PDA

View Full Version : Water skiing in the Olympics

Benny Boy
11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Let's all work together and give water skiing a chance to get another shot at the Olympics.

Go to this link: http://www.iwilldreambig.ca and click on ‘’contest’’, then vote for the Calgary video. The whole operation takes about 2 minutes. Once on the web site, you can find out how this contest can help water skiing get into the Olympics.

Who know's, you'll have a chance to win 2500$ in gas at Petro Canada . Some of you may have to drive a few miles to get there, but if you bring a few gas tanks, it may be worth it :D

You don’t need to be Canadian to vote. You can vote once for each email address.

TMCNo1
11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=424917&postcount=2

Benny Boy
11-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Ya, I know TMCNo1. Justy originally posted in the wrong place without realizing it. Thanks.

oldriver
11-07-2007, 06:25 AM
hey lets do this thing the sport needs some limelife
its easy

TMCNo1
11-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Ya, I know TMCNo1. Justy originally posted in the wrong place without realizing it. Thanks.

Just being sure I had posted in all the right places, no problem!

Benny Boy
11-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Man, I really thought more people woulkd get into this.

By the way, skiing into the olympics also means wakeboarding...

defender1009
11-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Wasn't skiing a "demonstration" sport at one of the olympics in the 80's?

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
The IOC has dangled the inclusion of Waterskiing in the Olympics in front of USA Waterski and the IWSF for nearly 20 years now, using the PanAm games as a testbed, but......................................:(
I understand the IOC still has a problem with humans (boat drivers) operating equipment (boats) that pulls a competitor and want to eliminate any favoritism factor, but would prefer a cable system/lake/pool that's too expensive for just waterskiing, but would eliminate any wake, blah, blah, blah among other excuses, ICBW.

Benny Boy
11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
The boat factor has been eliminated as an excuse. Skiing was a demonstration sport in 1972, then the boat and gas issue came up, but then disapeared with the arrival of Perfect Pass and end course video. The former IWSF president (Botero) was close friend with IOC then president and major efforts were done internationnally with a few million $ gathered and demonstrations made to the IOC. We were finally technically included in the Greece Olympics (Greece's request), but they had so much trouble back there with the construction of all the differerent venues and had so many political issues that the international IOC decided that no new sport would be included in these games. From there, we had to start all over again. Unfortunately, so many people put so much effort into getting into these games that they're all pretty tired now. This is why some new motivated people are trying to get the ball rolling again, and this contest is a major step in the right direction.

Benny Boy
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
VOTING TIPS FOR WATER SKI’S PITCH TO OLYMPICS
HELP WATER SKIING GET 1 MILLION VOTES! You can WIN $2,500 free gas!

The Petro-Canada Dream Big contest vote is still on! Votes for which sport will be pitched to the Olympic Committee can be cast up to midnight on November 16th! Vote for water ski (Calgary video) by following these easy steps:

Go to www.iwilldreambig.ca
Click on CONTEST, which is in the upper right hand corner
Click on Calgary video (top right corner)
Watch 18 seconds of the pitch, click on vote
Note! You will receive an e-mail from noreply@iwilldreambig.ca.to verify. Please open and click on the validation link in the email!

Some tips as relayed by members…

Ž If you have multiple different email addresses, cast and validate a vote with each one.

Ž If you are tuned into web networks such as My Space and Facebook, send out a request to friends to support a cause that is important to you. It is easy to do… and they are your friends, after all.

Ž After voting, there is a simple follow up -- validating your email address/vote. An incoming email arrives and with a simple click on the link, the email address for that vote becomes official. The vote doesn’t count until this validation! Please note that some email systems may place the Petro-Canada validation email into your JUNK folder. If you do not see the email in your inbox, check your JUNK folder and respond.

Ž The vote for water ski has gained support worldwide. The contest web site seems to accept votes cast by any valid email address anywhere in the world. The voter drawn for the $2,500 in free gas from Petro-Canada must, however, be from Canada. If one of our international supporters is drawn, perhaps we could arrange a donation of gas to the 2009 Worlds Championships in Calgary…

The contest vote for water ski is front-page news on many different web pages, including:

International Water Ski Federation
USA Water Ski
SkiFly.com
Water Ski and Wakeboard Canada

Ž And one from a 12 year old skier in a discussion with her father about casting a vote: “Don't just ask us to do this.....TELL us to do it and then it will get done because we are used to always being told what to do." Out of the mouth of babes…

