PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay in shape?

mcdoon
11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been surfing this site for awhile now and haven't seen anything about people's exercise routines. I can see a lot of you are in pretty good shape -- or maybe those pics are from your glory days -- so does anyone have any recommendations? :confused:

captain planet
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Have a set of twins and chase them around the house. ;)

Mag_Red
11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
mcdoon.......... your pylon looks pretty bent in the avatar...........you must have a hell of a cut!:D

Chas
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I am recovering from a back injury, so I am also interested in this topic. If my back settles down without surgery, I will still have some work to do if I hope to ski next season.

So far my doctor has said that water skiing is not that bad for lower back problems as far as impact, but that I should plan on beefing up my abs.

Also - I know from experience that my forearms are tired for a few days after a day on the lake, so I plan to do gripping and other work to build those up.

mcdoon
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
mcdoon.......... your pylon looks pretty bent in the avatar...........you must have a hell of a cut!:D

Ha! My wife never holds the camera right. I'm actually skiing straight up.

kurtr
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Right now I am letting my knee recover from the twin city marathon. But hope to get back to running soon, normally outside year round.

jmac197
11-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Round is a shape...ain't it?

Hockey and lifting in the basment.

Bruce
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I look down at my waist and wonder why anyone would want six pack abs when you can have the whole keg!

betsy&david Harrison
11-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I do cardio and weights on a regular basis at a Gym.

east tx skier
11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I run 2.5 miles at least three times a week and use a bowflex four nights a week. I skipped two nights of the bowflex this week and will probably pay for it when I hit the scale in the morning. Oh, I also water ski when I can.

That shot is from the bow. That's the windshield.

jraben8
11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Mountain biking as much as possible. We also have a gym in the basement of my office building.

Couple that with boys that are 5 and 7....

TheOneandOnly
11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Heres the best workout info...

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2005/WakeboardingWorkout1.asp

j2nh
11-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Bad back from a water skiing accident 4 years ago.
what works for me:
Concept rower
Spin bike
treadmill
Quality elliptical machine
Free weights
Stretching.

Start slow and stick with it. Listen to your back, it will tell you when are pushing too hard. I use a variety of equipment to keep out the boredom.

Stretch out before you ski. Everybody should, very few do.

Find the time and stick to it.

icedog-10
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Be a kid. I just got back from mountain biking two hours. Tomorrow I will probably run and when the snow falls I will cross country ski. All those things work the whole body (except running) and will have you ready for the season without getting injured. I try to lift but I hate working out indoors.

mcdoon
11-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Heres the best workout info...

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2005/WakeboardingWorkout1.asp

One&Only,

Thanks, that looks like a pretty good routine. I think I've got just enough time between now and next season to look like Brett there! :D

BrianM
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Be a kid. I just got back from mountain biking two hours. Tomorrow I will probably run and when the snow falls I will cross country ski. All those things work the whole body (except running) and will have you ready for the season without getting injured. I try to lift but I hate working out indoors.

I'm with you. I try not to "workout" but I do get out and do lots of different things. Mountain biking, road bike, hiking, various yard work, kayaking, SCUBA,some snow skiing in the winter and of course lots of Watersking. I do lots of stuff that is fun outside so I don't have to workout inside.

Muttley
11-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Gym every Tuesday and Sundays when I can. Heavy on the bench, pull-downs, curls, butterflies, peck-deck, sit-ups, ankles, shrugs... then the treadmill as fast as I can for 30 minutes. Then the hot tub & sauna. I plan to start up again next week, I swear!

...Damn. Only 5 months to go 'til next season.

icedog-10
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm with you. I try not to "workout" but I do get out and do lots of different things. Mountain biking, road bike, hiking, various yard work, kayaking, SCUBA,some snow skiing in the winter and of course lots of Watersking. I do lots of stuff that is fun outside so I don't have to workout inside.

My only problem is that I am broke from all my hobbies.

