PDA

View Full Version : 16x8--Garage door install

TheOneandOnly
11-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Were looking to increase the height of our current garage to accomidate guess what? The new boat lol :) . Anyway I have a carpenter coming to open it up, Im a very handy guy, and am looking into installing the garage door myself. Anyone here install a garage door before? I have a guy I can hire for 300.00 to do the whole install.

Advice would be appreciated.

KnoxX2
11-01-2007, 09:33 PM
I would hire it out, they can be a pain in the A$$.

Footin
11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I would hire it out also, if you mess with the spring it can kill you.

Andyg
11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
If you haven't done it before it is worth the $300. Gettting everything together and getting it to work properly is a pain in the a$$. Just winding the spring you might loose a hand.

TheOneandOnly
11-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I agree.. They have this new garage door that has a tension spring that hooks up to a drill to tighten, its supposed to be safer than the old hand job style.

Update I just found a guy that will put a 2" insulated garage door for the same price of me buying it in a store. Time to sit back and watch it get done. Thanks guys

milkmania
11-01-2007, 10:39 PM
16x8--Garage door install

give these guys a call

1boarder
11-01-2007, 10:50 PM
How do you plan on raising the header. I am in the same "boat" as you. I have a 7 foot door with a 10 foot roof. Cheap builders, i guess. I thinking it wouldn't be too hard but I got to support the roof while the header is being removed and replaced. At least I have vinyl siding around the door. If you mind me asking, what do you think the job will cost?

bigmac
11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I would hire it out, they can be a pain in the A$$.

Boy howdy!!

$300 well spent, IMHO.

phecksel
11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
there aren't many things I won't do, and garage doors is one of them

Andyg
11-02-2007, 01:58 AM
How do you plan on raising the header. I am in the same "boat" as you. I have a 7 foot door with a 10 foot roof. Cheap builders, i guess. I thinking it wouldn't be too hard but I got to support the roof while the header is being removed and replaced. At least I have vinyl siding around the door. If you mind me asking, what do you think the job will cost?

When they raised my header from a 7 ft to a 9ft high door they used a few strategically placed 2X4s to support the load. They only had the trusses supported by the 2x4s for about an hour and there were no problems. I was glad I was watching when they were trying to move the heavy header around.

My total cost was probably around $1500 for the door and the installation. The door (insulated with steel on both sides) was $750 and I am guessing on the labor. I paid $2000 in labor for them to install the garage door and build a custom shed. I also paid another $200 for a 9ft garage door.

TMCNo1
11-02-2007, 07:33 AM
give these guys a call

I think those are the guys I used! Took them 10 minutes to take down the old door, the 30 minutes to install the new one and 45 minutes to find their teeth they knocked out with the door spring bar. It took so long, cause they couldn't figure out which teeth belonged to who. I found one 3 weeks later in the boat!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Were looking to increase the height of our current garage to accomidate guess what? The new boat lol :) . Anyway I have a carpenter coming to open it up, Im a very handy guy, and am looking into installing the garage door myself. Anyone here install a garage door before? I have a guy I can hire for 300.00 to do the whole install.

I have done a few. Not bad. They are probably going to want another 150 for the opener. So for $450 total, I'd do it myself.
It's not a big deal, most important, JUST PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to what you are doing with the springs.
I made some temporary blocks to hold each of the panels in place while I installed the wheels.
Not a big deal, but then again, if I needed to make my door opening larger, I'd do that myself too. So I guess it's all in what you are comfortable with.

TheOneandOnly
11-02-2007, 09:46 AM

I have a gable roof (i.e major load bearing walls are on the right and left not on the garage door it self). Which makes a huge difference in cost.

I got a killer deal from some master union carpteners, one that wants the old (6yr old) 16x7 garage door. There going to come take the garage door down, and raise the header for $200.00. They say its an easy task. The guy is buying my old door for 150.00 so all in all its only costing me 50.00. The guy charges 25.00 an hr and two guys will performing the task, he estimates no more than 4 hrs to do.

I also found a killer deal for a brand new 2" steel insulated garage door installed for 775.00 from a 20yr vet. around town.

defender1009
11-02-2007, 09:48 AM
its supposed to be safer than the old hand job style.

I've heard of a lot of ways of installing a garage door, but this one is new to me.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself).

TMCNo1
11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
I've heard of a lot of ways of installing a garage door, but this one is new to me.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself).

You gotta have something to raise to garage door!:rolleyes: :D

KnoxX2
11-02-2007, 01:06 PM
When they raised my header from a 7 ft to a 9ft high door they used a few strategically placed 2X4s to support the load. They only had the trusses supported by the 2x4s for about an hour and there were no problems. I was glad I was watching when they were trying to move the heavy header around.

My total cost was probably around $1500 for the door and the installation. The door (insulated with steel on both sides) was $750 and I am guessing on the labor. I paid $2000 in labor for them to install the garage door and build a custom shed. I also paid another $200 for a 9ft garage door.

Are you saying that you added on the single side for $2000?

BTW that was a great idea to just add on like that!

Andyg
11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Are you saying that you added on the single side for $2000?

BTW that was a great idea to just add on like that!

No I had them build a 10X12 custom shed that matches my house and also installed the new garage door. Here is my shed.