PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower recommendations

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I know this is a little early to be thinking this but............

I have a good size driveway not including the turnaround area in front of my garages not pictured.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/driveway.jpg

Last winter we had someone snowplow it for us but at $39 a shot it added up quickly. Luckily it was a bad snow year. This year I want to get a snowblower to do the job. Any one have any good recommendations. I bought a John Deere lawn tractor but to get the snowblower attachment it will run me $1550 out the door installed with tire chains. I am thinking I can get a good snowblower for around $500. I could be wrong. I have also shoveled the driveway and it took me almost two hours which is just not feasible. So any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

KnoxX2
11-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Got Kids? They'er cheep!

J/K I don't live in the snow so no help.

I am sure someone will be along to help.

Evan Jones
11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
8 HP 2 stage minimum. Probably $800 or more. I've got a snowblower for the front of my lawn tractor. It rocks ! I can finish my driveway (about same size as yours) in about ten minutes. I'd go for the $1500.00 option. Pay for itself in a couple years with some good storms.

mitch
11-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Ariens......Paid 1700 10 years ago, and the thing is a beast. They've cheapened em now that they're at HD but still very good. The tractor option looks better on paper that in use. I heard they really struggle, esp on the 1st pass and in heavy wet snow.

Maristar210
11-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I have this Ariens 824 2 stage. My drive is half of yours and it takes me 20 minutes to clear a foot of snow. I bought it and paid the long dollar so I could have a truble free electric starting snowblower that would last a very long time. $500 wont get you much I am afraid. Mine was $1400OTD but it has never failed and I have only changed the oil and lubed it.

Edit:
Mitch - Great minds think alike....
AND the thing really throws the snow a long ways. Kind of fun actually....

Heres a pic:

dpolen
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
I bought a 10HP Troy Bilt @ Sam's Club a few years ago, was approx $800...my driveway is only about 50 feet long, but it sure makes clearing the snow easy. Mine has the electric start, but I've never used it because mine always starts on the first or 2nd pull. As mentioned above, its kinda fun to watch the thing throw the snow 20-30 feet...kids love it. I know that Sams and Costco both have them in stock now, might be worth a trip...I know they were under $1K last time I was there. Just my 2 cents.

ProTour X9
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
We have John Deere, but any good name should do the job (Honda, Toro, etc.)

mitch
11-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I have this Ariens 824 2 stage. My drive is half of yours and it takes me 20 minutes to clear a foot of snow. I bought it and paid the long dollar so I could have a truble free electric starting snowblower that would last a very long time. $500 wont get you much I am afraid. Mine was $1400OTD but it has never failed and I have only changed the oil and lubed it.

Edit:

Heres a pic:

It is fun, I don;t mind doing it, good cardio!

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I bought a 10HP Troy Bilt @ Sam's Club a few years ago, was approx $800...my driveway is only about 50 feet long, but it sure makes clearing the snow easy. Mine has the electric start, but I've never used it because mine always starts on the first or 2nd pull. As mentioned above, its kinda fun to watch the thing throw the snow 20-30 feet...kids love it. I know that Sams and Costco both have them in stock now, might be worth a trip...I know they were under $1K last time I was there. Just my 2 cents.

Costco is our friend...... saw one last year at Costco at the end of the year and almost got it then for $800.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Lennyp04
11-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Heres the one we got and it is nice...Its got two little levers and if you press them it turns its self by locking one wheel and spinning the other I think. Anyway, its a Toro Power Max 828LXE. 2 Stage says my dad.

Its a beast. And its got electric start for those cold mornings where you dont want to pull start it!

wakolman
11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
How about an ATV with a blade? Everyone that I know who uses one loves this set up. Of course, more $$$ if you don't own the atv, but maybe an excuse to talk the Mrs. into getting one for the family. For snowblowers, keep an eye on craigslist, I have seen a few late model units that are larger than I want, and people aren't asking that much for them, <$1,000.

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 05:40 PM
ATV w/ blade was an option but way too much money (don't own an ATV)........ I am down to John Deere snowblower attachment or a regular 2 stage snowblower.

I know John Deere sells just the blade (similar setup as an ATV) for around $500 installed. The problem with that is you can run out of room quick to push snow.

We get winds and big drifts out here so I need something that will work. Last winter even though it was a bad year we got snowed in for two days until the plow came to get us out. The kids loved it.

tex
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
What's a snow blower?

