PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Skiing

jwroblew
11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I will be traviling to Phoenix for work starting in Dec running all the way to March. Is there anyone out there willing to give me pulls, I am willing to pay for gas and ware and tear on the boat. I am an OK skier, 28off @ 36mph...

FrankSchwab
11-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm too wimpy to be out skiing Dec-March, hope you find someone.

None of the public lakes that I know of have courses setup; there is a private ski lake Southwest of Phoenix that does, and I'm sure there are one or two others.

Quick rundown of the lakes around here:
Lake Pleasant - big lake in the middle of flat desert. Scenery is poor, but it's relatively close to town (NW), and has a popular party beach.

Bartlett Lake - relatively small lake, moderate scenery, NE of town.

Saguaro Lake - Excellent rugged scenery, excellent skiing, moderate sized lake.

Canyon Lake - Beautiful, moderate lake.

Apache Lake - Beautiful, large lake.

Roosevelt Lake - very large lake (some years) with flatter desert terrain. Lake level is probably very low this year.

Apache, Canyon, and Saguaro have the advantage of very clean water - They are downstream of Roosevelt lake, which catches most of the flotsam washed in by rains. They also have excellent skiing, with wind-protected slot canyons.

About three hours west of town is Lake Havasu and the Colorado River. It's scenery poor, except during spring break.

Lake Mead and Lake Powell are about 5 hours away, huge lakes with Powell being beautiful and Mead being, well, it has the advantage of being close to Vegas.

Good luck.

/frank

FrankSchwab
11-02-2007, 01:33 AM
<dupe deleted>