PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Hull Warranty??

beatle78
11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Does Mastercraft have a lifetime hull warranty?

I bought my boat last year and never did warranty transfer.

Does anyone know how to do a transfer?

What does the warranty cover?

cbryan70
11-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I beleive the hull warranty is only for the original purchaser?

beatle78
11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I read on the site that it can be transferred once.

Does it cover severe blistering?

cbryan70
11-04-2007, 10:08 AM
hmm that is a good question that one of the dealerships on here should be able to answer for ya!

BrianM
11-04-2007, 10:21 AM

I am about 99.99% sure that the hull warranty does NOT cover blistering.

G-man
11-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I doubt it, gel coat is not considered structural, the hull warranty is for structural items. blistering is usally caused by being stored in the water without anti-foulant paint.

erkoehler
11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
From my experience, I don't believe blisters will be covered.

bigmac
11-04-2007, 10:55 AM
From posts here over the years, blisters are occasionally covered, but at the discretion of MasterCraft on a case-by-case basis. The warranty specifically excludes blistering, and has since the '80s.

There is a lifetime warranty on the deck, hull, liner and stringers, for your year, but only for the original purchaser. For subsequent purchasers, the warranty has to be specifically transferred and a fee paid, but that warranty expires 5 years after the original date of delivery. If your boat is a 2001, there apparently is no warranty any longer.

This is all according to your owner's manual, but if you have a hull issue, I'd sure take it up with your dealer. MasterCraft tends to stand behind their product, and you may get some rhythm from them on some items. I doubt that blistering would be one of them, however.

Jim@BAWS
11-04-2007, 11:18 AM

No it DOES NOT cover blistering.

Jim@BAWS

VTJC
11-04-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a soft spot(most likely delaminating, since it flexes down when weighted) of my floor behind the divers seat. Is this covered? I am not the original owner of my 99, probably the third+ owner. Jamie

bigmac
11-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I have a soft spot(most likely delaminating, since it flexes down when weighted) of my floor behind the divers seat. Is this covered? I am not the original owner of my 99, probably the third+ owner. Jamie
I think your floor is honeycomb aluminum. IIRC some people have peeled their carpet back and filled the honeycomb with epoxy, some have replaced with marine-grade plywood and a coat of resin.

G-man
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
I thought the floor behind the seat would be part of the fiberglass liner and honey comb used in the center by the pylon and behind the engine in the center???

bigmac
11-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I thought the floor behind the seat would be part of the fiberglass liner and honey comb used in the center by the pylon and behind the engine in the center???

Yeh, that could be.

beatle78
11-05-2007, 09:40 AM
That SUCKS!

I'm soooooooooo dissapointed in Mastercraft right now. There were a lot of blisters that appeared over the summer that I didn't notice until I pulled the boat out of the water this weekend!!!!

Def not something I would expect from one of the best boat manufacturer's out there.:mad:

G-man
11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
it's not a problem with the manufacture of the boat as it is a property of gel coat

bigmac
11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
That SUCKS!

I'm soooooooooo dissapointed in Mastercraft right now. There were a lot of blisters that appeared over the summer that I didn't notice until I pulled the boat out of the water this weekend!!!!

Def not something I would expect from one of the best boat manufacturer's out there.:mad:
Blistering gelcoat is definitely not unique to MasterCraft, and none of the other boat mfgrs warranty cover blistering either. And they did warn you not to keep it in the water without a barrier bottom paint.

beatle78
11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Blistering gelcoat is definitely not unique to MasterCraft, and none of the other boat mfgrs warranty cover blistering either. And they did warn you not to keep it in the water without a barrier bottom paint.

bigmac, where you are from maybe blistering is a problem but not up here where I live.

I never had a problem with my BU and in all honesty, I've never had a boat that blistered. My neighbor had a 92 MC and NEVER had a problem with blistering. He never even waxed the hull(no paint either).

My uncles 15 year old Regal looks as good as the day he bought it.

All these boats sit in the water 100% of the time in the summer.

In my opinion, this is a def a quality issue.

bigmac
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
bigmac, where you are from maybe blistering is a problem but not up here where I live.

I never had a problem with my BU and in all honesty, I've never had a boat that blistered. My neighbor had a 92 MC and NEVER had a problem with blistering. He never even waxed the hull(no paint either).

My uncles 15 year old Regal looks as good as the day he bought it.

All these boats sit in the water 100% of the time in the summer.

In my opinion, this is a def a quality issue.

There's a thread on the Malibu forums right now from some guy whose Malibu has blistered. I've seen other such there as well.

Google "boat gelcoat blistering" or some such. You'll see it's a broad-based problem for all fiberglass boats.

I think it's a quality problem too, just certainly not unique to MasterCraft. The problem appears to be the quality of current gelcoat formulations, as you no doubt discovered in your Google search. Fiberglass boats became popular in the 50's. Blistering was never a problem until about the mid-70's, when the older method and formula got too expensive. I have no doubt that fiberglass boat mfgr's could make an impervious gelcoat and eliminate the problem, but it would apparently be too expensive.

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2007, 11:23 AM
This IS NOT a qaulity issue. This is a CHEMISTY and PHYSICS issue. MC does a very very good job of stopping blisters by adding a barrier coat between the gelcoat and the fiberglass. It very clearly states in your manuel about leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time. Gelcoat is a permaible surface. Water can go thorough gelcoat and cause osmotic (sp) blistering on your boat or any boat for that matter. I understand your anger...but it is not MC's fault

Jim@BAWS

That SUCKS!

beatle78
11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
This IS NOT a qaulity issue. This is a CHEMISTY and PHYSICS issue. MC does a very very good job of stopping blisters by adding a barrier coat between the gelcoat and the fiberglass. It very clearly states in your manuel about leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time. Gelcoat is a permaible surface. Water can go thorough gelcoat and cause osmotic (sp) blistering on your boat or any boat for that matter. I understand your anger...but it is not MC's fault

Jim@BAWS

Jim,

I understand there is a "statement" that says not to leave it in the water, but that seems more like a CYA to me to cover for quality issues.

It seems like only a "small" percentage of boats do it.

Case: Out of the dozens of boats that I have been around my entire life, I've never seen any blister as severely as my boat. At most I saw an occasional blister or 2. Most boat hulls had ZERO blisters after years of sitting in the water.

Just because people ran to the internet to express their dissapointment (like myself), it doesn't mean it's a common problem. It means the small % of us that were unfortunate enough to have it happen to are pretty upset and inquired/vented about the problem to fellow boaters.

I think I was unfortunate enough to get a boat where the gel coat quality was not as good as the majority of MC boats and most other boat brands.

