PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in Heater?

rhsprostar
11-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Does anybody know if there is water or coolant running through a heater if you have an engine with closed cooling?
Last night i was winterizing my new to me 197 with LQ9 motor and removed a heater hose and I am almost positive there was coolant in it. It was getting pretty dark so i cant be 100% sure.
Also do you need to do anything else to the heat exchanger besides pulling off the inlet and outlet raw water lines?
Thanks in advance.

rhsprostar
11-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Looks like i am responding to my own post!
After digging a little further it looks like yes it is coolant. Makes life much easier not having to worry about the heater core on those chilly fall nights. After having the closed system cooling up here in the north i couldn't ever go back. Much better peace of mind in the early and late part of the seasons. If i really wanted to, the manifolds are a two second draining procedure and the heat exchanger isn't that difficult either, maybe 5 mins.

VTJC
11-04-2007, 12:02 PM
How is the performance of your heater with Closed Cooling system vs a Raw Water system? I have always thought a closed cooling system would be great for early skiing in spring and later skiing in the fall. Jamie

rhsprostar
11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Works great! I have never really tried the raw water version but the one on the closed system is perfect. Maybe a bit too hot sometimes.
I love the fact that i don't have to worry about it in the early or late part of the season because that's when you actually NEED IT!