PDA

View Full Version : Winterization-Trailer

Oklahoma 280STS
11-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Do any of you all jack up your trailer to take weight off the axle(s) during the winter? Would it also keep that flat spot from developing on the bottom side of the tire?

dsoby
11-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I used to with my previous boat (w/ single axle trailer). The owner's manual recommended it for the reason that you mentioned. I have a dual axle trailer now and have not done so with it.

mccobmd
11-04-2007, 11:54 PM
I have a dual axle trailer and put it on jack stands for 2 reasons. It keeps the weight of the tires. If you will once every 2 weeks spin the wheels it can keep the bearings from developing rust spots.

Leroy
11-05-2007, 01:27 AM
From a general problem:
I don't and mark this up to old wife's tale as I haven't heard the science that explains this now. Maybe with older tires this happened, 30 years ago or more.

Specifically what I do:
I still have orginal tires from 2001 and probably 7k miles on them. I've always just parked it for the winter, never jacked up.

TMCNo1
11-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I usually do just for the giggles of it, if only to service the wheel bearings, clean the back side of the wheels and tires and apply protectant to the tires. I also put a jackstand under the tongue to take the weight off the jack.