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Everything that I have seen has a CYA clause on it. I do not drink the MC Coolaide all day long. But in this case having owned NEW MC's since 1988. I lean towards MC because I have always been told NOT TO LEAVE the boat in water for extended periods of time. I tell my customers the same thing.

I know that this does not help your case very much. But has has been stated before. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE WATER

Jim@BAWS

Jim,

I understand there is a "statement" that says not to leave it in the water, but that seems more like a CYA to me to cover for quality issues.

It seems like only a "small" percentage of boats do it.

Diesel
11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I lean towards MC because I have always been told NOT TO LEAVE the boat in water for extended periods of time. I tell my customers the same thing.
I know that this does not help your case very much. But has has been stated before. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE WATER

Jim@BAWS

Isn't this just common knowledge? :confused:

I mean why do you think there is such a large support market for bottom coatings? I wouldn't think people would go to such a trouble to protect the bottom of the boat if gel coat was not porous. Did you really think MC had some type of special, exclusive gelcoat or application process that one one else in industry had yet discovered.

Let's face it things are not made the way they used to be simply because of OSHA and the EPA......and thank god for that, remember lead paint, leaded fuel, etc......

TMCNo1
11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Beatle78,
There is a owner here on TT, who, back in the early Spring told that they were going to leave their boat in the water 24/7 this Summer and the same blistering potential was discussed, along with the warranty and NO warranty issue and was warned of the impending danger, yet the owner stated that he would leave it in the water anyway, bla, bla, bla, and he would deal with it then. I forgot to write down that owners screen name back then, because I thought of the "what if", really happens.
I am trying to find those posts/the thread. I hope it wasn't you!

beatle78
11-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Isn't this just common knowledge? :confused:

I mean why do you think there is such a large support market for bottom coatings? I wouldn't think people would go to such a trouble to protect the bottom of the boat if gel coat was not porous. Did you really think MC had some type of special, exclusive gelcoat or application process that one one else in industry had yet discovered.

Let's face it things are not made the way they used to be simply because of OSHA and the EPA......and thank god for that, remember lead paint, leaded fuel, etc......

No this isn't common knowledge. Not 1 person I know of puts anything on their hull, except wax, and all our boats stay in the water all season long.

So what can you do about blisters? Have someone sand it down and re-gel coat it? That sounds pricey.

hehe, guys if you listen to what you're saying, "you can buy a boat but don't let it float all the time it's not made for it"........

That's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Moot point now. The damage is done.

beatle78
11-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Beatle78,
There is a owner here on TT, who, back in the early Spring told that they were going to leave their boat in the water 24/7 this Summer and the same blistering potential was discussed, along with the warranty and NO warranty issue and was warned of the impending danger, yet the owner stated that he would leave it in the water anyway, bla, bla, bla, and he would deal with it then. I forgot to write down that owners screen name back then, because I thought of the "what if", really happens.
I am trying to find those posts/the thread. I hope it wasn't you!

nope, wasn't me. Besides, my boat doesn't stay in the water all the time. We're frozen for several months of the year up here in NE. The boat is out of the water from November to April. That's 1/2 the year.

24/7 means something different to the southern people who can leave there boat in the water 24/7 365.

Sodar
11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
hehe, guys if you listen to what you're saying, "you can buy a boat but don't let it float all the time it's not made for it"........

Eh, I think that this one rivals... "It should be stamped on the boat somewhere."

Diesel
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Moot point now. The damage is done.

Don't confuse the issue here.........the boat will continue to float and perform as designed the only damage here is cosmetic.

Do you get upset with GM when a hail storm blows in and dents the hell out of your truck because you left it out?

PaulW
11-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Its a lot of money to get it reworked. I have heard of prices of $ 4 to 5 K to have the bottom redone.

bobx1
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Gel coats blister when exposed to water for long periods of time. During the summer (at our camp) I store my 2006 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO jetski out of the water, on the trailer with a factory cover. Some water gets through the cover and sits in the foot wells. The foot wells are blistered and Yamaha says "tough luck - keep the water out of there and it will not blister."

beatle78
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't confuse the issue here.........the boat will continue to float and perform as designed the only damage here is cosmetic.

Do you get upset with GM when a hail storm blows in and dents the hell out of your truck because you left it out?

I agree, I love my boat, and I'll still have as much fun in/behind it. I'm just dissapointed that it's tainted.

I'm not saying it's not my fault for not reading pg 135 section 8 paragraph a line 3, but up in here in NE it's not common knowledge. Not a single person or dealership has ever mentioned it to me.

bigmac
11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
No this isn't common knowledge. Not 1 person I know of puts anything on their hull, except wax, and all our boats stay in the water all season long.

NOT common knowledge? It's right in your frickin' owner's manual, and has been since 1981.:rolleyes:

MYMC
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Not so fast my friend...osmosis blistering can cause serious damage especially if the water is allowed to freeze.

Time to repair is based on how long it takes the hull to dry out...I have had it take a year before (bad case). The total for the bottom repairs was in excess of $18,000. Once the gel is blistered the water will go into the glass and then the fun (and cost) adds up quick.

Roonie's
11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I had an 87 Sea Ray (blisters not mentioned in owners manual) that stayed in the water for 7 years straight almost. Never a blister. Was looking at their new boats before buying the MC and they offer a five year warranty on osmotic blisters in their hull.

I read my new MC owners manual and was thinking wow, didn't know MC has this issue, enough so that they list it in the owners manual and no warranty........

Sea Ray half the cost of an MC yet had a five year warranty specifically on osmotic blistering? Made me wonder.

beatle78
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
NOT common knowledge? It's right in your frickin' owner's manual, and has been since 1981.:rolleyes:

sorry, if I didn't retain 100% of what's in my owners manual. Apparently, I'm not as intelligent as you and dietSodar.

I thought this website was to ask questions, and try to further my knowledge of my MC. Which, in my opinion, I did in a reasonable fashion.

But apparently you feel that TT's forum is only to show off what knowledge I have, and bash others when they don't know as much as me. At least from the perspective of you & sodarpop.

I never said MC is not reputable and I should go with another company. In fact I am very happy with all the other aspects of my boat. I would buy another MC if I was in the market for another.

I'm glad there are only a few people like you on this forum, as the other 99% are very helpful and constructive.

And I'm the one whose sleep deprived with a 7 day old baby at home.:confused:

beatle78
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Not so fast my friend...osmosis blistering can cause serious damage especially if the water is allowed to freeze.

Time to repair is based on how long it takes the hull to dry out...I have had it take a year before (bad case). The total for the bottom repairs was in excess of $18,000. Once the gel is blistered the water will go into the glass and then the fun (and cost) adds up quick.

