PDA

View Full Version : Stereo questions, 07 X-Star

bhamripper
11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I bought a 2007 x star this year and with the season ending it is time for some stereo upgrades. I contacted my dealer and all the work was done through them. What I added was 4 JL tower speakers and traded my stock JL M2150 for a JL M6450. I was told by the dealer this would be my best option. So my system consists of six JL cockpit speakers each with their own tweeter, four JL tower speakers with their own tweeter and one JL sub. What powers them are two JL M6450. I though with 12 channels each speaker would have been wire to a dedicated channel and channel 5 and 6 of one of the amps would be bridge for the sub. When I got it back from the dealer the four rear cockpit speaker are wired to channel 1 through 4 and 5 and 6 are bridge for the sub. The bow speakers are still running of the deck. As for the tower speakers there is only two wires coming from tower and wired to a couple of channels on the other JL M6450. My problem is the tower speakers are massively louder than the cockpit speakers forcing me to use the fade to make them equal with the cockpit speakers. Also the sub is nearly non-exsitant and have to turn up bass boost on the deck to really get any sound out of it. I was getting much more bass from it when it was hooked to the JL m2150 before I added the tower speakers. My question for you guys is should I rewire all the speakers to be on their own dedicated channel or is the way my dealer installed them ok? (For you info, I believe my dealer is incompetent and have had massive amounts of issues with them) If it is ok, then what setting would be optimal for best performance? Also how can I get more bass out of the sub (the amp is set for mono for these two channels and is in LP) or am I going to have to add another JL M1400. Thanks in advance.

rick s.
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I had the same issues as you, so I had a Zapco SP4 equalizer installed. This allows really easy adjustment of inside speaker vs tower speaker volume and really nice tone control. Essentially it sits between the head unit and the amplifiers.

One of the best additions I have made to the boat.

rick s.
11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh, the SP4 also has sub volume controls too.

duckguy
11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
I am going to be doing this in the upcoming months to my new xstar. ALL speakers should have two channels worth. Meaning 20 channels worth for the boat interior and tower. A mono amp then should be used to run the new subs you will put in-2 12's in a sealed box would be nice. The open air JL is just not sufficent and will bottom out quicly with some volume.

rrbooker
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
What is the gain set at on both the amps? i'm guessing the tower amp is all the way up? I wouldn't run anything off the back of the stereo, put the bow speakers on the tower amp. IMO you aren't going to get much more out of that sub. I ended up adding 2 10" subs under the rear seats to help with the bass. You can see some of my setup pics in my photos.

skeeler
11-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I am going to be doing this in the upcoming months to my new xstar. ALL speakers should have two channels worth. Meaning 20 channels worth for the boat interior and tower. A mono amp then should be used to run the new subs you will put in-2 12's in a sealed box would be nice. The open air JL is just not sufficent and will bottom out quicly with some volume.
Just out of curiosity, where are you putting the box for your the 12's?

JBaker
11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I bought a 2007 x star this year and with the season ending it is time for some stereo upgrades. I contacted my dealer and all the work was done through them. What I added was 4 JL tower speakers and traded my stock JL M2150 for a JL M6450. I was told by the dealer this would be my best option. So my system consists of six JL cockpit speakers each with their own tweeter, four JL tower speakers with their own tweeter and one JL sub. What powers them are two JL M6450. I though with 12 channels each speaker would have been wire to a dedicated channel and channel 5 and 6 of one of the amps would be bridge for the sub. When I got it back from the dealer the four rear cockpit speaker are wired to channel 1 through 4 and 5 and 6 are bridge for the sub. The bow speakers are still running of the deck. As for the tower speakers there is only two wires coming from tower and wired to a couple of channels on the other JL M6450. My problem is the tower speakers are massively louder than the cockpit speakers forcing me to use the fade to make them equal with the cockpit speakers. Also the sub is nearly non-exsitant and have to turn up bass boost on the deck to really get any sound out of it. I was getting much more bass from it when it was hooked to the JL m2150 before I added the tower speakers. My question for you guys is should I rewire all the speakers to be on their own dedicated channel or is the way my dealer installed them ok? (For you info, I believe my dealer is incompetent and have had massive amounts of issues with them) If it is ok, then what setting would be optimal for best performance? Also how can I get more bass out of the sub (the amp is set for mono for these two channels and is in LP) or am I going to have to add another JL M1400. Thanks in advance.

To be PC, lets just say your dealer didn't do you any favors. You could add some equipment as suggested, but if I were you I would first rewire yours and see what you think. Don't have anything running off the deck. Simply run your tower speakers and sub off one and then run the cockpit speakers off the other. Pretty simple just how you described it.

To get better performance out of your sub, make sure you have the non fade all the way up if it is connected to the non-fade outs on the deck. Make sure you have it crossed over properly at about 90Hz. Then adjust the gain and bass boost by ear. You have enough power to get a good not AMAZING setup. If you add any more amps you are going to be dealing with current draw issues and will likely need to add batteries and a beefy alternator.:twocents:

bhamripper
11-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I have no clue what the gains are set at. I will try and find out after I get home. I have figured out that the tower speakers are run off of channel one and two being bridge and channel three and four being bridge. So from my understand that means they are running at two ohms and the rest of the cockpit speakers running on 4 ohms. Is this my problem? Also I am running two batteries and if I add another amp for the sub will I have to add another battery?

rrbooker
11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I run 3 bigger amps and have never had a problem starting, or my system cutting out! you won't need to add another battery or change your alternator, if you add a 3rd amp! I always leave my perko switch on "Both". Also you won't hurt the amp if 4 channels are running at a different ohm, it just makes it alittle harder to tune!

rrbooker
11-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Also if they did bridge the tower speakers, you need to make sure the speakers are wired in parallel and not series. That amp is stable at 4 and 8 ohms win its bridged!

prostar205
11-05-2007, 06:35 PM
bhamripper -

Since you have effectively 12 channels of available, here is what I would do. Remember, alway try to run the speakers at 4 ohms because it is so much easier on the amp. Howver, the JL amps you have are stable down to 2 ohms.

