PDA

View Full Version : Oil recommendation for L-18

prostar205
03-14-2005, 07:18 PM
It time to change the oil before the start of the season. I read over at MyMastercraft.com that either MasterCraft and/or Indmar has changed their recommended oil from 15W-40 to straight 40W on the L-18. Have anyone else heard this news? What is everyone using for in their L-18s? Pennzoil, Mobile 1, etc.....

I am not doubting the information on the other site. I just wanted to verify. I went to the Indmar web site and pulled the owners manual for the L-18. It still says to use 15W-40. I have also emailed Indmar to get their take on things.

Thanks,

Tom

prostar205
03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Ok - since no one replyed to my thread on this subject, I called Indmar direct and they did verify the use of straight 40W oil inplace of 15W-40. The customer service representative also told me that if the boat has 100+ hours on it, then synthetic 40W would be acceptable. The use of synthetic does not lengthen the service intervals. Oil changes still have to be performed every 50 hours.

Has anyone changed over to synthetic?

Thanks,

Tom

east tx skier
03-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey Tom, calling Indmar was the best way to satisfy yourself on the subject. That's what I did last year (different engine though). There's a good thread on synthetics that's been pretty active over the last couple of days.

prostar205
03-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks -

I will check the thread out. Since I am a stickler for changing my oil every 50 hours, I probably will go with the conventional Pennzoil Heavy Duty Marine grade 40W oil.

Thanks for the tip on the synthetic thread.

Tom

gene dobies
03-17-2005, 09:02 AM
You can go to Indmar.com and download the owners manual or read it online.