Lennyp04
11-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Check out the Toro I dont think you would be dissapointed. And im sure there are other models higher then the 828LXE but I think its pretty close to the top. I know it makes my life a whole lot easier....

jbfootin
11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
What's a snow blower?
Frosty's girlfriend;) :D

justinlkgb
11-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Go with the John Deere. It will take forever on a push model.

or if snow isn't piling up fast maybe a 4 wheeler with a plow?
At least you could more use out of it all year.
Good luck

peason
11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I have an older Airens 5HP, I think its the 524 model, which does an adaquate job, but If I ever go looking for another one - I won't get anything less than an 8HP. My neighbor has an 8 HP that really throws the snow. I left you a v-mail about a John Deere blower attachment that is on the corner of Inwood and Stillwater Blvd. 5 minutes from your house. I don't know if it's the correct model but it was there a couple of days ago. Good luck.
I bought a ATV with a blade last spring - not so much for the driveway, but to clear the ice so we can have a nice big ice rink this year! You will have to bring the kids over to ice skate!

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Phil I will definately check it out. The kids are currently taking there first ice skating lessons at the rec center. It is pretty funny to watch them as our youngest has yet to really stand up on his own. Was meaning to have your family over for dinner soon.

peason
11-01-2007, 06:27 PM
We will have to get together soon. You may want to check out craigslist too.

Bruce
11-01-2007, 06:38 PM

DEdit:

Heres a pic:
Dang Bubba look at the size of that tiller! Paw would take a liking to that!

stuartmcnair
11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
no snow...

JohnE
11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm with Mitch and Maristar. I have a 10 HP Ariens that I bought about 6-7 years ago. It throws a ton of snow in a hurry. I paid about $1800 - $1900 and it was a leftover, so I got $100 off.

My father has a plow as do many of my friends who will plow for free, I just prefer snowblowing. It gets it cleaner and doesn't tear up my lawn, etc.

etakk7
11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
For $600 I got a Sears Craftsman 8HP 2 stage OHV snowblower. I love it, but I would never get one for a driveway of your size! For a 3 inch snowfall you could put it on speed 5 or 6 for your driveway but get a wet 10-12 inches and you are on speed 1 or 2, which is like an elderly person with a walker. I would get the $1500 unit if you get 6 inches or more on an annual basis.

etakk7
11-01-2007, 08:48 PM
heres a pic

stuartmcnair
11-02-2007, 10:54 AM
why in the hell would you even go outside in that?!?!?!

Roonie's
11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Here is when we were snowed in last winter for a couple of days. I at least kept the walkway to our front door clear of snow. The abrupt stop is our driveway.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0029.jpg

etakk7
11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
why in the hell would you even go outside in that?!?!?!

A) The city of Minneapolis does not shut down for that like other cities would

B) If I don't clear the driveway how am I going to make it up to the cabin to ride the snowmobiles?

etakk7
11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
shes about 5'2"

erkoehler
11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I miss winter :(

88 PS190
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
here's what i'd do http://www.tmtractor.com/home_page_jim's_cub.jpg

Lennyp04
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM

I miss summer. I havent been to the lake in almost 2 Months which by now is probobly 2 months. But in anycase I'm excited for winter and all the fun chores that come with it...and snowboarding!!!!

bdecker
11-03-2007, 08:31 AM
ATV w/ blade was an option but way too much money (don't own an ATV)........ I am down to John Deere snowblower attachment or a regular 2 stage snowblower.

I know John Deere sells just the blade (similar setup as an ATV) for around $500 installed. The problem with that is you can run out of room quick to push snow.

We get winds and big drifts out here so I need something that will work. Last winter even though it was a bad year we got snowed in for two days until the plow came to get us out. The kids loved it.

My brother-in-law just dumped John Deere snowblower attachment in favor of a 12HP walkbehind. Having used his tractor set up, I know why... Beware of two things if you choose this option. His was a single stage snowblower, which proved useless in heavy wet snow. I don't know what you are looking at model wise, but in needs augers in the shoot as well our you'll be shoveling... The other problem he had was traction. The turning radius won't be great, so you need to do a lot of backing up to have enough cleared to blow both ways.
If your tractor is underpowered or you get a single stage, no doubt you'll regret it. The walkbehinds are great. I had an Ariens 1336 for years and it was a beast. Ended up selling it for $1000 when I got my current setup, which is a John Deere x595 with a shaft driven two stage blower. It takes longer to warm up than clear my driveway and mows amazily fast as well (more skiing time!)

I'd stay away from a 36" walkbehind if your wife will ever need to use it. They are great and quick for the right snow depth, but the biggest I would buy would be a 1332, 24" or 28" is probably more than sufficient. The really big ones tend to toss around the user, especially if the surface is less tan perfect. The 824 is a great machine, so is the 1028. According to the local dealers, they sell a different version in the big box stores with less heavy duty parts. I'd go to a traditional dealer for the service relationship anyway (not that mine ever needed it...).

