PDA

View Full Version : MC dealer survey

rektek
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
simple survey, if you don't take your boat to a MC dealer for service or repair post why ? too far ? too expensive ? other ?

TheOneandOnly
11-07-2007, 10:50 PM
cause there too easy to deal with :)

rektek
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
cause there too easy to deal with :)

huh ? lost me... there, their or they're. hmm which one could it be

Monte
11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I think it's a good idea for anyone to take their boat to their MC dealer.. That being said.. My boat mechanic/ upholsterer/ can fix just about anything motorized buddy lives across the street;) :D

ski_king
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
simple survey, if you don't take your boat to a MC dealer for service or repair post why ? too far ? too expensive ? other ?
I took my MC back to the dealer once.....24 years ago.
Haven't needed to take it back since as nothing has needed repaired.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I bought mine for a dealer about 30 minutes away (NorCal Mastercraft formally Ski World) because I didnt like the service and salesmanship of Cope and McCheaters, therefore I either have the old sevice manager from that dealership come and do the service at my house. He lives in the same area. This year I did all the service myself.

dmayer84
11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
I have done all of my work my self, except the hull wash, I let the dealer do that.

JoshBuzz
11-08-2007, 12:07 AM
ALWAYS SUPPORT YOUR DEALER!!

:D

Houston MC takes care of me!!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Take care of your money too?

rektek
11-08-2007, 12:35 AM
I bought mine for a dealer about 30 minutes away (NorCal Mastercraft formally Ski World) because I didnt like the service and salesmanship of Cope and McCheaters, therefore I either have the old sevice manager from that dealership come and do the service at my house. He lives in the same area. This year I did all the service myself.

cope & mcpheters is my closest dealer as well, I always felt like I was bothering them when trying to acquire parts or accessories, skis or wakeboards.

03 35th Anniversary
11-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I have used these guys from day one.... It is where my boat was purchased new, they have always went the extra mile to make sure it was done right. Their rates $$$ have alway been pretty good.

Above all they have never gave me a reason to go anywhere else.

Jayc
11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I never like paying someone to do something I can do myself. You can find all the info you need to do anything on sites like this.
Personally I have the time to do all my own servicing and repairs but I can see why most choose to use their dealer.

I think even if I had more money and could easily afford someone to do the work I'd most likely still do it myself. I'd rather be up to my elbows in grease than watching TV!

Andyg
11-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I never like paying someone to do something I can do myself. You can find all the info you need to do anything on sites like this.
Personally I have the time to do all my own servicing and repairs but I can see why most choose to use their dealer.

I think even if I had more money and could easily afford someone to do the work I'd most likely still do it myself. I'd rather be up to my elbows in grease than watching TV!

Ditto.

Not to mention over the years it has given me the excuse to keep buying tools.

Sodar
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah, it is cool getting to learn about it and "play" with it.

east tx skier
11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
When I had my 205, I'd have fallen under the "too far" category. I did most of the basic maintenance stuff myself though.

h20skijunky
11-08-2007, 11:43 AM
I’ve been a member of Team Talk for a few years now but have never felt compelled to post anything until now.
The MC Dealer in my area is California Skier in Lake Elsinore. To put it in a nutshell, they suck at service. They have a great owner and sales staff but I only go there for service if its something that will be covered by my warranty, like the third steering cable replacement.
You ask, why do they suck... I treat my 2002 MC Prostar 197 like the crown jewel that it is, no spots and no stains, cleaned each time it is used, inside and out, then garaged and covered.
The few times I have had to use the dealer for service it comes back with grease stains on the carpet, leaves throughout the interior and water spots everywhere. This is after I call to confirm that it is ready to pick up and they tell me to give them a few more hours to "clean" it. Now the real problem is not the dealer but who they hire to clean the boats, young kids who don’t own boats and who do not appreciate the effort and time it takes to have an awesome boat.
I do have to give the owner credit for clearing house a while back; they fired the service manager which led to half of the mechanics leaving. Now I not only have to deal with slobs but inexperienced slobs.
I took it in this past July for another steering cable replacement and asked them to adjust the throttle since it was a little jerky since I had a Perfect Pass installed. I picked up the boat and took it directly to the lake and it wouldn’t start, wouldn't event turnover. I called the service manager while I was still on the launch ramp, we couldn’t figure it out. I brought it immediately back to the dealer, Turns out they did not align the throttle to be in natural straight up, you had to move the throttle in reverse just a bit to get it to start. By now I was so pissed off I did not take the time to test the boat in the water. Well the next weekend I take it out and the throttle is still jerky. Now I’m really mad, so I go back, this is the third time for the same thing, takes the mechanic 10 minutes to adjust the throttle correctly. At which time I asked him “Don’t you test your work before you release the boat back to the owner”, he gave me a dumb look and said well yes but this must have slipped through.
It only gets better..As I’m leaving with my boat I see another owner that was there the last time I was, He said you back too? I explained my problem to him at which time he states that they put his rudder on backwards, he could not figure out why his boat was cavitating like crazy at any speed.
I would be interested to hear from anyone else who uses this dealer for their “service experiences. “

jmac197
11-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I do most all my service myself. My closest dealer is 2.5 hours away.