So my boat could basically be destroyed now?

For something that is this important, I only wish that someone, a dealer, had mentioned something to me. It should be stamped on the boat somewhere.

MYMC
11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I had an 87 Sea Ray (blisters not mentioned in owners manual) that stayed in the water for 7 years straight almost. Never a blister. Was looking at their new boats before buying the MC and they offer a five year warranty on osmotic blisters in their hull.

I read my new MC owners manual and was thinking wow, didn't know MC has this issue, enough so that they list it in the owners manual and no warranty........

Sea Ray half the cost of an MC yet had a five year warranty specifically on osmotic blistering? Made me wonder.
MC has what issue? Osmotic blistering is a fiberglass boat issue...it has nothing to do with who built the boat.

PaulW
11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Take it to a good glass guy to get a price, might not be as costly as you think. The glass guy might be slow this winter and give you a deal.
I feel for you beatle, not fun to go through.

MYMC
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
So my boat could basically be destroyed now?

For something that is this important, I only wish that someone, a dealer, had mentioned something to me. It should be stamped on the boat somewhere.
Get it looked at as soon as possible...DO NOT LET IT FREEZE. Since none of us here can speak for the factory I think we all should refrain from telling you what is covered and what isn’t…beyond what is printed is “goodwill” and MC makes their own decisions.

Take your boat to your dealer and let them document the issue and then forward the information to MC warranty for an official decision. I would also contact Greg Clower so he can be involved. I make no promises but there is a right way to do this and trying your case in the court of public opinion would not be my choice as the best route to follow. No need to panic, get some answers from the people actually charged with making decisions.

Diesel
11-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm not saying it's not my fault for not reading pg 135 section 8 paragraph a line 3, but up in here in NE it's not common knowledge. Not a single person or dealership has ever mentioned it to me.

I find it hard to believe there is not a single boat in your area that does not have bottom paint or a single dealership that does not offer the service. Just about every boat in our marina is either bottom painted or on a lift.

I guess I have just always known better and assumed most people knew the same..........however I am constantly amazed every time someone posts up about a killer deal on an ebay boat and they still have to ask everyone here if it's a scam. :rolleyes:

It really does suck and I feel for you. I wish you the best and hope you can get it fixed properly.

BTW here is a great read/insight into blisters...
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm

Roonie's
11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
FYI I never even heard of gel coat blisters until I read my 07 MC owners manual.

I guess I am not in the know as well.

88 PS190
11-05-2007, 06:08 PM
It is a very common thing to hear about with large boats, particuarly sail boats where the quality of the fiberglass can really change how smooth the hull is.

The issue with bottom paint is that it often causes the boat to depreciate due to it.

The other peice that isn't good news. How to deal with hull blisters changes very frequently, should they be ground out? peirced? should an epoxy paint be used to seal the hull? should the hull just be allowed to dry out?

The reasoning changes frequently but the problem is the same.

And its not that MC has a faulty product it is that all gel coat is ordered from a manufacturer, and all of it has the potential to do this no matter how carefully it is laid up.

Not much you can really do to ensure it doesn't happen, some people have experienced blisters on boats that are stored on lifts just do to moisture in the bunk carpeting.

If its an isolated thing best to deal with it now and get the hull dried and sealed.

bigmac
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
sorry, if I didn't retain 100% of what's in my owners manual. Apparently, I'm not as intelligent as you and dietSodar.

I thought this website was to ask questions, and try to further my knowledge of my MC. Which, in my opinion, I did in a reasonable fashion.

But apparently you feel that TT's forum is only to show off what knowledge I have, and bash others when they don't know as much as me. At least from the perspective of you & sodarpop.

I never said MC is not reputable and I should go with another company. In fact I am very happy with all the other aspects of my boat. I would buy another MC if I was in the market for another.

I'm glad there are only a few people like you on this forum, as the other 99% are very helpful and constructive.

And I'm the one whose sleep deprived with a 7 day old baby at home.:confused:

http://forums.aswp.net/theme_aswp/smilies/bigcry.gif...I'll just have to live with your opinion, I guess. :rolleyes:

But...I am sorry about your boat. Really.

agua4fun
11-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Bea - I have the same problem on my 2001. sucks big time. I also wish someone would have said something. There are 3 boats at my dock, and all have been floating for MANY summers (8+?) down the way there are 2 SN's that have been floating since the 80's), and none have bottom paint or blisters. I put my 190 in for 2 months and it 's covered in them. (I bought it from an MC dealer 4 years old)

Basically you are out of luck with help from MC, they stick with their warranty statement. According to the factory MC rep I talked to, small blisters are NOT an immediate structural problem on a boat this size that is used for skiing type purposes. Repair if youd like to. yes they will get worse, and yes they get harder to repair the longer you wait. My estimates were around $8,000 to fix the entire bottom around the edges to the water line.

My boat is still in the water, it is worse than 2 years ago, and i do plan to get it fixed within a year or two.

I am not an expert, but have talked to many of them.
Drop me a PM if you'd like. I added to a thread about this a year ago, and am still getting PMs about it.

beatle78
11-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Bea - I have the same problem on my 2001. sucks big time. I also wish someone would have said something. There are 3 boats at my dock, and all have been floating for MANY summers (8+?) down the way there are 2 SN's that have been floating since the 80's), and none have bottom paint or blisters. I put my 190 in for 2 months and it 's covered in them. (I bought it from an MC dealer 4 years old)

Basically you are out of luck with help from MC, they stick with their warranty statement. According to the factory MC rep I talked to, small blisters are NOT an immediate structural problem on a boat this size that is used for skiing type purposes. Repair if youd like to. yes they will get worse, and yes they get harder to repair the longer you wait. My estimates were around $8,000 to fix the entire bottom around the edges to the water line.

My boat is still in the water, it is worse than 2 years ago, and i do plan to get it fixed within a year or two.

I am not an expert, but have talked to many of them.
Drop me a PM if you'd like. I added to a thread about this a year ago, and am still getting PMs about it.

How about freezing? MYMC said that if they freeze we could be in for a world of hurt!!!!

I talked with many boat owners last night and none of them have ever had problems with blisters, from older MCs to Regals, to Chaparral's. You name it. All of which kept them in the water.

So yours is a 2001 also? Interesting.

beatle78
11-06-2007, 07:23 AM
It looks like my insurance might cover it. Here's a snapshot of the policy.

Coverage includes:

* Stated Value for your hull, which means we will not depreciate it over time. And, if you have a total loss, we even waive your deductible.

other companies only offer ACV (actual cash value) policies that give you only the boat's book value at the time of loss. Read your current policy and see for yourself. Are you paying more, but getting less?

