PDA

View Full Version : Security Systems

JohnnyB
11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
The simple questions:

Who has a security system in their home? Who is the supplier? What is the cost per month? If you were to buy one today, what would you buy and why?

The rest of the story:

Stopped in at the bar/restaurant about a a 1/2 mile down the road from my house for a bloody mary this morning. I haven't talked to the owner in about a month and found out that he has been burglarized 3x in the last five weeks.....random hits sometime between midnight and 6am.

We live in a rural area.....my road is 1 mile long and there is the restaurant at one end of the road and then a total of 7 homes in the mile stretch with mine being the second from the restaurant.

I'll certainly be a little more attentive to what's going on in the early morning hours when I come home at bar-time or get up to go hunting at 3:30am. However, we also travel lots on weekends and leave our home empty which is a concern.....I'm thinking about security systems.

I'm also thinking that with the 7mm mag off my deck, I may be able to knee-cap the thief.....I've got a reasonable view of the door they break in through.....i'd probably miss but may scare him enough to soil himself :D

milkmania
11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
The simple questions:

Who has a security system in their home? Who is the supplier? What is the cost per month? If you were to buy one today, what would you buy and why?

The rest of the story:

Stopped in at the bar/restaurant about a a 1/2 mile down the road from my house for a bloody mary this morning. I haven't talked to the owner in about a month and found out that he has been burglarized 3x in the last five weeks.....random hits sometime between midnight and 6am.

We live in a rural area.....my road is 1 mile long and there is the restaurant at one end of the road and then a total of 7 homes in the mile stretch with mine being the second from the restaurant.

I'll certainly be a little more attentive to what's going on in the early morning hours when I come home at bar-time or get up to go hunting at 3:30am. However, we also travel lots on weekends and leave our home empty which is a concern.....I'm thinking about security systems.

I'm also thinking that with the 7mm mag off my deck, I may be able to knee-cap the thief.....I've got a reasonable view of the door they break in through.....i'd probably miss but may scare him enough to soil himself :D
concealed weapons instrutor told me shoot to kill, not to wound
dead men tell no lies
and

if he's coming in the window when you shoot him, and falls back outside...... pull his *** back in:uglyhamme

BrianM
11-03-2007, 06:16 PM
This is my security system. Probably cost about $50 a month. They make plenty of noise. Oh and they have Sig Sauer as backup. :D

Mag_Red
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
glad you started this thread.........interested in the same thing especially as all the walls are still exposed!

JohnnyB
11-03-2007, 07:55 PM
This is my security system. Probably cost about $50 a month. They make plenty of noise. Oh and they have Sig Sauer as backup. :D

Problem is when we go away on weekends, our Black Lab goes with us. I really don't worry about anything while he's home.

It is somebody that watches the establishment and knows when the owner or staff come and go.

The last time the restaurant was broken into, the owner stayed until 3am but had an infected tooth that was causing him issues....he went home and when the clean up staff came in at 6:30am he'd been hit already.

It would be easy for this same person to see me load the family and luggage in my truck and connect up my snowmobile trailer or boat and know that I'll be gone for the weekend.

JohnnyB
11-03-2007, 07:56 PM
glad you started this thread.........interested in the same thing especially as all the walls are still exposed!

I'll jack my own thread....are you going to install in-wall/in ceiling speakers throughout your house?

Best thing I ever did! I've got a pair of speakers in the ceiling of every room.

H20skeefreek
11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
My wife used to be in sales for ADT, so I know this stuff well. I'm not trying to sell you anything though. She doesn't still work for them, and she hated working for them.

The system I'm going to tell you about would be expensive though, around 2-3k, depending on the number of doors and windows.

In my opinion, I would only buy from ADT and only have ADT monitor it, if you wanna save some bucks, have it installed by someone else (only an authorized ADT dealer), then have ADT monitor it. The equipment that ADT sells is MUCH better though, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They are lieing. ADT has multiple monitoring stations that can withstand a freakin' nuclear attach. Some of these other places have one guy doing the monitoring in a garage in Tuscaloosa.

If you are truely "rural" my wife says don't even bother having it monitored. Do full perimeter protection, and keep a shotgun handy. The cops won't get there in time anyway.