Maristar210
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
My brother-in-law just dumped John Deere snowblower attachment in favor of a 12HP walkbehind. Having used his tractor set up, I know why... Beware of two things if you choose this option. His was a single stage snowblower, which proved useless in heavy wet snow. I don't know what you are looking at model wise, but in needs augers in the shoot as well our you'll be shoveling... The other problem he had was traction. The turning radius won't be great, so you need to do a lot of backing up to have enough cleared to blow both ways.
If your tractor is underpowered or you get a single stage, no doubt you'll regret it. The walkbehinds are great. I had an Ariens 1336 for years and it was a beast. Ended up selling it for $1000 when I got my current setup, which is a John Deere x595 with a shaft driven two stage blower. It takes longer to warm up than clear my driveway and mows amazily fast as well (more skiing time!)

I'd stay away from a 36" walkbehind if your wife will ever need to use it. They are great and quick for the right snow depth, but the biggest I would buy would be a 1332, 24" or 28" is probably more than sufficient. The really big ones tend to toss around the user, especially if the surface is less tan perfect. The 824 is a great machine, so is the 1028. According to the local dealers, they sell a different version in the big box stores with less heavy duty parts. I'd go to a traditional dealer for the service relationship anyway (not that mine ever needed it...).

I would concur with this statement in whole. I see my neighbor spending more time positioning his tractor with a plow than actually plowing snow. I also agree about the blower throwing the operator around. My 824 has its moments on cement cracks I can only imagine a 36" would do so more. Having said that I would think a 24 would be a minimum width for your size drive.

If it gets too deep, do what I do, use a friends Kubota :D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Shut up Erk! go move to antartica then!

OK, listen up! whomever wants to buy a snowblower. one word: HUSQVARNA!!!!!!!

I tried the rest, go buy the best. Pricey yes, but you will not find a better snow blower on the market. low maintanence, light weight, high performance, high reliability. Buy it.

TX.X-30 fan
11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
WHATS A SNOWBLOWER???? :D :D

Bruce
11-03-2007, 03:41 PM
WHATS A SNOWBLOWER???? :D :D

Tx I think it must go up your nose. Never touch the stuff my self!

bigmac
11-03-2007, 03:53 PM
If your tractor is underpowered or you get a single stage, no doubt you'll regret it.

I disagree completely. I've had a single stage snowblower on my John Deere tractor for years....never had a problems, and we're talking some deep, wet snows.

Roonie's
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I ended up getting the John Deere snowthrower attachment. It is a two stage attachment that comes with weights and chains for the tires of the lawn tractor. It is adjustable and reallly wide 44" rather then the walk behind snowblowers that are 28" average. It is very manuverable and easy to use so I am glad I went with this choice. Waiting for snow now expected in the next few days.

pkskier
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Mike Tyson

JohnnyB
11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I ended up getting the John Deere snowthrower attachment. It is a two stage attachment that comes with weights and chains for the tires of the lawn tractor. It is adjustable and reallly wide 44" rather then the walk behind snowblowers that are 28" average. It is very manuverable and easy to use so I am glad I went with this choice. Waiting for snow now expected in the next few days.

How big is your John Deere tractor? How bout pics of the tractor and attachment.

Roonie's
11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
How big is your John Deere tractor? How bout pics of the tractor and attachment.

It is their basic line John Deere LA120 simple riding lawn mower. They sell the same machine at Home Depot. I got mine at a John Deere dealership

Chas
11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Odd, they don't seem to have these in our local Costco or Sam's Club.

Hmmm...

http://www.cityofventura.net/depts/civic_engagement/photo_contest/2007winners_files/2007winners.002.png

Roonie's
11-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Here is a pic of the snowblower that I got.

two stage 44" beast.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0001.jpg

JohnnyB
11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Here is a pic of the snowblower that I got.

two stage 44" beast.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0001.jpg

How many HP is your rider??

Roonie's
11-26-2007, 10:24 AM
How many HP is your rider??

It is a twin 21 HP. They guaranteed it would have plenty of HP to move the blades in the wet stuff.

peason
12-06-2007, 09:25 AM
How is the snowblower working out for you? This is the first winter in 6 years that we have had this much snow with more on the way this early in the year!

Roonie's
12-06-2007, 09:31 AM
How is the snowblower working out for you? This is the first winter in 6 years that we have had this much snow with more on the way this early in the year!

So I hear. Best purchase I have ever made yet (other then the MC). At the rate we are going I will be able to pay off the purchase this year from all the snow that I would have had to pay someone else to plow at $45 a shot. Our neighbors have already been plowed 3 times and after today it will be 4. Also with the temps we have it is nice not to be out for very long. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to do whole driveway and I have even done some of the neighbors driveways too.

corey
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Oh man, that blower kills mine. I opted for the one shovel power model good thing I don't have near as much area to clear as you, heck my driveway is only 10' long!

Roonie's
12-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I have about 150' driveway and it took me a long time to shovel it last year. I opted for some HP this year.