PDA

View Full Version : flywheel

87MCProstar
11-04-2007, 11:34 AM
hey guys, took tranny off block yesterday and noticed a nice third pattern of worn/broken teeth on the fly wheel. is it a normal 157 tooth ford flywheel?

TMCNo1
11-04-2007, 05:42 PM
hey guys, took tranny off block yesterday and noticed a nice third pattern of worn/broken teeth on the fly wheel. is it a normal 157 tooth ford flywheel?

It should be, but call Skidim, 1-803-345-0996, talk to Vince or Richard to make sure and see if they have or can get you one or maybe a FoMoCo dealership can help if it's a std. flywheel.

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2007, 05:37 PM
GOD FORBID THAT YOU WOULD HAVE A MASTERCRAFT DEALER RECOMMENDED AS YOUR SOURCE FOR A PART. THAT WOULD BE SACRLIDGE UNHEARD OF ON THIS SITE.

CALL YOUR LOCAL DEALER !!!

TRBenj
11-05-2007, 05:44 PM
GOD FORBID THAT YOU WOULD CALL A MASTERCRAFT DEALER TO GET THE PART THAT YOU NEED, OR EVEN HAVE A DEALER RECOMMENDED TO YOU.
No offense, but why go to a dealer for a standard Ford part? Perhaps the dealer is far away- why waste the drive or the expense of shipping a heavy flywheel when a local junkyard part will work? At this point, hes not even asking where to buy it, hes just gathering info about his Mastercraft on a Mastercraft forum. God forbid is right!

MYMC
11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
GOD FORBID THAT YOU WOULD HAVE A MASTERCRAFT DEALER RECOMMENDED AS YOUR SOURCE FOR A PART. THAT WOULD BE SACRLIDGE ON THIS SITE.

Ahhh, ummm, Hey Jim...it actually "sacrilege"...sorry but I went to Catholic school and can't let this one go by.

FYI: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13321a.htm

(can't really even agree with the sentiment...I would use www.mymastercraft.com and save some money over either idea!)

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
SORRY MIKE. SOMETIMES I DON"T SPELL SO GOOD GOSH DAMIT.

ANYWAYS...GOD FORBID A MC DEALER IS RECOMMENDED !!!

Jim@BAWS

TMCNo1
11-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Then answer the gentleman's question, before anyone else makes recommendations for someone he can ask and get a answer from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88 PS190
11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
how are the teeth on the starter? might as well check while you are in there.

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2007, 08:54 PM
QUOTE: "and see if they have or can get you one or maybe a FoMoCo dealership can help if it's a std. flywheel."

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
No offense, but why go to a dealer for a standard Ford part? Perhaps the dealer is far away- why waste the drive or the expense of shipping a heavy flywheel when a local junkyard part will work? At this point, hes not even asking where to buy it, hes just gathering info about his Mastercraft on a Mastercraft forum. God forbid is right!

Better yet just buy the RING GEAR

BrianM
11-05-2007, 09:06 PM
GOD FORBID THAT YOU WOULD HAVE A MASTERCRAFT DEALER RECOMMENDED AS YOUR SOURCE FOR A PART. THAT WOULD BE SACRLIDGE UNHEARD OF ON THIS SITE.

Dealers are great for MC specific items but when it comes to engine and tune up parts especially for older boats that is DIMs speciality. You call them up and they have all of your info on file will troubleshoot with you over the phone and send out the right parts. DIM has their niche and this is it.

TMCNo1
11-05-2007, 09:26 PM

MasterCraft, MC Dealer, Skidim, PCM, Indmar, FoMoCo dealer, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Jegs, Summit, Moe's Used Auto Salvage Yard or someone has the answer to this man's question, right?
Then answer it, is it a normal 157 tooth Ford flywheel?

88 PS190
11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Better yet just buy the RING GEAR

does that require a machinist?

alletric
11-06-2007, 06:12 AM
does that require a machinist?
Yes. It has to be heated and then pressed on. I think there was a bit of sarcasim there.

Jayc
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Yes its a standard 157 tooth and no it doesn't have to be pressed on. Heating with an oven or propane torch will expand it enough to fit over the flywheel.

I've done one in the past and was easy. Just remove the old ring gear (drill and chisel), place the flyweel level on a couple of bricks. heat ring gear, place it ove the flywheel and allow to cool.

alletric
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Yes its a standard 157 tooth and no it doesn't have to be pressed on. Heating with an oven or propane torch will expand it enough to fit over the flywheel.

I've done one in the past and was easy. Just remove the old ring gear (drill and chisel), place the flyweel level on a couple of bricks. heat ring gear, place it ove the flywheel and allow to cool.
I guess I am saying that I would take it to a place that had done it before. I have seen several of them done and i wouldn't do it. I have also seend them not expand enough and need a little force. If you have never done it before the differeance between a little could end up costing a lot.

TMCNo1
11-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I guess I am saying that I would take it to a place that had done it before. I have seen several of them done and i wouldn't do it. I have also seend them not expand enough and need a little force. If you have never done it before the differeance between a little could end up costing a lot.

Information, for your use. It's your boat, your money, and your choice. Please compare, availability, cost, shipping charges, etc. from other suppliers including a Mastercraft Dealer.
This is what I found out from someone I recommended,

>157 tooth is a standard Ford flywheel on a 351 Ford Engine.

>Replacement 157 tooth Ring Gear only, $104.13 + Shipping and in stock.

>Replacement 157 tooth flywheel, $515.19 + Shipping and in stock.

Any good local mechanic can change the ring gear for you with little trouble for around $35 +-!

alletric
11-06-2007, 10:25 AM
That was my point but I did not make it clear. Buy the ring gear for sure and watch the guy change it for 35 bucks and learn something. It is a cheap education with a happy ending.

