PDA

View Full Version : Rudder play

6ballsisall
03-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Should there be any play in the rudder? I grabbed hold of mine today and checked tolerance and there is quite a bit of play side to side. I remember last fall when i had it on the water there wasn't any leaks coming from there. Is this normal?

Nova Scotia Skier
03-14-2005, 08:53 PM
This is why I put a new rudder box in my boat this winter. There were no water leaks with mine either.

6ballsisall
03-14-2005, 09:08 PM
This is why I put a new rudder box in my boat this winter. There were no water leaks with mine either.

Did your boat steer funny? Where did you buy the box? On skidim all I found was the whole rudder assembely. What was the cost of this?

Nova Scotia Skier
03-14-2005, 09:21 PM
The boat did steer funny with a couple passengers towing a skier. Right around center position. Hard to keep a good path in the course.
I bought the box from Gordon Bay Marine in Ontario(Mastercraft dealer). It cost about $130 CDN if I remember right. My receipt is at the cottage. This was just the box and not the rudder. Quite an inexpensive fix. I was impressed. :)

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Jeff you need to stay out of that garage! :twocents: :D

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
My father-in-law's boat has too much play in the steering. I'm hoping he got it fixed over the winter, but he hasn't mentioned it. I've got no play in mine and a nice rightward pull.

6ballsisall
03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Talked to ski dim today. The dealio is they say up to 1/4" play is acceptable. Apparently somewhere around the same year as my boat (86) they switched rudder assemblies. Some assemblies had grease zerks and some where sealed. He recommended I check and see if there is a zerk or not. If there is, he said chances are good I can buy some seals from MC and that will cure the problem. If not, he said I prety much stuck buying a new rudder assembly. Hope for a grease zerk everyone!

Thrall
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
From what I was told by the MC dlr, a small amount of play is acceptable, but that play is taken up by the grease. My boat had a little play in the rudder when I bought it. Greased it and it was solid then and has remained tight ever since.
Try greasing it first before making repairs, IMO.