PDA

View Full Version : Oneill Psycho I & II wetsuits

Trent 197
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Peeps,

I need some advice on good wetsuits. I live in Louisiana, so I'm considering a 3/2 Oneill Psycho II. Anybody had any experience with the Pycho line of wetsuits? If not, what are some other good options (and I'm looking for good quality).

Thanks,

Trent
Baton Rouge

Sodar
11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Peeps,

I need some advice on good wetsuits. I live in Louisiana, so I'm considering a 3/2 Oneill Psycho II. Anybody had any experience with the Pycho line of wetsuits? If not, what are some other good options (and I'm looking for good quality).

Thanks,

Trent
Baton Rouge

Psychos are good suits. I was a little dissappointed with the quality/duration of use. I normally kill a suit within 7 or 8 months (approx. Oct. through June), but my Pyscho only lasted about 6 months last year. I was however impressed with its flexibility. My favorite suit though is the Infinity from Xcel (http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/surf/index.php?area=products).

Just to show you the love for Xcel, my buddy can get me a Pyscho for $150 and I still pay full price for the Xcel. :D Both are good suits, you just grow a preference.

tex
11-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Psychos are good suits. I was a little dissappointed with the quality/duration of use. I normally kill a suit within 7 or 8 months (approx. Oct. through June), but my Pyscho only lasted about 6 months last year. I was however impressed with its flexibility. My favorite suit though is the Infinity from Xcel (http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/surf/index.php?area=products).

Just to show you the love for Xcel, my buddy can get me a Pyscho for $150 and I still pay full price for the Xcel. :D Both are good suits, you just grow a preference.
How do you kill a suit that quick?

east tx skier
11-07-2007, 11:16 AM
My guess is he's using it primarily for real surfing (as opposed to the surfing we see behind boats).

Sodar
11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, mixed duties between surfing, jet skiing (stand-ups in surf) and waterskiing. I probably kill them fast too, because like last night, I skiied after work and then I wanted to go surfing this morning... rather than putting a wet wetsuit on to go surfing this morning at 5am, I threw my suit in the dryer last night with a few beach towels and I was good to go this morning!

A.I. Rider
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I will have to second the xcel infiniti 3/2. Had mine for surf and it has lasted me over 2 years....(I am looking to get a new one very soon as its about that time). I have not had the best of luck with the Oneil for durability reasons as well.

Bruce
11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Peeps,

Thanks,

Trent
Baton Rouge

Welcome aboard Trent. The avatar caught my eye. The real tigers!
War Eagle! (daughter graduated from Auburn)

Trent 197
11-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely check the xcel infiniti out. The only thing is I get a 30% discount on Oniells (one time shopping spree when I bought my boat).

I didn't realize that the suits gave out so quickly (even two years seems like a short duration for something that cost $400) Is it due to the salt water, or just wear and tear?

Trent 197
11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Welcome aboard Trent. The avatar caught my eye. The real tigers!
War Eagle! (daughter graduated from Auburn)
Thanks Bruce...what year did she graduate?

corey
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I have an Oniell Psycho 5/4 and a Heat 4/3 and love them both, the 5/4 is overkill but I got an incredible deal on it. It's super flexible, very comfortable and has a hood for super cold water I prefer it to my drysuit even in fridgid water because you can acutally move in it. Had this suit for 1 year, only occasional use as it's already getting down to 20 degree at night and the ski hills are blowing snow and starting to open.

The Heat has lasted 8+ years for wakeboarding, skiing, dock/lift removal, diving lessons and a dive trip. Overall not as flexible as the Psycho, but awesome bang for the buck.

Cary K.
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
I am certainly no authority on wetsuits (luckily) but I think the short lifespan is the exception rather than the norm. I have kept wetsuits for 5-8 yrs at a time. Occasional ocean surfing, but mostly wakeboarding. If you rinse the salt out, and hang them up to dry out of the sun, then they tend to last pretty long. I have only had to replace due to size and/or just wanting a new model.

Trent 197
11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
What water temperatures and air temperatures can you stand to ski in with a quality 3/2 suit?

Cary K.
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Most mfg's will tell you on the website, but a quality suit should be good for low 60 / mid-high 50 water temps. Quality is the key word here. The bigger names use better seam technology among other things to keep the water transfer to a minimum. Big difference between a nice suit and an Overtons suit. Although I do have an Overtons suit for this time of year. Not so good for when it is really cold though.

Bruce
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks Bruce...what year did she graduate?
I think it was 1989. I made a lot of ball games when she was there. She was a ZX little sister which was also my Frat. at Univ. of S.C. so it gave me a good base of operations. Super place Auburn!