* Replacement Cost for 30 months on new crafts up to $100,000.

* Uninsured Boaters Liability insurance is included.
* $10,000 for medical payments.
* Watersports liability coverage (waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc). Most of our competitors either exclude this coverage or offer lower limits and charge an additional premium.
* Towing and roadside assistance standard at $600 ($1,000 for yachts).
* Disappearing deductible available.

What's Covered

* Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, storm damage, hitting a submerged object, and any other accidental damage to your craft, whether it's in or out of the water.
* Your trailer can be covered for physical damage too.
* We cover you up to the policy limits for your legal liability if someone is injured or property is damaged. Our combined single limit means that you can use as much as you need, where you need it.
* No exclusion for latent defects!

G-man
11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
keep us posted and who is the insurance with? It will be interesting if they feel blistering is a latent defect or a property of gel coat

boatless
11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I had a 1994 Glastron which float on the water for about four months every season for three years and never has blisters, so is my neighbor Fourwinns deck boat. So now I have to worry about blisters with my 2005 Mastercraft. :( Just to show that paying a lot of money for a boat doesn't always mean you get a better quality, it is just the name that you are paying for. All boats company are buying their material from some of the same supplier.

I hope every thing will work out for you Beatle, I would feel the same way, if it was my boat. Take care.

Maristar210
11-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow, I can't believe I actually read five pages of this crap.

Beatle- You neglected your boat all season and now your pissed because it shows signs of neglect?

I don't get it. I left my boat in the water overnight once in three years. Before I had a lift it sat on the trailer in the garage. Why? Because I paid over 50K for the thing and the last thing I would ever dream of is letting it sit in the water like some old fishing boat. I stand by the "if you treat your stuff like ****, it's pretty much gonna look like ****"..

While your situation is not necessarily common I would think another common, as in common sense would tell you if you leave it in the water all year at the very minimun you will have several hours of hull cleaning in your future. You making the assumption it should hold up fine is a risky one. One in which I will never take for granted.

By now you will have added me to your list along with BigMac but the truth be told you are responsible for your boats condition and blaming MC because of your obvious neglect is, well I am sorry but that's your problem.

I feel for you none the less but just about the 7 day old baby not the boat, congrats on the birth....

Steve

bigmac
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
That's it. Now you're on the list too!

Monte
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
It looks like my insurance might cover it. Here's a snapshot of the policy.

Coverage includes:

* Stated Value for your hull, which means we will not depreciate it over time. And, if you have a total loss, we even waive your deductible.

other companies only offer ACV (actual cash value) policies that give you only the boat's book value at the time of loss. Read your current policy and see for yourself. Are you paying more, but getting less?

* Replacement Cost for 30 months on new crafts up to $100,000.

* Uninsured Boaters Liability insurance is included.
* $10,000 for medical payments.
* Watersports liability coverage (waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc). Most of our competitors either exclude this coverage or offer lower limits and charge an additional premium.
* Towing and roadside assistance standard at $600 ($1,000 for yachts).
* Disappearing deductible available.

What's Covered

* Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, storm damage, hitting a submerged object, and any other accidental damage to your craft, whether it's in or out of the water.
* Your trailer can be covered for physical damage too.
* We cover you up to the policy limits for your legal liability if someone is injured or property is damaged. Our combined single limit means that you can use as much as you need, where you need it.
* No exclusion for latent defects!

Beatle that sounds like an overview (pamphlet)... Read the exclusions in the policy.. Damage occuring over extended time and neglect are excluded...

Just FYI.. If they do cover it I will be happy for you, but I see no need to bash MC for your neglect.. If I paid the amount of $$ you paid for your MC I'd be darned sure to read the entire owners manual SEVERAL times......

I would like to see their definition of "latent defects"

bigmac
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Beatle that sounds like an overview (pamphlet)... Read the exclusions in the policy.. Damage occuring over extended time and neglect are excluded...

Just FYI.. If they do cover it I will be happy for you, but I see no need to bash MC for your neglect.. If I paid the amount of $$ you paid for your MC I'd be darned sure to read the entire owners manual SEVERAL times......

Naturally the insurance company will interpret things in its favor, but there's a lot of stuff on the internet that opines that gelcoat blistering is a quality issue. I think a pretty good case could be made for it being a "latent defect", but of course if the insurance company say "NO" then the only recourse would be getting a lawyer to take somebody to court...likely would cost more than just getting the bottom repaired and then expoxied.

http://www.daveandangel.com/Boats/Boat_Blistering.html

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/gelcoat_repair.htm

http://www.diybob.com/HotBlister.htm

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moreonblisters.html.htm

Monte
11-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Naturally the insurance company will interpret things in its favor, but there's a lot of stuff on the internet that opines that gelcoat blistering is a quality issue. I think a pretty good case could be made for it being a "latent defect", but of course if the insurance company say "NO" then the only recourse would be getting a lawyer to take somebody to court...likely would cost more than just getting the bottom repaired and then expoxied.

http://www.daveandangel.com/Boats/Boat_Blistering.html

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/gelcoat_repair.htm

http://www.diybob.com/HotBlister.htm

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moreonblisters.html.htm

A lot of times we pay claims rather than the cost of defense/ denial of a claim.. Just comes out cheaper that way..

Roonie's
11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
The funny thing is they origianlly made fiberglass boats for ease of maintenance.

Who would have thunk it a boat isn't supposed to be in the water for stretches at a time. I guess I need to find other uses for it now. The kids use it as a play fort currently (damn expensive play fort).

Most opinions or articles I have read about it have said it is a quality issue.

Sodar
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I suppose that growing up in a saltwater environment, I always knew that some type of bottom coating was neccessary. Beyond the blister issue, don't weeds, slime and other stuff grow on the boat... even in freshwater?

Maristar210
11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I suppose that growing up in a saltwater environment, I always knew that some type of bottom coating was neccessary. Beyond the blister issue, don't weeds, slime and other stuff grow on the boat... even in freshwater?

Yes they do. Like crazy around here too.

bigmac
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Weeds and slime, even iron oxide staining (this is the Minnesota Iron Range, after all) don't bother me -- that stuff comes right off with some muriatic acid. Blistering -- that bothers me....my boat never sits in the water for extended periods. If it did, it would have an epoxy barrier coat.

Maristar210
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Weeds and slime, even iron oxide staining (this is the Minnesota Iron Range, after all) don't bother me -- that stuff comes right off with some muriatic acid. Blistering -- that bothers me....my boat never sits in the water for extended periods. If it did, it would have an epoxy barrier coat.

