor...:)

TMCNo1
11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
I try! I hope it's just as clean inside!