PDA

View Full Version : I will need all winter

RK@UST
11-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I just recently bought a Canon 30D in hopes of taking some great action shots next summer .
At this point , my goal is to learn how to take good still shots with different light conditions.
I had NO IDEA how much went in to photography.
I have never had anything but a point and shoot, and let me tell you, that's all I ever did.
This thing is a machine and just the fact of knowing there are adjustments in aperture,shutter speed, ISO, and on and on is quite frankly a little overwhelming at this point.
I will need all winter and that means spending some serious time during the winter too, learning about this.
However, it really seems interesting, and challenging. I am looking forward to it.
I have seen some of the shots on this board, that have a new meaning now. Good job to those of you who have put the time in.

Jerseydave
11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
You might be best to take a photography night course at your local school or college. Good way to burn-up some free time in the winter! ;)

Lennyp04
11-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Got my class in 2nd semester. Gotta use a 35mm for my pictures though.

Harvey
11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Some of us on the board come from 35mm backgrounds, at least I did. I don't concentrate enough on it but it helps to have the foundation for the digital world. A college course might be a good place to get some basic skills.

phecksel
11-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, you also get to learn how to process the digital files, which can be almost as overwhelming as taking the photos.

3event
11-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Canon has some online tutorials that are geared toward the Rebel XT or XTI, but they cover a LOT of the basics:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=278&productID=71&articleTypeID=48

VirtualWi
11-06-2007, 08:28 AM
I have also found this site to be a great tool. It gets a little technical at times, but there is some great information out there. Also (doesn't matter if you're a Nikon guy), check out www.kenrockwell.com

This guy is an MIT professor that has photography as a hobby - his site quickly became one of the busiest in the business and is responsible for about 60% of MIT's server - he's also an interesting writer on his travels. www.photo.net

flyingskibiker
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I have the same camera. Don't try to use all the functions at once. One can just use the fully automatic mode. If you want, you can do all the changes in software after you download the pictures. Yes, you will "miss" some shots. But you will do the same when you are experimenting and trying things for the first time. Also, think of it this way, once you learn it all, you can always apply it in the future. I started with a 35mm that didn't have any automatic functions. That was fun! Then, I "moved up" to a more professional model before auto focus. Now, I have the 30D. I'm still learning. But all that I learned from the other cameras is a great base. Though, I have a learning curve with all the software!