TMCNo1
11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
That was my point but I did not make it clear. Buy the ring gear for sure and watch the guy change it for 35 bucks and learn something. It is a cheap education with a happy ending.

We'll get 87MCProstar's flywheel problem behind him, one way or another, even if it hairlips the Pope!

87MCProstar
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
thanks, guys that perfect...only a new ring gear is needed...wow, didn't think this question would of gotten so heated.

TMCNo1
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
thanks, guys that perfect...only a new ring gear is needed...wow, didn't think this question would of gotten so heated.

Just PM me next time if you have a question and I'll get you an answer with out all this public drama. Sorry you had to experience this.

rektek
11-07-2007, 03:01 PM
hopefully whatever you decide to do you'll be replacing a starter also

swatguy
11-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I personally think your comments are very unnecessary and absurd. Obviously you are tainted by owning a dealership and that is the fact. The parts in question are not even related to MC. They are Indmar parts. Who warranties the engines NOT MC Indmar handles the claims and Indmar is the MFG. Sure it goes through your dealership, but you could take it to any Indmar certified mechanic and have it covered. So getting parts from your dealership is basically null. Just because the boat is an MC doesn't require you to adhere to their monopoly of overcharging you for the same exact part that you can get for half the price in most cases. I think your attacks on TMCNO1 are ridiculous and offensive.
Some of us are not lucky enough to own/manage/work for an MC dealership. We don't have the parts at our fingertips or have the extra cash to be throwing away for the same part that you can get elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. It's ridiculous to even suggest that you must go to your dealer for everything. My closest dealer in over 1.5hrs away. Do they take care of me....You bet .....but basically what you are saying is that if my impeller goes out and I can't find my spare I should order one from my dealer and have them ship it to me rather than pick one up at my marina which is not an MC dealer OK then go to the local dealer down there you say......Well that is over 2hrs away. Again your comments are absurd. Why get a part with MC name stamped on the same exact part I could get from them from the same Mfg of that part without the MC upcharge?

I have experienced the MC upcharge on several different occasions. One most recent case was in regards to a factory center bag for my 2000 X-Star. It was talked about here so I have nothing to hide. Fly /High makes the bags for MC. MC MS RP on that bag was 500 if I recall correctly. I called Fly High direct and all I had to do was send them the old bag that ruptured and they would have made me the SAME EXACT BAG 100% identical to the Factory MC bag (don't forget they Mfg the bags for MC) for a fraction of the cost. Again in your world I should suck up and pay more for the same exact 100% product. That's plain ludicrous. However I do believe in supporting my local shop and they once again took care of me.....Did I pay a bit more for the bag sure, but I wasn't as outrageous as it would have been had I just been jo schmo with my MC.

I understand why your dealer is there and that they do need to make money in order to service their customers properly. You dealership will always carry things that you can't find elsewhere so they will always be needed. I worked for one for several years. I also know exactly what they make on boats they sell and the service work they do. So trust me they ain't hurtin that much. I also understand if every customer went elsewhere for service work you all would be in trouble. But again you shouldn't be calling him out for trying to help the rest of us. That is what a forum is for. If I can run to the local corner auto parts store and pick up a part why would I want to go all the way to my dealer. That is something that would save me time, in some cases $$ and get me back to enjoying my MC alot quicker. With more $$ in my pocket I also may want to upgrade or take some extra sets behind my boat. Isn't that what the dealer wants to see. From your comments all they want to see is my money. I think your views expressed are def tainted by the kool aid you so happen to be drinking.

Yes this is an MC sponsored sight so sure things should stick to being MC related.... which every suggestion has been. It has been to fix your MC or a part for you MC. So I think it is time to get off your high horse and come back down to reality and understand that the MC dealer is not the ultimate answer for everything. There are other places to go that can solve the problem with 100% quality parts with the same exact specs. And after reading your posts here I can assure you you wouldn't be getting my business.

Sorry for the hijack but just had to vent Rant Out

TMCNo1
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
No offense to anyone, but I think it's time for a Moderator to "Close" this thread too!

Ric
11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
ahhhhhhh winter time at team talk!

Jim@BAWS
11-07-2007, 07:45 PM
SWATGUY,
I am not in disagreement with you. I am not on my high horse here. Actually the motor is warrantied though MC with INDMAR being the FINAL say so on warranty. We DO NOT CALL Indmar for warranty unless the boat is from a different manufactuer.

As far as as MC having an upcharge, that is a dealer markup above the stated MSRP, NOT A MC THING. Many of the parts that are being purchased from SKIDIM are the same or LESS expensive from a MC dealer. TMCNO1 knows ALOT...but not everything that there is to know. Many times misinformation is put out in haste and is corrected. If you can get a FLYWHEEL for a FORD or ring gear at NAPA go get one. All I am saying is MC dealers, at least some of them have a very good working knowledge of boats both old and new. If a dealer is so stupid that they do not realize the importance of taking care of older boat owners then they are not playing with a full deck in my opinion. Opinions are like As_holes...everyone has one.

I only correct what needs to be corrected. As do other dealers that particpate on this site. There is no doubt that Harold knows his stuff on a FORD 351 and how to make a platform look like a piece of furniture. I know he eats, sleeps, and poops MC. Many of us do ! Great for him, and great for everyone else, Sometimes like me gets a little over zealous in his efforts.

Jim@BAWS

erkoehler
11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't even have it in stock :(

MYMC
11-08-2007, 09:26 AM
The funny this is that this really isn't a "flywheel" as it is not storing energy...haha!:D

Ric
11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
FLYWHEEL / starter ring, potatoe/potato

MYMC
11-08-2007, 10:15 AM
FLYWHEEL / starter ring, potatoe/potato
Engine/motor...dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!