PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics of a 97 PS 205

alletric
11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Just wondering what would your opinions be about a 97 PS205. I am currently running an 89 PS 190 and mainly slalom and pull a rideable. about 50/50. I am looking for more room and a better ride without putting out a huge wake and was wondering what you guys think specifically compared to the 89 I currently have. I am not that concerned about gaining some edge as long as I am still able to cut it up on occasion. Emphasis on family and room at this point without going to an I/O. Thanks for your input.

alletric
11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I was also wondering about the beam and legnth comparison as well.

blackcreek
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Just wondering what would your opinions be about a 97 PS205. Emphasis on family and room at this point without going to an I/O. I have a 97 205 and love it, the room factor far outweighs any negatives about a bigger wake as far as I am concerned. I do a lot of cruising also and the extra room for passengers is great.

alletric
11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-MASTERCRAFT-PROSTAR-205_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63686QQihZ007QQitem Z170164682897QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Jim,
What do you know about this boat? I see BAWS stickers on it. Is it in the market place? I haven't seen it and will look again,

east tx skier
11-04-2007, 10:42 PM
The wake will be larger, but still very skiable.

BrianM
11-04-2007, 11:29 PM
I spend a lot of time skiing behind my ski partners '97 205. I own a '97 190 and used to own a '88 190 so I think I can give you a pretty good comparison.

As far as ski wake goes the 205 is going to have the largest wake of the 3 boats. It still skis pretty darn good though and has no spray.

Interior wise for people the 205 is HUGE. You get nice large and deep bow seating. Storage wise either of the two 190s will have more storage especially the '97 but with a tower obviously the 205 will also have an advantage there.. According to my '97 brochure the 205 is 20'7" long and has an 87" beam. For comparison the 190 is 19'5" and has an 85" beam. Although that doesn't sound like much it is. The 14" of additional length is all in front of the windshield. My biggest gripe about the 205 is the handling compared to the 190s. All of that length in the bow really makes it feel like you are driving a station wagon instead of a sports car. The 205s drive a nice straight line but in tight manuvers they kinda feel like a barge to me. It will feel like a BIG boat after getting out of that '89 190 of yours.

All of that being said the 205 is a great all around boat that is no slouch to ski behind.The 205 is definitely the best family watersports boat compared to the other two. Plenty of room for people to spread out and still has a decent amount of storage for a day on the water. Also keep in mind that that era 205 rides on the same hull as the original X Star and is still used today in V drive configuration as the X1. So your boaarding wake should be great if you ever decide that is what you want to do.

Mikey
11-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I have a 97 205 and I love it, the extra room is great. I do not ski though so I dont really know about the ski wake. I have heard that a 92-95 205 would be a better wake for a skier. Also in the FAQ section of this forum there is a link to the history of the 205 that would answer alot of your questions.

BTW, my 97 will be for sale in February/March timeframe.;)

alletric
11-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Thank's for the input. Sounds like a wise choice. I have found one locally that has a 220 hours on it and in mint condition. They are asking 19,000.00 for it. Any opinions what it should go for?

alletric
11-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Thank's for the input. Sounds like a wise choice. I have found one locally that has a 220 hours on it and in mint condition. They are asking 19,000.00 for it. Any opinions what it should go for?

ShamrockIV
11-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I can also peak from expierence! I bought a 97 205 from a buddy of mine this ummer when he traded for a new x14. He was the original owner of the boat and treated it better than anyone you can imagine. It has 450 hours and is immaculate!! (See my pics!!!!!!)

As for an awesome do it all boat the 205 is a good selection. i have four yound daughters and they extra room makes soooooooooo much difference!!!! it rides really well and does all the watersports that u ask it too!!

Sounds like a pretty decent deal for that boat depending on the shape it is in and if it has a tower, etc.
I gave alot less but my buddy sold me his for what the dealer was gonna give him for trade so i could not pass the deal up!!!!!

PM me if you want to talk 205's!!

ShamrockIV
11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I can also speak from expierence! I bought a 97 205 from a buddy of mine this ummer when he traded for a new x14. He was the original owner of the boat and treated it better than anyone you can imagine. It has 450 hours and is immaculate!! (See my pics!!!!!!)

As for an awesome do it all boat the 205 is a good selection. i have four yound daughters and they extra room makes soooooooooo much difference!!!! The storage is a small inconvience though, but i am adding a titan tower and some racks this winter to solve that!! it rides really well and does all the watersports that u ask it too!!

Sounds like a pretty decent deal for that boat depending on the shape it is in and if it has a tower, etc.
I gave alot less but my buddy sold me his for what the dealer was gonna give him for trade so i could not pass the deal up!!!!!

PM me if you want to talk 205's!!

yippikaiyay
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM

I've got the 97' 205. The best thing about our boat is its versatility, w'boarding, slalom and room to take everyone on the dock.
This used one you're looking at sounds like a good price to me, especially with it being an asking price. The hours are extremely low, that's averaging 20 per summer, it should be mint inside and out. With this being a good buying season, you might get a great deal on a great boat in above average condition. I'd be taking a serious look.

ShamrockIV
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree with the above post. I Pretty much stole mine cause it was alot less than that, But if that boat checks out it should be worth close to that and i they want 19K i would hate to offer about 17K if i did not want it!!!!

east tx skier
11-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I have heard that a 92-95 205 would be a better wake for a skier.

To echo this statement, I think the 92--95 205 strikes the best balance between slalom wake and interior room. Storage isn't quite what the 190 would be because the storage under the observer seat doesn't pass through to the under bow seating. There is a ski locker in the walk through, but it tends to get wet down there. Slalom wake and handling are very good for this generation of 205.

X2M
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Have you looked it up on NADA yet?

We sold our '97 205 a couple of years ago for around $25,000. Resale seems to be a little higher in California though. It was a great boat. If it had had a tower (and we didn't go to the boat show) we would still have it. Good luck.