The system:Get full peremiter protection. Sensors on every door. Sensors on every window that a kid might EVER sleep in, even upstairs (these things keep kids in too) unless there is nowhere they could jump to. Window sensors are too expensive though for large, multi-window rooms, so get glass break sensors, if you know you are going to keep the windows locked. If you don't keep the windows locked, sensor them individually. Do not buy a single motion detector. They go bad, false trip and don't trip when they should, not to mention, it isn't on at night, which is when you need to actually be concerned. They are junk. Get the extra panel in your room, as well as near the main entry of the house. The talking panels are good if you have small kids, let me know if you need me to elaborate. I'd put a heat sensor in the attic and garage and kitchen (detect heat), and a smoke/heat sensor in the main hallway. CO detectors are good too if you have natural gas.

Mag, you should have the house fully wired now, it's easier and cheaper to build it in. If you do anything upstairs it will keep you from having to go wireless, which will save you a ton. If you don't have anything done upstairs, it doesn't make a difference.

In addition to my "Fort Knox" system, I also have 2 labs and a Dan Wesson .357 magnum. We feel fairly secure.

Mag_Red
11-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I'll jack my own thread....are you going to install in-wall/in ceiling speakers throughout your house?

Best thing I ever did! I've got a pair of speakers in the ceiling of every room.Thinking abut it...PM me the info on your system.:cool:

PendO
11-03-2007, 08:34 PM
mine is thru a regional company (Allied) that does both residential and commercial, the componets are made by a honeywell subsidiary (Ademco) ... mostly wired, some wireless, glass break, motion, CO2/fire ... redundant lcd touch pannels ... when I looked at having mine done I wanted to see examples of finished work, I didn't want to "look" like I had monitors all over my house, but essentially there are ... wired will save a bunch on cost b/c the wirless devices simply cost more ... also, we operate in chime mode so even when the alarm is off I still hear an audible beep when windows and doors are opened (helps keep tabs on the kids) ... good luck ...

Hoosier Bob
11-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I use ADT and have the garage on as well. If I were Pendo, alias Casey I would have had the Va 6iZna two added just to be sure! His wife is hot! :D mine is thru a regional company (Allied) that does both residential and commercial, the componets are made by a honeywell subsidiary (Ademco) ... mostly wired, some wireless, glass break, motion, CO2/fire ... redundant lcd touch pannels ... when I looked at having mine done I wanted to see examples of finished work, I didn't want to "look" like I had monitors all over my house, but essentially there are ... wired will save a bunch on cost b/c the wirless devices simply cost more ... also, we operate in chime mode so even when the alarm is off I still hear an audible beep when windows and doors are opened (helps keep tabs on the kids) ... good luck ...

JimN
11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
JohnnyB- If he lives alone and he booted someone out of the bar or banned them, they're POd and since they know he won't be at home when he's working, it's probably the same person/group. They may even be current customers, who go to the bar, discuss it and then go, after he has served them. It would suck it this is true, but don't be too surprised. Ask him if he would want you and some of his other friends to hang out at his place, sometime. Maybe you could get one of the local cops to make a point of being close by during that time frame. Or, have him set up a video camera (if they didn't take it and the VCR) to record during that window.

Why is he not home by 6AM?

Hoosier Bob
11-03-2007, 09:50 PM
My guess is he sells security systems part time!:D JohnnyB- If he lives alone and he booted someone out of the bar or banned them, they're POd and since they know he won't be at home when he's working, it's probably the same person/group. They may even be current customers, who go to the bar, discuss it and then go, after he has served them. It would suck it this is true, but don't be too surprised. Ask him if he would want you and some of his other friends to hang out at his place, sometime. Maybe you could get one of the local cops to make a point of being close by during that time frame. Or, have him set up a video camera (if they didn't take it and the VCR) to record during that window.

Why is he not home by 6AM?

H20skeefreek
11-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Jim, I think you read it wrong. I think they are hitting the bar.

JimN
11-03-2007, 11:12 PM
"Jim, I think you read it wrong. I think they are hitting the bar."

How many bars close at midnight?

If they're hitting the bar, it's because there's a wad of cash there and it's a safe assumption, on their part. At this point, I'm surprised that a cash business doesn't have some kind of security already.

TMCNo1
11-03-2007, 11:14 PM
DSC System with a regional company monitering the sysrem. Installed by a local independent security company for $1500, windows, doors, motion sensors, fire/smoke/carbonmonxide system included @ $120 /year ($10 mo.) monitoring charge since installed and the monitoring charge will never change.
Do the math compared to a $99 basic system, then add on extras and @ $35 to $45/month to a monitoring company over the years. All the $99 system is doing is financing the system thru the monitoring charge, but once it's still paid off, you still continue to pay the elevated monitoring charge each month. I have a neighbor who got the cheap basic system and after 6 years, he was sick he ever did it compared to our system.