Were just a couple of jerks though :o

JohnE
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Beatle,

I only knew about the blistering from reading past posts here on the forum. I didn't see it in the manual either. Sucks that it happens and happened to you.

Congrats on the new baby, too.

Edit: It did happen in the first year to a small runabout we bought in the late 80's. I just didn't know exactly what caused it until I read about it here.

beatle78
11-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Beatle,

I only knew about the blistering from reading past posts here on the forum. I didn't see it in the manual either. Sucks that it happens and happened to you.

Congrats on the new baby, too.

Edit: It did happen in the first year to a small runabout we bought in the late 80's. I just didn't know exactly what caused it until I read about it here.

Thanks John. Unfortunately, I never read it here on the forum and the 50 other boats I've involved with throughout the 28 years I've been alive have never blistered and have never been bottom painted.

beatle78
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM

I agree the weeds and slime have never bothered me either. I just do a GOOD hull cleaning at the end of each year. Me and 99% of the rest of the people that live on the small lakes up here in my neck of the woods.

beatle78
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM

you're right, I looked in the binder and blisters are not covered.

etakk7
11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Beatle, I feel for you buddy. Do you have any pics? Are the blisters in the green gelcoat or the white bottom? I leave my boat in the water for up to 10 days at a time in the summer when I'm at the cabin and now I'm wondering if that is pushing it?

I've always enjoyed your posts and you've been an upstanding member of TeamTalk, I hope things work out for you.

Congrats on the newborn also.

KevenAtWakeUSF
11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
What year boats came with a lifetime warranty?

bigmac
11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
What year boats came with a lifetime warranty?

IIRC it was one year hull warranty until about 1987, then it was 10 years on the hull/stringers until 1991, then lifetime (to original purchaser only) on deck, hull, liner, stringers from 1991 on.

boatless
11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, I have a question. My boat is a demo, was used by a team skier and it has about twenty hours on it. When I bought it from the dealer it was titled as brand new. I found out that the boat was stored in the water for all season while it was used by the team skier. My question is, what if it develop blisters will it be under warranty since it was not me that left it in the water ? I did not know much about blisters when I bought the boat. So, will MC dinied my claim ?

boatless.

Roonie's
11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
According to my 2007 owners manual blisters are not covered under warranty. Doesn't matter how new or used the boat is.

It does give a small reference to review case by case basis but I am unclear if that includes blisters.

magnum
11-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know if you are the 2nd owner of a MC, are you able to pay a fee to transfer the hull warranty or is it strictly just for the original owner and if you can pay a fee, do you know how much it is ?

beatle78
11-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Beatle, I feel for you buddy. Do you have any pics? Are the blisters in the green gelcoat or the white bottom? I leave my boat in the water for up to 10 days at a time in the summer when I'm at the cabin and now I'm wondering if that is pushing it?

I've always enjoyed your posts and you've been an upstanding member of TeamTalk, I hope things work out for you.

Congrats on the newborn also.

Thanks Etakk,

I will have pics shortly, as I need to send them to Greg Clower @ MC.

Roonie's
11-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know if you are the 2nd owner of a MC, are you able to pay a fee to transfer the hull warranty or is it strictly just for the original owner and if you can pay a fee, do you know how much it is ?

Yes you can transfer the warranty to the second owner. The fee is $450. You need copy of sales invoice and complete the warranty transfer form in the owners manual or found online (look for 2007 MC owners manual). It does state on the form to send in within 14 days of the sale. Don't know how strict they are of that rule? The transfer form will show the address to send to as well.

captain planet
11-08-2007, 12:53 PM
There's a thread on the Malibu forums right now from some guy whose Malibu has blistered. I've seen other such there as well.

Google "boat gelcoat blistering" or some such. You'll see it's a broad-based problem for all fiberglass boats.

I think it's a quality problem too, just certainly not unique to MasterCraft. The problem appears to be the quality of current gelcoat formulations, as you no doubt discovered in your Google search. Fiberglass boats became popular in the 50's. Blistering was never a problem until about the mid-70's, when the older method and formula got too expensive. I have no doubt that fiberglass boat mfgr's could make an impervious gelcoat and eliminate the problem, but it would apparently be too expensive.

Let's look at this for what it is. Correct me if I am wrong, but there are 3 gelcoat companies that produce the stuff. In the age of rising costs for raw materials and companies inflating their bottom lines, the quality of the products are being sacrificed for $$$$. Therefore you have poor quality gelcoat that is giving you the results we have discussed on this board for a few years now (blisters). Not a lot a boat manufacturer can do about this.

Until these gelcoat companies are dedicated on producing the finest quality gelcoat and not so darn dedicated on their bottom line, we will have to settle for the results we have now. The solution, pull your boat or get a lift. Isn't corporate America great? :(

bigmac
11-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Let's look at this for what it is. Correct me if I am wrong, but there are 3 gelcoat companies that produce the stuff. In the age of rising costs for raw materials and companies inflating their bottom lines, the quality of the products are being sacrificed for $$$$. Therefore you have poor quality gelcoat that is giving you the results we have discussed on this board for a few years now (blisters). Not a lot a boat manufacturer can do about this.

Until these gelcoat companies are dedicated on producing the finest quality gelcoat and not so darn dedicated on their bottom line, we will have to settle for the results we have now. The solution, pull your boat or get a lift. Isn't corporate America great? :(

Well, I assume you mean lets look at this for what you think it is. For my part, I'm suspicious, but not totally convinced, that it's even a quality issue. And if it is, I think the immediate cognitive leap to it being illustrative of corporate greed is assuming facts not in evidence. Personally, I'm not inclined to assume across the board that a corporation's obligation to make a profit is the same thing as greed. YMMV.

Maristar210
11-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Air quality restrictions don't allow us to use the chemicals we once did? Speculation but possible.

Roonie's
11-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Air quality restrictions don't allow us to use the chemicals we once did? Speculation but possible.

Very true. My dealer told me this when I got spider cracks on my new boat after two months and was wondering why this happened.

MYMC
11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Interesting take; however, when MC warranties a boat due to this or any other gel defect the bill is then sent to the gel company for re-payment to MC under the warranty provision of the bulk purchase. Further in recent times if a company changes something without MC approval or testing there are financial penalties written into the contract...so I don't believe you can blame this on greed.

