PDA

View Full Version : ballast weight

SoCal205
11-03-2007, 12:48 PM
How much weight can you add over the name plate? I've read that people add about 850 lbs.. Add four adults fuel and other things stored I've calculated the weight to be about 1700 lbs. the name plate I believe rates max. weight at 1300 lbs.

swatguy
11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Well there are some arguments that have been brouth up within regards to this over the past few yrs with wakeboats becoming so common. Reason being is that a fats sac will actually be bouyant if thrown overboard. So does that really count against your placard....all depends on who you ask.......ain't my argument, but hey I can see the point. Wih that said I run a total of 1700 lbs in my X-Star/(205V version) Have no problems or ever even worried for a second. Doesn't really effect my boat except for the wake.
I would be willing to bet if you went by the plackard most people's boats who are riding at the top levels are over the plate. Just be smart abbout driving a heavily weighted boat is all. Some boats resond much differently than others for sure

SoCal205
11-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks, but what is your load rating? How much are you over?

AirJunky
11-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I ran a 94 205 with about 800 lbs of lead on board for like 7 yrs. I don't recall the limit on the placard (probably around 1200 or 1300) but I'm pretty sure we were over it with just 2 or 3 people in the boat. But the boat handled great & had a nice wake & was still very manageable, even in choppy windy conditions. Plus I liked it because it was out of sight, mine, the sherriff's or the Coast Guard's. Plus it didn't use up any of my storage space.

Lead is the kind of weight that will bring the boat to the bottom, because it's heavy above & below the waters surface. But water ballast doesn't weigh anything under water. So once the boat has sunk to the waterline, supposedly it isn't going any further. But then again, do you want your boat back any more if it's only sunk to just the waters surface than if it sank to the bottom????

SoCal205
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks AirJunky

cbryan70
11-04-2007, 10:39 PM
are you worried more about the weight factor or the dnr?

SoCal205
11-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Whats dnr?

1boarder
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
department of natural resources - the law on the water in a lot of states

Jerseydave
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
"divison of natural resources"

Otherwise known as the popo, water cops, fish police, etc.
I think your biggest concern would be if you sink your boat full of lead ballast, and your insurance co. won't pay the claim because of it. I would think it would have to be a substantial amount of lead, going over the plate capacity.