PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Research Triangle Park (Raleigh, NC)

andrewtimko
11-03-2007, 11:09 AM
-removed--

TMCNo1
11-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Lake Jordon is not developed (no homesites, only public ramps and a couple marinas), but is within easy driving distance of Cary, Chapel Hill, West Durham and Western Raleigh.

Hammer
11-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Andrew, welcome to NC. I live in south Raleigh/Garner area. There are no lakefront homes within an hour of RTP. I've been around this area my entire life and that is the one thing I don't like about it here. If you need any help with anything here let me know, I've got lots of contacts around.

shepherd
11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Are you taking your boat with you? I saw it parked at the marina a few days ago when I drove by. It looked pretty lonely sitting out there in that big lot! :(

andrewtimko
11-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I actually sold it. It's going back to the lake I grew up on in Indiana where it belongs. I picked up a 22' Larson with a cuddy. Much better for the bay/gulf. If I do go to NC, I will find a V-drive MasterCraft (more room for the girlfriend to lay out). Darvin keeps an eye on it in the lot for me though... ha!

mitch
11-04-2007, 12:14 AM
We nearly relo'd to RTP a few years ago, and were looking on Kerr (pronounced Car) Lake. It's huge 50K acres. Its 45 miles to Raliegh, but the commute was thru little towns part of the way, took just over an hour. Home prices were not too bad. schools seemed like they might be a little dicey, but the area around the lake was really nice, friendly people and I liked it. Lake is a muddy color, which would take some getting used to, but the areas I saw were flat the times I was there :D

I don't like Cary, crowded and cops everywhere. I understand they're a PITA.
Good luck!

Durham bulls are a blast if you like baseball.

http://www.kerrlake-nc.com/index1.cfm

TNH2oSkier
11-04-2007, 09:34 AM
We spent about 14 years there, it was a nice place, its getting crowded now. We liked the apex, holley springs area and its also nice around 42 near Shearon Harris lake. For waterfront you have to go to Hyco lake, Kerr, or Gaston. Hyco would probably be the closest for commuting, but its also the smallest.

mitch
11-04-2007, 10:53 AM
We nearly relo'd to RTP a few years ago, and were looking on Kerr (pronounced Car) Lake. It's huge 50K acres. Its 45 miles to Raliegh, but the commute was thru little towns part of the way, took just over an hour. Home prices were not too bad. schools seemed like they might be a little dicey, but the area around the lake was really nice, friendly people and I liked it. Lake is a muddy color, which would take some getting used to, but the areas I saw were flat the times I was there :D

I don't like Cary, crowded and cops everywhere. I understand they're a PITA.
Good luck!

Durham bulls are a blast if you like baseball.

http://www.kerrlake-nc.com/index1.cfm

Someone mentioned Cary is running out of domestic water????????

vision
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
We live in Cary. it is a nice modern suburb (now 120K residents!) of Raleigh. Housing is more expensive but the market is in a slump the last 6 months so good time to buy. The southeast part of the area (towards Johnston county) is less expensive and growing faster. The west side (Chatam county) near Jordan lake is nice and also growing. The closest lakes to live on would be Gaston (80 miles) and Lake Royale (70 miles). Royale is quite small. Gaston is a great lake, has a constant water level (even in the current drought), but is expensive (average home around 250/sq ft). We live in Cary and have a lake house at Gaston. We only ride Gaston any more as Jordan and Falls reserviors are pretty crazy on a weekend. Not too mention quite low at the moment. If you are planning a long term move and want to look at hanging out at Gaston, look to live in North Raleigh or Wake Forest as this is closer to Gaston. If you do not mind crowds, Jordan Lake is by far the closest, only 10 minutes from Cary or Apex. Harris lake is also small but nice (cooling reservior for nuclear plant) and slightly warmer. Kerr like is quite picturesque and now has houses. But it is used to maintain water levels for Gaston and varies by 3 to 8 ft in water level throughout the year, even without a drought.

The entire state of NC is running our of water!

djhuff
11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Vision, where are you going on Gaston that is less crowded on the weekends that our local lakes? I've never heard Gaston associated with less crowded, and every time I go up there, I swear I'm never going back on the weekends (but I always end up there again).

There is a good group of riders around here. I tend to trailer to Falls Lake in N Raleigh, even though I live in Cary. You can find houses pretty close to the boat launches, and weekday afternoons are pretty much empty out there.

As far as living on the lake, Hyco is about as close as you are going to get to RTP, and they are getting expensive now, although a bunch of land was just released so we'll see what that does to the market. It's crowded on the weekends in the summer, but it's also heated, so the riding season extends much further into the winter (was riding in a heater shirt last January).

Cary is not bad, it's the HOAs that are teh debil, but at the same time, property values are still going in the right direction, and are not overinflated in my opinion.