You can lay some blame on the AQMD in California and the EPA...the chemicals that once were used are no longer allowed, and the stuff that has been approved has had some issues as it spends time in the market...still gel coat is a "known porous" coating and fiberglass is porous as well...water will find a way through given enough time, and that is one of the reasons for bottom paint.

mcdoon
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
You can lay some blame on the AQMD in California and the EPA...the chemicals that once were used are no longer allowed, and the stuff that has been approved has had some issues as it spends time in the market...still gel coat is a "known porous" coating and fiberglass is porous as well...water will find a way through given enough time, and that is one of the reasons for bottom paint.

MYMC--Is bottom paint on way out as well in the "greenie" states? Friend of mine with a yacht said the bottom paint on they use is a living organism that eats organic matter attached to the bottom and then flakes away into the water. He said it's getting some frowns from the enviros. Have you heard anything on this? :confused:

Monte
11-08-2007, 02:38 PM
MYMC--Is bottom paint on way out as well in the "greenie" states? Friend of mine with a yacht said the bottom paint on they use is a living organism that eats organic matter attached to the bottom and then flakes away into the water. He said it's getting some frowns from the enviros. Have you heard anything on this? :confused:

You have GOT to be kidding:confused: Living paint:confused: Not disagreeing, just well, speechless:confused:

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
You have GOT to be kidding:confused: Living paint:confused: Not disagreeing, just well, speechless:confused:

I know a guy, who told be he had his own waste treatment plant and I was impressed! Then, he showed me his poop eating dog!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbacktopic.gif

TRBenj
11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree the weeds and slime have never bothered me either. I just do a GOOD hull cleaning at the end of each year. Me and 99% of the rest of the people that live on the small lakes up here in my neck of the woods.
Not sure what you consider to be your "neck of the woods", but everyone I ski with in CT, NY and MA keeps their boats on lifts. I cant speak for every one of them, but I do it to keep the hull clean and blister-free.

bigmac
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM

The reference might be to the "ablative" type of anti-fouling paints. They're not "living organisms", but do contain certain biocidal chemicials designed to kill anything that attaches to the hull (algae, "barnacles", etc). That coating then flakes off (ablates) over time as the boat moves through the water, sort of like a bar of soap gets smaller over time.

There's a difference between anti-fouling paint and a barrier coat. The latter is usually epoxy and designed to seal the porous gelcoat, the former is designed to keep the hull organism-free.

Sodar
11-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Heck yes!! Cali is such a pain in the arse on this! We have all our bottom paints shipped to AZ and then pick it up there. You cannot buy "the good ones" in Cali.

mcdoon
11-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Well, the conversation did take place over a few pitchers of Amber Boch. Actually, the paint he was talking about contains biocides, which just wears off with time and water travel taking marine growth with it. So, scratch the "living" part of that. Sorry about the confusion. I'll send those beer conversations to the review board before I post anymore of them. :o

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Ya'll was drinking Amber Boch, hey? UMP and Lakey wanted to know!!!!!!

MYMC
11-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Well, the conversation did take place over a few pitchers of Amber Boch. Actually, the paint he was talking about contains biocides, which just wears off with time and water travel taking marine growth with it. So, scratch the "living" part of that. Sorry about the confusion. I'll send those beer conversations to the review board before I post anymore of them. :o
I had "bio active" cabernet in Park City...didnt know what she meant either?

KevenAtWakeUSF
11-11-2007, 02:16 AM
IIRC it was one year hull warranty until about 1987, then it was 10 years on the hull/stringers until 1991, then lifetime (to original purchaser only) on deck, hull, liner, stringers from 1991 on.

We (the school) has owned a 1994 ProStar 190 since new, but MC will not warranty our cracked hull....:confused:

TMCNo1
11-11-2007, 07:11 AM
We (the school) has owned a 1994 ProStar 190 since new, but MC will not warranty our cracked hull....:confused:

UMP and Lakey wany to know.

Is the paint on the outside of a airplane warrantied if it crashes into a mountain, UMP and Lakey wanted to know?:rolleyes:

bigmac
11-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Here it is, black and white from your 1994 Prostar owner's manual. There must be more to the story...

edit: aha... I see that the warranty isn't valid on boats used for commercial purposes. Like ski schools...? Isn't that a pretty standard warranty exclusion?

KevenAtWakeUSF
11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
UMP and Lakey wany to know.

Is the paint on the outside of a airplane warrantied if it crashes into a mountain, UMP and Lakey wanted to know?:rolleyes:

Ummmm.....what?

mitch
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Everything that I have seen has a CYA clause on it. I do not drink the MC Coolaide all day long. But in this case having owned NEW MC's since 1988. I lean towards MC because I have always been told NOT TO LEAVE the boat in water for extended periods of time. I tell my customers the same thing.

Jim@BAWS

I still get a kick out of that statement. It's a boat, but don't leave it in the water. It's a car, but don't leave it on the pavement

That said, some boats are affected and some aren't - it's weird......

beatle78
11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I still get a kick out of that statement. It's a boat, but don't leave it in the water. It's a car, but don't leave it on the pavement

That said, some boats are affected and some aren't - it's weird......

it's an absolute joke. I have been going around talking with people twice my age that have had boats for years on fresh water lakes around here and they all said they have NEVER has a blister on ANY of their fiberglass boats.

Does it happen? Yep, I'm living proof of that. It is a quality issue? Yep.

beatle78
11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
UPDATE: Mastercraft told me to screw.

They said they haven't repaired anyone else's blisters so their definitely not going to repair mine.

From owning a BU and an MC both of which have now had some sort of quality issue, I've come to realize that Malibu corporate is MUCH more interested in customer satisfaction.

I got a call from the CEO of BU stating that all my issues will be taken care of, including the ones that were not still under warranty. My biggest problem with BU is that the service dept. in my local dealership was the worst run service dept I've ever seen.

I think Mastercraft makes a better boat overall, but MC corporate is not interested in repeat business. I didn't even ask MC to pay for the entire gel coat issue. All I asked was that they work with me to get it fixed. Did they have to, nope, but at 29 years old I'm looking for a company that cares enough about their product that when I'm ready to buy that new boat off the lot, I feel good about paying over $50k for a quality product with a good corporate backing behind it.

When I bought this MC I called my local dealer at the time and worked with them and they were MUCH better than my local BU dealership. Our new MC dealer seems very responsive as well and people have said nothing but good things about them.

Mastercraft seemslike a company that is so big and successful they are not as concerned with small issues like mine.

Malibu seems like a company that is successful, but not so big as they have forgot about the people who buy their product over and over.

My :twocents:

André
11-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Lots of lakes and marinas near my place.In summertime i often go eat my lunch in marinas watching all those Bayliners,Dorals,Glastrons,Larsons and all other "cheaper" Brunswick numerous brands sitting in the water for 5 months and was wondering if all these boats get blisters and osmosis and more importantly why some will and some won't.
Why only a couples of MC that are left in the water get blisters and others don't? And on the same lake for the same period of time?:confused:

JohnE
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Why only a couples of MC that are left in the water get blisters and others don't? And on the same lake for the same period of time?:confused:

I was wondering the same thing.

