PDA

View Full Version : Help me clean my bottom

Chas
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
OK - not my bottom, the boat's bottom.

I have 'bottom paint' on my antique S&S, and I want it off. I would like to at least hope to be able to buff the hull to a nice gloss again. I don't know if I will spend much time on the very bottom, but I don't want it to show on the side and near the bow.

So - what takes this off with the least damage or dulling to the gel coat?

Or - am I just going to have to get the sander out and select a fine-grit wet sandpaper?

I have heard that making dust from this paint is deadly, so I am hoping for a spray on, rinse off chemical or some other magic method.

TMCNo1
11-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Fortunately, I've never had to deal with bottom paint on a boat.

Toilet paper always works for my bottom!:rolleyes:

Jerseydave
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
A newer method for removing bottom paint is soda blasting. This is mostly used to prep the hull for bottom painting again, so I'm not sure how it would effect the gelcoat underneath. Besides using baking soda, some companies use walnut shells, again not sure how well the gel would look after these methods.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

bigmac
11-05-2007, 08:30 AM
What is the paint? Polyurethane vs epoxy makes a huge difference.

Mechanical removal of paint without damaging underlying gelcoat is VERY operator dependant. Soda blasting is much better suited for someone who's looking to prepare the hull for re-gelcoating. You will almost certainly lose some gelcoat, especially if the paint color is at all similar to the gelcoat color. White-on-white, for example, means that the blaster won't know he's done with a certain spot until he sees the darker fiberglass layer. Oops.

I think you're going to be stuck with some kind of chemical application. The polyester resin of the gelcoat is pretty inert to a lot of that stuff. I've seen people talk about Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK, trichloroethane, all will USUALLY not damage gelcoat that's hardened but I'd sure test that statement thoroughly and do a lot of research. All of these are potentially dangerous chemicals and using them on a broad scale, like the bottom of a boat, need a lot of consideration before the casual boat owner undertakes it. If I were going to try to take a hull barrier coat off, usually some kind of polyurethane, I'd do a lot of research, get some professional opinions, and price out having it done professionally. Whatever you do, you have the distinct potential of having to pay not only for the paint removal but also subsequent large scale gelcoat reapplication.

I'm not sure what solvents one might use to remove an epoxy barrier coat. That stuff might HAVE to use a mechanical removal method. I don't envy you that job.

dpolen
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Depending on what kind of bottom paint you have...

I used a rotary buffer and rubbing compound to remove the bottom paint on my previous boat. It was a pain in the butt to say the least...I still have blue paint residue on anything that was even in close proximity 4 years ago. Sanding was the only way to get some of the stubborn paint off, but the rubbing compound did a pretty good job. I then waxed the heck out of the bottom...this was the worst project I have ever undertaken with a boat, if I had to do it again, I would pay to have it done.

Good luck!

G-man
11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Fortunately, I've never had to deal with bottom paint on a boat.

Toilet paper always works for my bottom!:rolleyes:

glad to hear that, I thought you sanded with 6 grades of sand paper with a coat of teak oil imbetween

Chas
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks -

I am not looking forward to this project. I doubt I will remove the coating over the entire bottom of the hull - it's just too much labor, and this particular boat isn't worth paying for this job.

So I will test some of the items mentioned so far - I have MEK and several of the other solvents mentioned. I also have no problem trying Easy-Off oven cleaner.

Any thoughts on simple paint remover?

Marcos
11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I've used paint stripper on my former boat, but it was still a !@#$% job. Spent two weeks lying on my back under the boat with fumes of the paint stripper...:eek: Whatever you choose, be prepared to spent an enormous amount of time to get it right.

I going to get the antigrowth of my PS190 next spring, but now I'm paying someone to do it! :D I will ask how they will attack this problem and get back to you.

wats218
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Chas, I also need to remove some bottom paint. How did your project go? Any advice?

Gonzo
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
glad to hear that, I thought you sanded with 6 grades of sand paper with a coat of teak oil imbetween

now thats just plain funny.

TMCNo1
12-31-2008, 03:40 PM
now thats just plain funny.

Nowhere near as funny as the scream you would hear when I apply teak oil to freshly sanded azz cheeks!

Gonzo
12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
I thought stain was a base, not an Assid

BriEOD
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
My neighborhood is right on the water and we have a community ramp, dock and slips. Unfortunately, we would need a serious electrical upgrade to allow lifts. Consequently, boats just sit in the water 8 months or so a year. I was cringing this year as I watched some of my neighbors pull their boats out and saw the bottoms...OMG!! No thx, I'll keep mine on the trailer and take the extra 5-10 minutes to get on/off the ramp and the 7 houses I have to drive to and from the ramp.

flipper
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I still trying to figure out what "teal" oil is

BriEOD
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Here is a shot:

Gonzo
12-31-2008, 04:12 PM

you use that on the 80s throwback xstar platfrom. they make a hot pink and neon yellow too!

Gonzo
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Im with you Bri, I made the mistake of leaving her in the water for 7 days over vacation this yr. next time I do that I will be pulling it up mid week for a rub down and some wax.

flipper
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
you use that on the 80s throwback xstar platfrom. they make a hot pink and neon yellow too!

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
12-31-2008, 08:17 PM

Good catch, I edited it to teak!