First, run two additional sets of 14 AWG wire to the tower so you can run all 4 tower speakers separately at 4 ohms. What they (your dealer) did is probably wire each pair (L or R) together and into channels 1/2 and 3/4 on one of your amps. Run the 4 pairs of tower speaker wires inot channels 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Second, on the same amp running the tower speakers, bridge channels 5 and 6 to run your sub. This will only put out 150W to the sub which is not going to do much for a free air sub, but its better than nothing.

Third, wire the 6 interior speakers seperately to channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 on the second amp.

Fourth, run the "front" RCA output from the deck to the amp running the interior speakers. Run hte "rear" and "sub" RCA outputs from the deck to the amp running the tower speakers and sub. This way you can still use your fader and turn off either the interior speakers or the tower speakers seperately.

Lastly, I would throw away all the speaker wires that came with the boat and run 4 AWG Stinger OFC speaker wire.

The hardest part of this will be running 2 additional wire pairs to the tower. You will need to get another 4 position Weather Pack connector.

Finally, when all this is done, comes the tuning part. My guess is part of your problem is the gain on the tower speakers is cranked and the interior speaker gain is set really low.

As has been stated before, do not run any speakers off the deck.

Cross the sub on channels 5/6 at about 80Hz in the LP filter mode. Cross the tower and interior speakers at about 90Hz in the HP filter mode.

That should do it.

bhamripper
11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys, Looks like I will be rewiring this weekend:D

duckguy
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I am going to put it up under the observers seat.

ridesdirt
11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Let us know how it turns out.

I have an '07 with the factory set up and four tower speakers. I am very happy with the performance. I must be older than you'all! lol

craig3972
11-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I put two 12" subs in bandpass (ported) boxes, located them in the front of each rear storage compartment. I made a sealed enclosure for the factory 10" sub in its original spot. I replaced the Clairion head unit with an Alpine (5volt output and separate subcontrol). I replaced the batteries with Optima blue tops and ran two size1 welding cable from the batteries to the amps. I also stuffed the tower cans with Dacron to help with the factory 6" Clairions. The 6" Clairions are ok - but many other no-marine speakers sound much better.

skeeler
11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I put two 12" subs in bandpass (ported) boxes, located them in the front of each rear storage compartment. I made a sealed enclosure for the factory 10" sub in its original spot. I replaced the Clairion head unit with an Alpine (5volt output and separate subcontrol). I replaced the batteries with Optima blue tops and ran two size1 welding cable from the batteries to the amps. I also stuffed the tower cans with Dacron to help with the factory 6" Clairions. The 6" Clairions are ok - but many other no-marine speakers sound much better.
Any pics?

rrbooker
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I put my subs under my 2 back seats. That way I could have room to run the flyhigh system, and my wife could have room to put all her crap under the pasenger seat! The FlyHigh sacs fill the back compartments about 99%! The only thing is you have to go with 10" subs. I had the 2 boxes wrapped in fiberglass, and painted black to match!

Port side sub

rrbooker
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
starboard side sub

rrbooker
11-06-2007, 03:49 PM
here is another on the port side!

skeeler
11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks!!! Looks great. That gets my mind thinking for sure.....now I just have to wait until mine gets here.

rrbooker
11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks!!! Looks great. That gets my mind thinking for sure.....now I just have to wait until mine gets here.

any luck with your x2?

skeeler
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
any luck with your x2?
It is gone!! Delivered Friday to the San Antonio area. Not bad, 1875 miles in three days! :confused:

ridesdirt
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Your bass must put out a wake!

The boxes look good, fiberglass makes a nice job for sure.

rrbooker
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
What color and yr xstar did you go with?

I had the boxes made at http://www.tccustomz.com/universal_enclosures?b=1

They made them to my specs!

skeeler
11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
What color and yr xstar did you go with?

I had the boxes made at http://www.tccustomz.com/universal_enclosures?b=1

They made them to my specs!
2008 X-Star. Here is the specs, but we dropped the black hull on the bottom.

rrbooker
11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Nice! You can never go wrong with black!

ridesdirt
11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
sorry, highjack.

Skeeler,

From the date on the order sheet it looks like it's been on order about 6 weeks, how long does it take for one to come in?

macrogp18
11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
With an X-star you got room for 4 15s!!

bhamripper
11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
OK, got home and looked at the gains, tower speaker as rrbooker thought, were way up compared to that of the cockpit speakers. I adjusted the gains and now it is ten times better. I will get to rewiring the boat this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

skeeler
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
sorry, highjack.

Skeeler,

From the date on the order sheet it looks like it's been on order about 6 weeks, how long does it take for one to come in?
Be here Friday, from what I was told.