Bruce
11-26-2007, 08:11 PM
When I soak in the tub I get all wrinkely. Darn I'm not waterproof! At least I know the pot belly came from outside liquid not what I consumed!

Roonie's
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
I think they should at least have a warranty in place for blisters. I was looking at a Sea Ray and they have a 5 year warranty specifically covering blisters. Sea Ray is half the price of an MC........ MC should at least IMHO have equivalent warranty programs as a much cheaper brand.

agua4fun
11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Beatle, Looks like you came to the same conclusions as me. Another 29yo that next time will lean a bit further from MC. I love these boats, but MC corporate customer service needs some serious work. the local dealers are great - why do they put up with it?

beatle78
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I think they should at least have a warranty in place for blisters. I was looking at a Sea Ray and they have a 5 year warranty specifically covering blisters. Sea Ray is half the price of an MC........ MC should at least IMHO have equivalent warranty programs as a much cheaper brand.

I don't get it either. Makes you wonder about how much do they really care about the quality in their boats.

beatle78
11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Beatle, Looks like you came to the same conclusions as me. Another 29yo that next time will lean a bit further from MC. I love these boats, but MC corporate customer service needs some serious work. the local dealers are great - why do they put up with it?

Man, you guys won't believe the number of people that have e-mailed/pm'd me that have 2001 boats with the SAME issue as me.

Sounds like MC hired their nephew to apply the gel coat in 2001.

ttu
11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
my last boat 05 supra developed blisters on the hull where it touched the trailer bunks. dealer repaired via factory warranty.

year later the same thing. again dealer fixed and i sold the boat.

etakk7
11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Makes you wonder if something didn't change in the production of the 2001 boats to save money. I went back and found an interview with the Mastercraft CEO from 2005, and it looks like there were some ownership changes that took place in 2000. I wonder if they needed to shave costs a bit to make the business more profitable? This isn't the first time I have heard horror stories about 2001 model year boats, and usually the X-Stars are the ones I hear about.

WW: Recapitalization of MasterCraft was recently announced by U.S. equity partners. Could you explain what that is about?
JD: Sure. Well, let's go back a little bit further. Like I said, when I got here the company was owned by MacAndrews Forbes, which at one point owned Coleman lanterns, tents, camping supplies, coolers, etc. They had the notion to buy some other companies and bought Boston Whaler and Skeeter, O'Brien and some other water sports companies and were going to go public. They did and the company wasn't well managed back then, so at that point they delisted and became private again and then the holding company began to sell off the other companies. They sold Boston Whaler to Brunswick and Skeeter to Yamaha.

Management was very excited about this business and the opportunity here and we wanted to be able to buy MasterCraft because we had product going in the right way. We had dealer and consumer excitement back and things were going along pretty good when the parent company announced that they were going to do that. At the time, there were three or four major conglomerates looking to buy this business. Management didn't have enough cash in the bank to buy the company without some help, so we brought in an equity partner at that time called Pouschine Cook.

WW: And when was this?
JD: It closed in 2000. Pouschine Cook is a company that invests in pieces of businesses and they only keep those pieces for anywhere from two to five years. So they had a great investment in MasterCraft and we had a great relationship with them, but it was time for them to move on. Management still was very excited about this business and the growth. We're all young, in our early forties in sort of the prime of our careers, so we very much wanted to maintain MasterCraft as we had set out to do back in the late 90's, to turn the business around and grow very successfully.

So we needed a partner to share in that vision who believed in the brand and MasterCraft's management team. Because the value of the company had grown such that management was still unable to do a freestanding buyout of the Pouschine Cook shares, we hired a company to help do a search and what they found was that about 81 major investors in the country had a real interest in MasterCraft and the management team. So we used them to pare that down to a smaller number and we finally got down to where we had just a handful of contenders. Then management chose the one we liked the best and Pouschine Cook felt very comfortable with that choice. That's how U.S. Equities became involved in this business.

bigmac
11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
If MasterCraft were trying to cheapen up, I have no doubt that there are more far more effective ways than finding a cheaper gelcoat formulation.

The issue here isn't that MasterCraft boats get more gelcoat blisters than other boats - there are gelcoat blistering complaints about all boat brands all over the internet. The issue is that MasterCraft reportedly (according to beetle) stiffarms their customers that do get blisters. If that's true, I agree that it's a policy that MasterCraft corporate needs to review more critically.

Diesel
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
The issue is that MasterCraft reportedly (according to beetle) stiffarms their customers that do get blisters. If that's true, I agree that it's a policy that MasterCraft corporate needs to review more critically.

Why, is this not a clear case of misuse? I don't expect GM to fix my truck under warranty if I leave it out in a hail storm. In fact, MC goes so far as to warn you in all their literature that blisters will occur if the boat is left in the water.

bigmac
11-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Why, is this not a clear case of misuse? I don't expect GM to fix my truck under warranty if I leave it out in a hail storm. In fact, MC goes so far as to warn you in all their literature that blisters will occur if the boat is left in the water.

Because it's a boat, and it seems pretty logical that a boat ought to be able to be in the water without being damaged by it.

Having said that, I agree that MasterCraft goes to appropriate lengths to warn their customers about this and are certainly within their rights to deny warranty claims. I read my owner's manual, and I have adhered to the maintenance recommendations that MasterCraft makes in there. It's a simple enough document - people that don't read it, don't remember it, or ignore it, don't have a leg to stand on. I'm not arguing that they're being disenguous about the issue, I'm saying that lesser mfgr's provide a 5 year warranty against hull blistering, or at least don't take the same uncompromising stance that beetle says MasterCraft does. As a customer relations issue, MC's refusal of any warranty rhythm whatsover on this issue might be costing them more than it's saving them.

Diesel
11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Because it's a boat, and it seems pretty logical that a boat ought to be able to be in the water without being damaged by it.

By the same logic I should expect to be able to leave my truck out in front of my house and not be damaged by the weather but guess what it happens and I take the necessary precautions to make sure it is protected.

Having said that, I agree that MasterCraft goes to appropriate lengths to warn their customers about this and are certainly within their rights to deny warranty claims. I read my owner's manual, and I have adhered to the maintenance recommendations that MasterCraft makes in there. It's a simple enough document - people that don't read it, don't remember it, or ignore it, don't have a leg to stand on.

Amen, brotha.....