JohnE
11-04-2007, 07:09 AM
I install and monitor security systems as part of my business. It is a small part, so I can be completely honest.

First off, almost any brand will protect equally well: DSC, Ademco, FBI, Naapco, Honeywell, Caddx....Some are easier to use, and some do other things like home automation, remote access, thermostat control, etc. I've been using DSC since 1993 and feel it is the best panel out there.

ADT is owned by Tyco, which also owns DSC. ADT does not make any equipment. They probably do put their name on the DSC product.

As far as protection, you can have door and window contacts, motion detectors, glassbreak detectors which are the 3 most common forms of protection. You need to put contacts on all the doors. Windows are a waste imo. Reason being even if you put contacts on the top and bottom of every window, if someone breaks the glass and crawls through, alarm never goes off. So if you want complete protection, do top and bottom of every window, and place a glass break detector within range of every window. But keep in mind that window treatments like blinds, curtains, etc. will possibly prevent the glassbreak from detecting the breaking glass. Now for motion detectors. They are very reliable and almost never false trip any more. And some are pet proof.

Personally I would put contacts on all the doors, and install enough motion detectors to pick up someone walking through the house. Main hallways, family room, kitchen, etc.

If you are concerned about the motions while you are home, you have the ones in the immediate area of where you are sleeping automatically "bypassed" when you arm in the "stay" mode.

To sum it up. you can make the system as secure as you wish, but it is always a compromise between convenience and security. And a consideration of cost.

Now to monitoring: ADT monitoring is great. But so is the monitoring from any UL Listed monitoring station. That is the difference from a guy with a receiver in his basement. The UL listing. I am a dealer for an independant UL listed station. Their service is as good or better than ADT's. And now the price of monitoring. You will find it anywhere from TMC1's $10/ month to $40/ month. Even with ADT you will find you can negotiate the pricing. A close friend did it last month. But in any event, even in a rural area, I would not bother with an alarm if it is not monitored. And at that point, think hard about having smoke and CO detectors installed. If there is a fire, it will likely save you property if you are not home.

I dont want to bash ADT, but with a lot of the national alarm companies (ADT, Brinks) they send out installers that are complete idiots. They have plenty of great installers too.

I've rambled enough, if anyone wants more info, PM me.

JohnnyB
11-04-2007, 07:41 PM
"Jim, I think you read it wrong. I think they are hitting the bar."

How many bars close at midnight?

If they're hitting the bar, it's because there's a wad of cash there and it's a safe assumption, on their part. At this point, I'm surprised that a cash business doesn't have some kind of security already.

It is a restaurant/bar. He typically closes on weeknights by 8 pm. Weekends, he usually stays open until 2am. The cleanup person comes in at 6 or 7am. He typically shows up at 7am to let the food supplier and Bud delivery guy in.

The last time it got hit, the owner was there until 3am and had planned to stay all night. He had such bad pain from a tooth infection that he went home at 3am and the place got hit sometime between when he left and 6am. :mad:

As for the hours....8 pm on weeknights is flexible....I've showed up at 9 or 10 if the lights are on and as long as you keep drinkin' he won't ask you to leave. There have been several nights that I've helped lock up at 2am and then we've sat and drank until sunrise....after 2am you have to serve yourself, because the bar is closed. :D

As far as a security system, as I said, we're in a rural area....we've typically never worried about stuff like this happening. I think most people around here don't lock their doors, ever. Over the past year, we've started to lock ours when we're not around and at night. I think if any of the neighbors saw this happening, the perp would most likely get shot. I can't think of someone in the area that doesn't own several guns....we're all avid sportsman.

KBryant2007
11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I have two guard dogs as well, but I recently caught them sleeping on the job. It's always good to have a backup plan.

mbeach
11-04-2007, 10:15 PM
depending upon how rural you are, it may be too late by the time the cops/fire folks get there. i assume you are in the volunteer fire dept district. lights and noise may be the best deterrents triggered by carefully placed motion detectors being careful to allow for animals if the motion detectors are placed outside. i know my system activated accidentally one day while i was at work and when i arrived approx 1 hr later the cops still had not arrived because they were "tied up" on other calls. other calls in this town means issuing traffic citations.

bcampbe7
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I had ADT ( I still use there equipment). I now use a local company. $9.95 per month monitoring and thus far they have been better than ADT. We have had a couple false alarms (forgot to disable the alarm in the morning when I let the dog out a few times). This new company calls the house within 30 seconds to 1 minute to verify that everything is OK. I never got a call from ADT when that type of thing happened.