BrianM
11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
My only problem is that I am broke from all my hobbies. I hear you on that. Seems that all of my 'hobbies' are equipment intensive and kind of expensive. Also have to buy two of everything since my wife does them all too. Gotta pay to play.

mcdoon
11-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Brian,

That's a good approach. We joined the local Fitness 19 (it was $15/mo) last Jan and, as much as I hate working out inside, it has made a difference. Also, being in Michigan means lots of opps for outdoor activity and I don't miss too many of them. How long have you been mountain biking? We've got the Iceman coming up next weekend in Traverse City. 28-1/2 mile race through the woods with lots of hills and maybe some snow.

TheOneandOnly
11-02-2007, 04:04 PM
One&Only,

Thanks, that looks like a pretty good routine. I think I've got just enough time between now and next season to look like Brett there! :D

Thats my goal, good luck, make sure to take some before and after photos. Its amazing to look back at.

spanielman50
11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
find a good p.t. who has experience building core strenghth,,,,,,
i thought they were girlie excersizes till i experienced the results,,,,
masive herniation between L 4 & 5,,,,you must protect your spine
with buiding intrinsic muscles,,,,,it works,,,,,,,,160 hrs on the 88 prostar
last summer

beef
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Probably like most here, I just try to keep moving & make it happen outside whenever possible. I had some back issues a few years ago and picked up this book (http://www.amazon.com/Core-Performance-Revolutionary-Workout-Transform/dp/157954908X) at the recommendation of a friend. Worked wonders for me, and haven't had problems since.

I also picked up a slackline last year from SlacklineExpress.com. That will give you more of a core workout than you might think, and will definitely improve your balance.

BrianM
11-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Brian,
How long have you been mountain biking? We've got the Iceman coming up next weekend in Traverse City. 28-1/2 mile race through the woods with lots of hills and maybe some snow.
Been back into it for the past 3 years. We have to travel a couple of hours in order to get any single track trail that actually have a little elevation to them. Pretty flat around here for the most part.

MCXSS
11-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Use a Bowflex every day (except weekends), Karate, ski and participate in things my son likes to do, such as paintball etc.

jbfootin
11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Used to work out 3 times a week until 2001....Then we started to have children and moved to a different town.

Now we have 3 children but the wife and I just joined Gold's gym this last month and I am trying to get back into it.

Stretching
cardio
Free weights

Forgot how heavy those damn things are after being away for 6 years:rolleyes:

JBaker
11-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Working out:confused:

A man hits a stiff cocktail of D Bol, Ephedra and HGH.

yippikaiyay
11-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I think weight lifting is a real aid, not only in preparing to ride/ski but also in injury prevention. Short term and long. And any type of cardio will be a plus for the duration of your sets and recovering for the next one.

tex
11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I go to the gym 5 days a week. Lift and elip 3 days, walk on treadmill the other 2. The knee keeps me from running. I try to ride my mountain bike in place of the treadmill when I can. PT comes to my house twice a week and kills me. Try to catch the wife at least a couple of times a month! Why use Bowflex when you have Bombay Sapphire! By the way-I'm still round but starting to see a difference!

TheOneandOnly
11-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Sapphire & oJ = yummmm

Mag_Red
11-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I run 2.5 miles at least three times a week and use a bowflex four nights a week. I skipped two nights of the bowflex this week and will probably pay for it when I hit the scale in the morning. Oh, I also water ski when I can.

That shot is from the bow. That's the windshield.Thanks for clearing that up Eastie:D

Jerseydave
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Stay in shape??? WORK!!!

I load and unload 6,000 lbs. of deli meat each week! Makes my back and legs stronger.

On the weekends I do a long set of push-ups in the bedroom ;)

Hoosier Bob
11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I typically smoke (keeps the weight down), run 6-10 miles a week (keeps the weight down), drink mass quantities of beer (jacks the weight a bit), sex with great frequency both with and without a partner (keeps the weight down), Lift 3 times per week (jacks the weight a bit) and totally stress out about my job and life in general! Total loss 30 lbs! Can't beat that!;)

mcdoon
11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Have a set of twins and chase them around the house. ;)

'nuff said. I remember those days -- not twins, but close enough. I always got that look from the wife whenever I'd get them all revved up before bedtime. She misses those days too. :)