Ž Many members have shared a copy of the email they have sent to everyone in their address book. We share one very good example:

Dear Friend – I know you are busy and so I will
> try to be brief – here is an address
> -
> <http://www.iwilldreambig.ca/>www.iwilldreambig.ca
> - Please make note of it but I will repeat it at the end.
>
> Many, many years ago, I met a young man from
> Kelowna, B.C. I immediately recognized his
> brilliance as an athlete and I was in a position
> to mentor him. In 1973, one of my proudest
> moments was to see him mount the top step of the
> podium at a World Championships in Spain and be
> recognized as the best water skier in the world.
> The trail he blazed has resulted in Canadians
> becoming among the best in this sport, We have
> won 63 medals in World competition. 32 have been
> gold - and some 34 years later, Canada’s best
> athlete of record might be 37-year-old Jaret
> Llewellyn of Inisfail, Alberta who has won 105
> titles including 9 World Championships, 14 US
> Masters and US Open medals and 25 Pan American
> medals. His record is unsurpassed by any Canadian
> athlete, in any sport. The 2009 World
> Championships will be his last World event and a
> perfect place to end a remarkable career as it will be held in Calgary.
>
> Petro Canada is holding a nation-wide contest to
> determine a sport that might be worthy of
> inclusion in future Olympic Games. Through the
> creative effort of Annica Collumbin of Calgary,
> water skiing is one of the 4 finalists. On
> Monday, November 5, voting begins and as a
> friend, I would ask you to take the time to go to
> the website -
> <http://www.iwilldreambig.ca/>www.iwilldreambig.ca
> and cast a vote in favour of water skiing, of
> Canada, of Jaret, of George and all the great
> water ski athletes who through the years have
> represented our country with honour. Petro-Canada
> will post the video of each of the four Canadian
> finalists on their web page, beginning on Monday,
> November 5th, calling to the general public to
> then cast their vote for the best sport
> presentation. BONUS -- With each vote, you get
> entered in a draw for a chance to win $2,500 in free gas at Petro-Canada!
>
> And one further request, please send this to all
> of your friends who might wish to support these
> great Canadians. The multiplier power of the
> internet can make a difference but I need your
> help. Here it is for the last time -
> <http://www.iwilldreambig.ca/>www.iwilldreambig.ca.
> When you get the site up, click on “contest” and
> then watch the Calgary video. The “vote” option
> comes up at the end. You are entitled to one vote
> per Email address and the voting ends on November
> 16 at 11.59.59pm. Please vote for the Calgary Video.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Clint Ward

Benny Boy
11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
No no no.... Can't let this thread get off the first page till Nov. 16

krakolos
11-12-2007, 10:51 AM
you are right on that Ben, let's keep it there.

krakolos
11-13-2007, 09:49 AM
We need all the support we can get from everyone. Just imagine how the pros would feel being in and winning the top honors for the world.

The Mastercraft Team Skiers should vote if they haven't yet. I think of Coxy, April Coble, Freddy, Sully and everyone else for that matter.

It is your life's sport please support it. We need the exposure from the medias. Waterskiing is still a left out sport in my opinion.

I find it scandalous to see what wages hockey players are getting with their 2 months off the rink (read playing golf).

Bring a 3.5 million a year down to each game. Even if they don't score they still get paid. Skiers, if they miss a gate they go home empty handed + the expense burden imposed by going to the competition in the first place.

We all know what it takes to run 38, 41 or 43 off. Let's shed some light on these guys and girls for their often lifetime commitment to the sport.

This is my humble opinion. I sometimes succeed at running 15 off at 30 mph. But my spirit is up there.

Happy skiing everyone

Benny Boy
11-13-2007, 05:21 PM
3 days left to vote folks. Read the first post of this thread.

Leroy
11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I voted.

The first time I looked I thought she was snow skiing :)

mcrider
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
i put my vote in

Benny Boy
11-14-2007, 09:13 AM
I voted.

The first time I looked I thought she was snow skiing :)

Ya, I saw a few pictures and I must admit by the way they're dressed it doesn't look too much like summer.

Benny Boy
11-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh ya, Friday the 16th at midnite is the deadline

André
11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Done.
Hope it wins even if the odds of getting waterski into the Olympics are slim i tip my hat to anyone who try!!!:)

krakolos
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
pick up the phone make shure your dealer as voted, your wife as voted, your mother in law as voted, your ex as voted, your previous mother in law as voted. Come on make the effort.

Whoooooooooshhh !

C36
11-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Cast my vote and confirmed my vote.