In your case, i would start with some good motion lights outside. Sounds like whoever is hitting the restaurant knows the owner. ;)

H20skeefreek
11-05-2007, 07:52 AM
IMO, I don't want them calling everytime. If you are in a hurry to get out the door, and you accidently trip the alarm, you have to wait for them to call. If you trip it, and imediately disarm it, clearly there is no problem. You can have ADT call you regardless if you want them to.

I still say, if you are going to have it monitored, ADT. If you are too rural, don't bother with monitoring, but make sure you have the "monitored by ADT" signs.

Ric
11-05-2007, 08:39 AM
glad you started this thread.........interested in the same thing especially as all the walls are still exposed! I dont know when the last time was that you checked the site but I've already fenced that furnace!

Ric
11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
funny story. I moved last year and moved my alarm service to the new place. 5 miles down the road, but technically a different city.... small town, but they think they are san francisco or something with the way they operate! anyway, they require an alarm permit... nobody told ric. alarm co calls me while I'm out of town to tell me zone 2 is showing an alarm... I said call the cops I'm out of town! oh no sir, we cannot call the cops, you don't have a permit. CALL THEM, I dont care about that! oh no we cannot call them because they backcharge the monitoring co for even calling them for a customer with no permit. CALL THEM NOW (*&^%$^&$!!!! so they did and the city PD told them to get stuffed even after they told the city I was out of town and new and all that biz.... Insane to have to pay for protection like this! :rant: rant over

JohnE
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I still say, if you are going to have it monitored, ADT. If you are too rural, don't bother with monitoring, but make sure you have the "monitored by ADT" signs.

Are you sure your wife isn't still working for ADT?:D

Seriously, there are others as good as ADT for less money. If you are sold on ADT, great, but there are other options.

M-Funf
11-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Since the cats are not a good deterrent to anybody who might break in, we use an alarm system.

We use Bay Alarm. $33/month. They call within 30 seconds on every alarm. They have a chain of numbers to call. If they don't get an answer on the first three they call the police.

It has different modes depending on our being home (instant on) or away (delayed on/off for entry). The motion sensors inside kept getting triggered by the cat jumping up into a window, so we took it down for now. We'll find a better spot for it later. We don't have the fire alarm plan, or CO, or any of the other stuff.

The equipment was already installed in the house when we purchased it. We've added additional door sensors on the basement and wine cellar. My only beef about the system is that there's no manual. The tech who set it up showed us how to use it, but I'd like to have a manual...

Oh, backup is a Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

jbfootin
11-05-2007, 05:16 PM
The monitored by (fill in the blank here) signs are a huge deterent...whether or not you even have a system. They do not want any chance of having the cops show up a few minutes after breaking in so they will move on to an easier target.

I had a guy stop at my house and offer to set me up with a free security system as long as he could put the "monitored by " sign in the front yard and I paid the monthly dues. I did not take him up on it but it was tempting.

JohnE
11-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I had a guy stop at my house and offer to set me up with a free security system as long as he could put the "monitored by " sign in the front yard and I paid the monthly dues. I did not take him up on it but it was tempting.

That's because there is more money in monitoring than in the initial install. Free system is usually 2 doors, a motion and a keypad. Then $30/ month and a 3 year contract.

JohnnyB
11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
The monitored by (fill in the blank here) signs are a huge deterent...whether or not you even have a system. They do not want any chance of having the cops show up a few minutes after breaking in so they will move on to an easier target.

So, to get off cheap, I should steal a couple of "monitored by _____" signs and put them in my yard. Good idea Jay!

jbfootin
11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
That's because there is more money in monitoring than in the initial install. Free system is usually 2 doors, a motion and a keypad. Then $30/ month and a 3 year contract.

Yeah, that sound about right...They kept saying "only a buck a day"

So, to get off cheap, I should steal a couple of "monitored by _____" signs and put them in my yard. Good idea Jay!
by nature theives are lazy....they want to get stuff as easily as possible. If it looks like it could be risky or be too much work they wouldn't do it....usually

Roonie's
11-06-2007, 10:15 AM
My mom's house (rural) was monitored by ADT and thieves broke her window to get in. The motion sensor picked them up almost immediately and set off the alarm. The thieves ran upstairs pulled out some drawers got nothing and then jumped through same window to get out cutting them badly at the same time. The alarm saved her from getting cleaned out. The neighbors have all been cleaned out including cars stolen from garage.

I currently have an independent local company monitor my house and have motions and doors. It is great for kids as we have the chime button enabled so everytime a door is opened it chimes so we know when kids go in or out.