PDA

View Full Version : Engine Starting Problem!

jaxrider
11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok here is the set up before I get into the problem. A few weeks ago I was flushing out my boat and forgot that I was really low on gas. The boat shut off when it ran out of gas and I quickly shut the key off. The next week I tried to start the boat after filling up and realized my alternator had locked up. I removed it and had it rebuilt and charged up from 70 amps to 100 amps. After installing the upgraded alternator and checking all of the normal stuff my boat won’t crank.
It will turn and turn but not fire and run on its own! I checked the fuel pump thinking that I burnt it up but it showed 50-60lbs with the key turned forward. Check all the breakers and fuses all fine. Double checked the alternator installation. What gives? Any suggestions on what to check next? I have a basic knowledge of how an engine works and do most of the maintenance myself but by no means could I ever rebuild a motor so please try not to be to confusing.

lanier92prostar
11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Did you check the kill switch?

88 PS190
11-02-2007, 11:29 AM
When an engine just refuses to start you have to look at the trinity.

Fuel, Spark, Air.

For fuel you seem to have pressure, making sure you have pressure at the engine would be a decent step, not sure where you cna loosen a fitting on the engine side.

Spark... do you have power at the coil? If you pull a plug do you have spark (have to ground the plug).

For air, is the filter clean are there any mice living there.

jaxrider
11-03-2007, 11:00 AM
The kills switch is working properly (I forgot to mention that I checked that) and the air filter is also clean and free of obstruction. A local mastercraft mechanic is going to drop by sometime this week and take a look.