I'm not arguing that they're being disingenuous about the issue, I'm saying that lesser mfgr's provide a 5 year warranty against hull blistering, or at least don't take the same uncompromising stance that beetle says MasterCraft does. As a customer relations issue, MC's refusal of any warranty rhythm whatsoever on this issue might be costing them more than it's saving them.

I might be wrong but I have seen plenty of cases on this board where blisters were fixed at no charge.....even entire hulls swapped out at no charge to protect customer good will.

I think it's ludicrous to expect a MFG to bear the entire expense of a customer's neglect......ahh but it tis' the day and age of zero personal responsibility.

MYMC
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM

Having said that, I agree that MasterCraft goes to appropriate lengths to warn their customers about this and are certainly within their rights to deny warranty claims. I read my owner's manual, and I have adhered to the maintenance recommendations that MasterCraft makes in there. It's a simple enough document - people that don't read it, don't remember it, or ignore it, don't have a leg to stand on. I'm not arguing that they're being disenguous about the issue, I'm saying that lesser mfgr's provide a 5 year warranty against hull blistering, or at least don't take the same uncompromising stance that beetle says MasterCraft does. As a customer relations issue, MC's refusal of any warranty rhythm whatsover on this issue might be costing them more than it's saving them.
All excellent points; however, (you knew that was coming right?) for MC to cover this and add it to the warranty program it will increase the price of the boat. There is no way around it...no company would add expense and not pass it through to the consumer. Every year the price goes up due to raw materials cost and added content. Each year there is a real struggle over what the market will bear in a price increase. To add more warranty coverage would drive the price even further.

In this case the boat NEVER had the hull warranty transfer paid for and it was left in the water (a direct warranty violation). If you look at this from a neutral position nothing has been done that is/was required by the written warranty statement. Whether or not any other builder has the coverage is not relevant since the very basics of the contract were not completed...payment of the transfer forming a unilateral contract.

I sympathize with the owner, but it is a slippery slope to start paying claims on seven year old boats that have not followed the rules.

Bruce
11-27-2007, 02:10 PM
MYMC Now you have gone and confused the issue with logic and business acumen. (Like you I do sympathize with the owner)

bigmac
11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
All excellent points; however, (you knew that was coming right?) for MC to cover this and add it to the warranty program it will increase the price of the boat. There is no way around it...no company would add expense and not pass it through to the consumer. Every year the price goes up due to raw materials cost and added content. Each year there is a real struggle over what the market will bear in a price increase. To add more warranty coverage would drive the price even further.

In this case the boat NEVER had the hull warranty transfer paid for and it was left in the water (a direct warranty violation). If you look at this from a neutral position nothing has been done that is/was required by the written warranty statement. Whether or not any other builder has the coverage is not relevant since the very basics of the contract were not completed...payment of the transfer forming a unilateral contract.

I sympathize with the owner, but it is a slippery slope to start paying claims on seven year old boats that have not followed the rules.

I agree that beetle's case is not illustrative. I also agree that, when it comes to warranty coverage, there ain't no free lunch.

Roonie's
11-27-2007, 05:20 PM
for MC to cover this and add it to the warranty program it will increase the price of the boat. There is no way around it...no company would add expense and not pass it through to the consumer. Every year the price goes up due to raw materials cost and added content. Each year there is a real struggle over what the market will bear in a price increase. To add more warranty coverage would drive the price even further.

You know that it would make a great marketing campaign...... the only inboard to offer a limited warranty against blisters (don't know if this is true do other inboards have warranties for blisters?). I can bet that would draw some sales away from other competitors enough to maybe make it worth it, or not?

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
It's kind of ironic that I read thru this thread yesterday and then get an email from BoatTEST and one of the headlines on the email is "5-Year Warranties Coming?" I open it up and click on a link to see this about Larson (sport and cruisers).

"Osmotic Hull Blister Limited Warranty:
* Five-year coverage against hull blistering caused by osmosis.
* No declining pro-rate per year like some competitors – Larson covers repair costs for 5 years."

http://larsonboats.com/warranty/default.asp

Who knows what the 'limited' conditions are...

I feel for you Beatle. Personally I know there is an expectation (quality, service, etc...) when buying an MC and if 'others' can offer...??? BUT if the limitations are clearly stated by MC...

Anyway...I hope everything works out for you.

Roonie's
11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Mark my words they are headed in this direction of offering a limited blister hull warranty. The cruising boats have already started catching on offering limited warranties. I would hope MC is a leader and not a follower in this area, but if one of the inboard competitors adopts this warranty guaranteed MC will follow. If MC corporate has not considered this they should be.

Diesel
11-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Who knows what the 'limited' conditions are...

I can guarantee you if you leave your boat in the water all year without a bottom treatment it will not be covered.

Roonie's
11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Interesting as I have done some research. It turns out for inboards Supra, MB, and Wakecraft have limited blister warranty for 5 years.

Cobalt has 100% warranty (not limited) for 5 years.

Out of the sport boat category we have this info from 2001 from Boat/US magazine (so probably more warranties have blister coverage now i.e. Larson);

Osmotic blisters are also widely excluded from protection. Only 16 of the 45 warranties we examined have blister coverage. Of these, some are limited to prorated coverage, requirements that the owner pay for the application of an epoxy barrier coat or stipulations that the gel coat can not be altered in any way.

Some of the companies that don't warranty for blisters told us that they handle these complaints on a goodwill basis. Our experience shows that informal assistance -- usually no more than 50% of the repair cost -- is most common when original owner boats are less than five years old.

Just some interesting info on the topic.

ttu
11-28-2007, 05:57 PM
roonie, 05 supra's blistering warranty was only good for 1 year from date of purchase. hull longer.

Roonie's
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
according to the Supra sales rep for 08 they now have 5 year gel coat coverage which includes blisters. I asked him and that is what he said so he may be lying to me? Their web site shows 5 year gel coat coverage but no mention of blisters.

j4rowell
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Blistering is not widely known. I've never known of it until I had it happen to me. I live on a lake and I'd say 1 out of 15 people know what it is.

And who the heck reads the owners manual? I understand its a pricey investment, but so is a new truck and hardly anyone reads that crap. It would put me to sleep. I'd rather read teen magazine and get the new Justin Beiber gossip.

willyt
04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
And who the heck reads the owners manual? I understand its a pricey investment, but so is a new truck and hardly anyone reads that crap. It would put me to sleep. I'd rather read teen magazine and get the new Justin Beiber gossip.

uh.... i read my owner's manual. 1) I'm a first time boat owner 2) first time mastercraft owner.

might come down to how much time you're willing to put into your boat...

JohnE
04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Why are we dragging this thread back up?