PDA

View Full Version : Fuel reading full all of the time

mrprostar
11-01-2007, 06:43 PM
my guage is reading full all of the time. I switched the wires on top of the sending unit because I read that switched wires can cause an always full reading. Is there anything else is could be but the whole sending unit being bad?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
The float is likely stuck in the up/top position. It should be easy to check..... Pull the sending unit out and check to see that the float is freely moving. If that is not it, you could have wiring problems or the gauge itself could be bad.

cbryan70
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe god blessed you with unlimited fuel

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Maybe god blessed you with unlimited fuel
It should be easy to check that out as well.....just be sure to bring your cell phone along in case the bad sender is the problem.:D

MIMC
11-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Most likely the fuel level sensor itself has been degredated by the poor quality of fuel we are receiving. Do you trailer or fill up on the lake? Tanks near the lake tend to have a lesser quality of fuel in them. My 2000 PS195 sticks on full then drops all of a sudden to a 1/3 tank. I have learned to live with it and have a 5 gal extra at the house or truck at all times....and the cell phone! :)

88 PS190
11-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I only keep about 6 gallons of fuel in the boat any any given time... smaller wakes.

Who needs 20+ gallons of fuel in a boat? 6 gallons goes for long enough anyway

jraben8
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
My 99 did the same thing last June. When I noticed it I refilled and added 12-14 gallons. It started working after that so I guess mine was just stuck. We'll see if it does it again this next spring...

rektek
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
what does it do when you disconnect the wires at the sender ?

tex
11-06-2007, 02:19 PM
my guage is reading full all of the time. I switched the wires on top of the sending unit because I read that switched wires can cause an always full reading. Is there anything else is could be but the whole sending unit being bad?
It's an old boat trick...don't beleive it!

TMCNo1
11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Just go ahead and replace the sending unit and be done with it.

Prostar Rich
11-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Just go ahead and replace the sending unit and be done with it.

TMC NO1,

I see you have 89' Prostar. I have a 90' Prostar so basically they are the same boat. My questions is is it possible to replace the sending the unit with out having to move the gas tank out? My boat is in storage now and this is a project I will want to do in the spring.

Thanks,
Prostar Rich

mayo93prostar
11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I think you will have to slide the gas tank forward to remove sender based on my experience with my 87 and 93. One way to test gauge is to remove the wires from the sender and gauge should go to empty and then touch the wires together and the gauge should go to full. do not let them touch too long, it could damage gauge. if this proves the gauge is working then you need to fix or replace the sender. the new fuel with ethanol has caused various problems with fuel tanks and senders. good luck.

mrprostar
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I will test the gauge. Thanks for the help. If the sender is bad, how do I diagnose the problem? I have replaced one on my 69 Camaro and my 79 Bronco so I know the only hard part is getting the tank out but if it repairable that would save some money.

Prostar Rich
11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I think you will have to slide the gas tank forward to remove sender based on my experience with my 87 and 93. One way to test gauge is to remove the wires from the sender and gauge should go to empty and then touch the wires together and the gauge should go to full. do not let them touch too long, it could damage gauge. if this proves the gauge is working then you need to fix or replace the sender. the new fuel with ethanol has caused various problems with fuel tanks and senders. good luck.

Thanks,

I did test to see if the gauge was working and it is so it's the sending unit. The way I tested it was to remove the ground wire and the gauge read empty. I then grounded the ground wire and the gauge read full. When I inspected what would be involved there are several brackets that hold the tank in place plus the hose that connects the tank to the fuel cap opening. Best bet would be for me to run the fuel down low in the spring so moving the tank won't be a big deal.

Thanks again,
Prostar Rich

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
TMC NO1,

I see you have 89' Prostar. I have a 90' Prostar so basically they are the same boat. My questions is is it possible to replace the sending the unit with out having to move the gas tank out? My boat is in storage now and this is a project I will want to do in the spring.

Thanks,
Prostar Rich

Yes, it's quite simple, just pull out the seat, back panel and sit on the floor and work from above the tank under the transom deck, 1/2 hour job.

mc79
11-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I have a 79 & TMCNo1 is right. 30 minutes tops. However, my sending unit wasn't bad so I had it in and out several times. Turns out that the boat had been restored and a rubber bumper put around the outside where the top meets hull. They used long rivets that damaged the wires, giving intermitent results. Mostly, it read "Full" all of the time. Sending unit is the most likely problem. Replace the wires if that doesn't work.