PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline - Do you pack it up in the winter?

Ryan
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
This is my first winter with a trampoline in a cold climate. Are ice and snow bad for the mat/jumping surface? For those of you with a trampoline, do you pack up the mat for the winter?

It will soon be cold enough to where I won't want my kids out barefoot anyway, but I'd let them use it with shoes on. Anyone have or know of damage from winter?

Ideas, input?

Maristar210
11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
This is my first winter with a trampoline in a cold climate. Are ice and snow bad for the mat/jumping surface? For those of you with a trampoline, do you pack up the mat for the winter?

It will soon be cold enough to where I won't want my kids out barefoot anyway, but I'd let them use it with shoes on. Anyone have or know of damage from winter?

Ideas, input?

Ryan,

Welcome to the change in seasons. My son bounces on the thing year round. He wears a wakeboard on it in the summer and a snowboard in the winter. We have a rope and handle tied to one of the posts so can practice his "moves" all year long. So, to answer your question the only thing we do to ours is clean the leaves, dirt, snow off of it all year long. The matting itself is still like new but the border has seen better days. The thing is more than 7 years old as well but I do not see anyone around here packing them up, disassembling them or flipping them over.

My son also likes me to build up a pile right next to it so he can jump through the opening and ride down a slope which is code for fall down but as long as its all soft snow its pretty tame.

Good luck - Steve

Ryan
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Good to hear for a few reasons:
I don't want to take it apart
I think the kids would have fun jumping especially when there is snow on it
and it's only cold here for like a month right? ;)

ProTour X9
11-01-2007, 03:08 PM
hmmm, we put it away every Fall.

Sodar
11-01-2007, 03:31 PM

We do the same thing at our river house.... We kept our old trampoline outside in the desert during the winter and even though the mat looked fine, I jumped on it the next summer and went straight through the thing.... IT HURT!!

Ryan, you can take the mat off really easy and just leave the frame. We tossed the springs in a plastic container and through some WD-40 on them, to keep them looking healthy.

Maristar210
11-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Yeah but you have a pink hat

Ryan
11-01-2007, 03:54 PM
We do the same thing at our river house.... We kept our old trampoline outside in the desert during the winter and even though the mat looked fine, I jumped on it the next summer and went straight through the thing.... IT HURT!!

Ryan, you can take the mat off really easy and just leave the frame. We tossed the springs in a plastic container and through some WD-40 on them, to keep them looking healthy.

That would be my winter sotrage plan. And you point out my motivation to take it down, fearing the mat could get brittle and rip open right under one's feet. We have one of the few home owners insurance plans that covers tramps and injuries from them, but still... If it rips, it will either be to a child, probably a belonging to a sue happy neighbor, or when my whole family climbs on.

No kid can get on unless I talk to one of their parents to make sure they give permission, and that we have some understanding that kids can get hurt. But you never know who has an attorney in their back pocket.

Maristar210
11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
That would be my winter sotrage plan. And you point out my motivation to take it down, fearing the mat could get brittle and rip open right under one's feet. We have one of the few home owners insurance plans that covers tramps and injuries from them, but still... If it rips, it will either be to a child, probably a belonging to a sue happy neighbor, or when my whole family climbs on.

No kid can get on unless I talk to one of their parents to make sure they give permission, and that we have some understanding that kids can get hurt. But you never know who has an attorney in their back pocket.

Well ours has survived somehow for 7 winters without issue so were probably doomed then but on second thought Sodar probably bought the Walmart special....

If its a good thick tramp I would not worry about it. hell we don't get much in terms of snow now a days anyway...

keith
11-01-2007, 04:13 PM
sunlight will destroy the trampoline more than anything else.

Maristar210
11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
sunlight will destroy the trampoline more than anything else.

Probably true. Ours is in a shaded backyard under the canopy of trees.

Sodar
11-01-2007, 04:35 PM
.... but on second thought Sodar probably bought the Walmart special....

No No No.... We bought ours before they were sold at Walmart, Costco, Sam's, etc. We got it from the manufacturer... I think they were in San Jose, CA.

Ryan, even if your mat goes bad, you can buy a nice, thick mat for it from the distributors. When I ordered a new one last year, they just asked the diameter and the number of spring D-rings the mat had. They had it made and shipped in less than 2 weeks.

Slinkyredfoot
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
If anyone needs the replacement center trampoline part, let me know, I have on in good shape, will have to measure the size...that I will give away

TX.X-30 fan
11-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah but you have a pink hat

ProTour X9 on his last vacation!! 8p

28824 What is everyone staring at HUH :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
No No No.... We bought ours before they were sold at Walmart, Costco, Sam's, etc. We got it from the manufacturer... I think they were in San Jose, CA.

Ryan, even if your mat goes bad, you can buy a nice, thick mat for it from the distributors. When I ordered a new one last year, they just asked the diameter and the number of spring D-rings the mat had. They had it made and shipped in less than 2 weeks.

Yours like this. :confused: :

28825 :D :D

Sodar
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Yours like this. :confused: :

28825 :D :D

No.... that one is gay.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TSPVFFAYL._SS500_.jpg

peason
11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
We take off our mat, springs and netting and put them away for the winter. The galvanize frame stays outside in the snow. There is plenty of other things to keep the kids busy - like ice skate! Besides that one less thing I have to get the snow off. Did buy a 4wheeler last spring with a blade - so bring on the snow and ice - I am ready for winter!

Jet
11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
We take off the mat, springs and netting as well. We just leave the frame out there. Been two years, and it still works fine.

Now, I just wish we get snow this year !!!