PDA

View Full Version : Air Chair/Sky ski

ShamrockIV
11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I am sure everyone has an opinion here. They sure do look like fun!!!! how much trouble are they to learn and what is the odds of me killing myself with one? thanks!!!! I have just focused on skiing for so long that i want to get good on wakeboard and other things too!!

88 PS190
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
For me it was a PAIN trying to learn it.

Keys... Forward forward forward. If you even think anything but keeping your weight forwards, and the handle up then the thing will take to the sky and skitter lose.

Starting out you are basically going to strap in, sit in the water and hold on, keep your hips still and you'll come up. Immediately stay forwards, nd then just get the feel for it.

Stay in deep water.

ShamrockIV
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks i only go to Center Hill which has nothing but DEEP water. i mean 10 feet off the bank and easily 75 ft. i am just wondering the fun to price factor!!

tex
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks i only go to Center Hill which has nothing but DEEP water. i mean 10 feet off the bank and easily 75 ft. i am just wondering the fun to price factor!!
Totally worth it! I have been riding since 91. If I go to a public lake, I usually only ride it.

88 PS190
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Once learned it seems alot of people do nothing but.

Kind of like barefooters, people get hooked on it, and they stop skiing/boarding etc.

scottkirbysavage
11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
If you have been skiing for a long time, you definately need to give this a try. It is a new level of excitement. I purchased a V-38 Air Chair and it was extremely easy to learn on and has the highest performance and comfort Air Chair offers. Yes it is expensive but well worth it. You will have everyone at the lake gazing. If you want to watch a cool video, got to www.airchair.com and at the bottom of the page there is a link for a video that was on stunt junkies. Goodluck!

ShamrockIV
11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I guess i need to sell a kidney to come up with 3K

88 PS190
11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
lol, look for someone who can teach you first.

It'll lower the learning curve, and well you'll not need to buy one until you know you like it.

MMCCAR12
11-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Try To Find A Used One. It Will Save You A Lot Of Cash.
Some People Learn Very Easy And Others Take Some Time.

They Make Little Pontoons Which Bolt To The Ski And Help Stablize The Thing. Contact Air Chair For Those Things.

WakeSeeky
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm one of the "done with wakeboarding and skiing" crowd. Once we got the foil, I just wasn't interested in that anymore.

I got desperate and just bought one. Other than an assembly mistake :o I was able to get out of the water fairly quickly. My husband took longer. It would have been a lot easier if we had ridden with somebody that knew what they were doing, but we didn't know anybody then. Now we've met a bunch of great people and learned to just not be shy. Everyone we've met has been happy to teach whatever they can.

I know there's a Tennessee fly in, if that's at all convenient you will have a great time. Check out the Yahoo Hydrofoil (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil/) and Foilfreaks (http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/index). I would bet money you can find someone willing to teach you, everyone I've met is eager to get new people involved. Speaking of, if you happen to find yourself in Vegas, give me a holler and we will gladly pull you on our crack pip... er, I mean foil. :D

bigmac
11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Steep but short learning curve, but a total blast. I taught myself, and subsequently taught several others to get up on the thing. You can look for a used one, but a modern Air Chair Stealth used on ebay is still going to cost you close to $1000. After I learned, I sold my Stealth to get a Sky Ski B39. I bought it for $1100 new from Lance Riensma on ebay and sold it two years later for $980. IMHO, the Stealth Air Chair is easier to learn on and cheaper than the equivalent Sky Ski, but after learning the basics, the Air Chair will begin to hold you back. After getting to the point where I could jump wake-to-wake on the Stealth, my learning curve stalled a little. I still recall the shock of my first jump on the B39 as that thing LAUNCHED into the air.

AirJunky
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Just reinterating what everyone else has already said........ old skier/boarder converted to foil rider. Rode AirChairs from 93 - 98, been on SkySkis ever since.

SS foils seem to be far more popular because of their forgiving landings. Plus there are way more options for foil lengths, seat types, etc.

Stealths are great to learn on, but once you get to the curved intermediate/advanced wing, it's tough to manage the landings as you learn to jump & get inverted.

If you insist on AC, then I'd go with Geno's GY38. Geno is the current World Champ & has designed his own foil but for some weird reason it's not marketed on the AC site but only thru Geno at Foiltime.com. It's a far better riding & landing foil than anything else AC makes. Almost seems to ride like a SS. ;)

I'm riding a B39 t-bar, with Bat wings & a Evo seat. Longer bars are great for getting huge air on your jumps & inverts. The Evo has about an inch of give built into it for softer landings. And whatever you get, set it up with a set of Cinch FootStay heel straps available from Cinchmax.com.

Check out http://www.tnflyin.com for more details about the TN FLyin on Dale Hollow & who runs it. Several of the guys are in your area.

Good luck & drop me a message anytime if you want to know more about the sport.
--
Bill
http://airjunky.com

FrankSchwab
11-03-2007, 02:08 PM
You can learn on your own, but you'll have more fun and learn faster from someone who knows what's going on.

We found that, in the beginning, some people (my wife, for instance) just pop up on it and have no problems with the initial riding skills. Others (a friends brother, who's been water skiing for 30 years, is good at just about every water toy in existence) couldn't get out at all the day we took him. He'd get up, and fall over sideways every single time.

