PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Flush

als2104
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I have a 2000 Buick Century with 86000 miles on it. I brought it in to have an oil change and they recommended that I flush the tranny fluid for $70. I can see that the fluid is dirty but is a fluid flush the right move? I've read around of some bad things about tranny fluid flushing. Would it just be smarter to change the fluid and filter without the flush? Any thoughts?

bcampbe7
11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't know where the mileage cut-off is, but I have always heard that it is not a good idea to flush a transmission on a vehicle with high mileage if it has never been done before. Something about the transmission slipping after the fluid flush. Not sure if that true or not. I normally just follow the vehicle's service schedule.

tommcat
11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
flushing gets all the fluid out, just dropping the pan will replace only a small portion of the fluid which is almost pointless. for example on a 16 quart system you might get 3 quarts of new fluid in by dropping the pan.
on a flush you get it all. including the fluid in the lines, cooler and converter.

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
flushing gets all the fluid out, just dropping the pan will replace only a small portion of the fluid which is almost pointless. for example on a 16 quart system you might get 3 quarts of new fluid in by dropping the pan.
on a flush you get it all. including the fluid in the lines, cooler and converter.

True, I always have mine flushed and I had to be shown the difference first before I was a believer and it is the same with a road vehicles cooling systems too. Just draining the radiator and draining the hoses will not remove old antifreeze/water mixture from deep inside the block. At my niece's husband's radiator shop they run a cleaning solution thru the engine between the old coolant and the new coolant that shows the transition from old to new, then the old coolant and cleaning solution is sent to a recycling facility.

captain planet
11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a 2000 Buick Century with 86000 miles on it. I brought it in to have an oil change and they recommended that I flush the tranny fluid for $70. I can see that the fluid is dirty but is a fluid flush the right move? I've read around of some bad things about tranny fluid flushing. Would it just be smarter to change the fluid and filter without the flush? Any thoughts?
I have heard this as well. Both of my vehicles are currently sitting with 84K miles on them. The car has never been changed. Unless the previous owner of my Suburban changed the tranny fluid before 45K when I bought it, it hasn't been done either. I have been running this through my head lately, but this issue bothers me. I plan on having both these vehicles for a while so I want to do the right thing to increase their longevity (sp?).

So what is the right move?