I'd much rather go out in the yard and spend 2 hours winterizing/working than 5 hours in a car.

mccobmd
11-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I drive 90 miles to the dealer for 3 reasons. 1) I'm a mechanical idiot and as Dirty Harry say's "A man's got to know his limitations" 2) The guys at David's Sports Center in Oklahoma City do a great job and treat my boat like it is theirs, winterizing and dewinterizing total $247.
3) I make an appointment and they do it while I'm waiting so I take my wife and kids to the mall. I miss an hour of mall time taking and picking up to boat. For me it's a no brainer but I do admire those of you with the aptitude to do it your self.

Diesel
11-08-2007, 12:13 PM
In th 10 years I owned my 205 it NEVER went back to dealer for service. Except for a few initial warranty issues on the 209 is also has NEVER been back to the dealer for service. They just don't break!

Tis' a shame too......I would put the service of my deal up against anyone's. They are great.....but I never get to see them.

NWMC
11-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I have called my local dealer (Cope McPhetres) both last winter and this winter to schedule an appointment to get the boat winterized. Both times they said they were busy, took my name and number and never called back. They are much further away than the other dealer located at the bottom of my hill. However the "other" dealer knows me by name, returns calls and gets the appointment scheduled within a week of my initial call. I realize there are a bunch of dealers who participate on this site. They always try and help someone out and often give tips on where to look when trouble shooting. You can bet when I need a part they will be getting the call instead of Cope.

jbfootin
11-08-2007, 01:19 PM
I always feel like I just got taken when I leave the dealer in GreenBay...Just my $.02

TheOneandOnly
11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Where does one have to go to get all the info on winterizing, tuneups, how to fix stuff etc, for any style of MC boat? Do they sell repair books? I realize the manual states some common stuff but not all.

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Where does one have to go to get all the info on winterizing, tuneups, how to fix stuff etc, for any style of MC boat? Do they sell repair books? I realize the manual states some common stuff but not all.

Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics Forum is a good place to start, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12

DooSPX
11-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I believe all the Dealers that are on this site are great. I have first hand experience with BAWS and I will tell you, they are GREAT!!!! Jim and Chuck are great people and go out of their way to help others. I had Chuck rush me a new set of Decals and he had them finished in 2 days and offered to put them on for me at the reunion.
BAWS will get my No. 1 vote all day everyday

Bruce
11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I have been waiting over a year for copy of service records from previous owners. This dealer delivered and serviced the boat from day one. I called when looking at the boat and service said they would be happy to send me all the service records. Still waiting. Dealer is Bennetts and they are a little over 100 miles away. After waiting this long for something so simple what do you think the chances of my buying my next boat or binging this one in for service are? Zero/Nada

jkski
11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Boat House Marine at TriLakes all the way.
They have the best service, return phone calls and are there for their customers no matter how big or small the job may be. They understand customer service and take it to a new level.

lanier92prostar
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I had two service visits in 15 years of owning my boat and both were negative experiences. The first time they took my dash apart and lost 2 screws that they did not replace and they let the boat fill up with water and leaves while they had it for 3 weeks to fix a light in the dash and a rattle since the boat was under warranty. The second time they got grease all over the boat while winterizing and spilled oil in the bilge that they did not immediately clean up. Since then, I have learned to do most maintenance myself and if I cannot do it, I have a local marine guy do it. The MC dealer I used was JOA in Buford and they no longer have MC. I might have to try to new dealer if I have a major problem.

JoshBuzz
11-08-2007, 07:39 PM
to many negative dealer comments here!! Someone needs to have a chat with y'alls service dept, or you need to buck up and take care of it yourselves instead of smiting the MC name!!

X2M
11-08-2007, 07:52 PM
cope & mcpheters is my closest dealer as well, I always felt like I was bothering them when trying to acquire parts or accessories, skis or wakeboards.

We had a lot more negative than positive experiences with Copes.

Valley Cycle and Marine is our dealer now. We have not had to take the boat in for service yet. But, we have had to call them a couple of times for parts. They have been great to work with. Helpful on the phone and in person .....even returning phone calls. Thanks guys. :)

NWMC
11-08-2007, 07:52 PM
The majority of the negative comments seem to be with the service departments. I have had great service with sales and accesories. MC makes a great product! As stated earlier it seems to be a few dealers who people are having problems with. Some dealers are mentioned more than once in different states. Maybe MC could go to those specific dealers and find out what the issue seems to be.

lanier92prostar
11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
I wish I was closer to some of the dealers who visit this site like Jim and MYMC. Then I would have more positive comments. 3 weeks to fix a light and a rattle after they told me 2 days made me wonder?? I know the new dealer dropped CC for MC's, I just haven't had a chance to visit yet.

kvalve
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
to many negative dealer comments here!! Someone needs to have a chat with y'alls service dept, or you need to buck up and take care of it yourselves instead of smiting the MC name!!

very insightful comments. to y'alls

rektek
11-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I didn't want this to be a dealer bashing contest, I work for a large automotive dealer and when people bring their vehicles somewhere else we want to know why. I hope this thread can remain constructive.