Even so, we've never pulled anyone out of the water after their turn that didn't have a big smile on their face. Failure on the Chair is still fun, as opposed to, say, failure learning to slalom ski. Pulled a lot of people out of the water who weren't having fun learning that.

In any case, the cost to fun ratio is huge; unlike most other water toys, the "cost" can essentially be zero. Buy a used air chair (even the ancient ones) for $500-$1000, use it for a year, and you can sell it for what you paid for it. The only additional cost you have is a low-stretch rope, and perhaps a wide-yoke training handle. We tried using a normal slalom rope initially, and boy did that lengthen the learning curve!

sdesmond
11-03-2007, 02:16 PM
When I learned to foil, I learned from a professional water skier who was in a ski show and befriended us. We were in a 94 supra and were trying to learn how to do ATB's (Around the boats). Needless to say the supra just wouldnt let us do them. Even when he was driving. We inherited an origional Air Chair that was beat to hell and probably was unsafe to ride. He got out on it and was doing flips all over the place. It had a penny between the fin and they shaft to give it upward momentum. I then rode a sky ski and it was way easier for me to use even as a beginner. I have not done it for about 4 years. Now since we just purchased our first ski boat I am going to get back in to it.

Lennyp04
11-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Looks like fun, heard some of the falls hurt tho...

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-03-2007, 09:38 PM
The only time the falls will hurt is once you start trying to jump. The initial learning to ride is done at 12-14 mph and a fall is no more painful than falling off a dock......you get wet but that is about it. As was said earlier, even if it takes a little while to learn, you'll be having fun the whole time.

Lennyp04
11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
The only time the falls will hurt is once you start trying to jump. The initial learning to ride is done at 12-14 mph and a fall is no more painful than falling off a dock......you get wet but that is about it. As was said earlier, even if it takes a little while to learn, you'll be having fun the whole time.

And having fun on the lake is what its all about!!!!

lanier92prostar
11-03-2007, 10:40 PM
The only time I tried, I fell a lot, but it was a blast riding when I finally got the hang of it.

AirJunky
11-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Went out riding today. 47 degree air temp & 49 degree water....... and the water was glasssssss. Only other boats we saw was a Coast Guard Whaler, a fisherman & a jetskier with a pet goose flying by their side. :cool:

91ps190
11-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Sky ski all the way. I have had both and the skyski is superior. Either way they are a blast, you can ski forever, and you can ski on rough water when everyone else is parked.

SkiDog
11-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Here's a pretty cool pic I took at Mag mania III. This is TooTall.

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Some guy name Geno Yauchler (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/geno-yauchler-hydrofoil-guru-showing-his-stuff/577918947) is out back on my lake do'n flips on one of those thing's right now :rolleyes:

defender1009
04-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Hardest fall I've ever taken was on an air chair. Hurts still just to think about it.

coz
04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
You can learn on your own, but you'll have more fun and learn faster from someone who knows what's going on.

We found that, in the beginning, some people (my wife, for instance) just pop up on it and have no problems with the initial riding skills. Others (a friends brother, who's been water skiing for 30 years, is good at just about every water toy in existence) couldn't get out at all the day we took him. He'd get up, and fall over sideways every single time.

Even so, we've never pulled anyone out of the water after their turn that didn't have a big smile on their face. Failure on the Chair is still fun, as opposed to, say, failure learning to slalom ski. Pulled a lot of people out of the water who weren't having fun learning that.

In any case, the cost to fun ratio is huge; unlike most other water toys, the "cost" can essentially be zero. Buy a used air chair (even the ancient ones) for $500-$1000, use it for a year, and you can sell it for what you paid for it. The only additional cost you have is a low-stretch rope, and perhaps a wide-yoke training handle. We tried using a normal slalom rope initially, and boy did that lengthen the learning curve!

Your right Frank, my friend took me and my son out (this is all he does) on his sky ski and my son took to it like it was nothing, I on the other hand was doing the hops & flops :D After a while I got it, but by no means am I qualified to say I know how to ride them. And yes even the learning frustration is fun :D

SkiDog
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Some guy name Geno Yauchler (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/geno-yauchler-hydrofoil-guru-showing-his-stuff/577918947) is out back on my lake do'n flips on one of those thing's right now :rolleyes:
I have just purchased from Geno, the T-bar that he was using when he jumped over the boat during the STUNT JUNKIES episode. Hope it improves my foiling!:D

KnoxX2
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I have just purchased from Geno, the T-bar that he was using when he jumped over the boat during the STUNT JUNKIES episode. Hope it improves my foiling!:D

The only thing that will improve your foiling would be a fountain of youth. J/K :rolleyes: :D

SkiDog
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
The only thing that will improve your foiling would be a fountain of youth. J/K :rolleyes: :D
And you want ME to teach you how to ride. OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hold my beer and watch this!:D

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I have just purchased from Geno, the T-bar that he was using when he jumped over the boat during the STUNT JUNKIES episode.
Hope it improves my foiling!Did you say, hopes it improves your falling :D that's what I thought.
oh, foil'n ... ok now I get it.

So next time I see Geno, I'll tell 'em I know ya ...
And that your still

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images7/Drooling_Maggie_5.jpg

about his T-bar :uglyhamme :uglyhamme