PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

JoshBuzz
10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
If we plan on running all winter, we shouldn't have to worry about winterizing right??

Just wondering, cause We're running all the way up into December, and then stopping for a couple of weeks, and starting back up in January, and I wasn't sure if we needed to winterize or not!!

Thanks!

ShamrockIV
10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
it depends on where u are. where u keep boat. how cold it gets. not much work to winterize but alot of time and money to fix a craked block!!

east tx skier
10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
To the extent that annual maintenance is a part of most people's winterization process, you need to do that. Also, since it freezes in Texas, you need to drain the water out of the engine (and heater/ballast if applicable) and spin your water pump over with the hoses removed at the low ends to makes sure there is nothing in there to freeze. While it might not get cold and stay cold enough to crack the block, I'd rather do it unnecessarily than not do it and wish I had afterwards. Draining takes a few minutes, and the boat can be recommissioned within a few minutes when you're ready to go to the lake.

I store my boat indoors within a few hours of your location and do a full winterization every year.

ShamrockIV
10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Amen east tx skier!!!
1 gal of sweat is better than 1oz of blood

JoshBuzz
10-31-2007, 03:29 PM
haha, looks like we'll be winterizing in December then, if anything for maintenance's sake!!

She's not new, so I'd rather keep her up to date on maintenance than let anything slip!!

thanks guys!!

Bruce
10-31-2007, 07:54 PM
If we plan on running all winter, we shouldn't have to worry about winterizing right??

Just wondering, cause We're running all the way up into December, and then stopping for a couple of weeks, and starting back up in January, and I wasn't sure if we needed to winterize or not!!

Thanks!
No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!
I've only been thru one winter since I only got the boat in Aug. 2006.It had already had oil change etc. I simply plugged in 100 watt lights with reflectors on each side of the engine and it did fine. It hangs on straps in my boat slip. I've been trying to get maintenance records from MC dealer who is a little over 100 miles away. They promise to send each time but I never get them. I will sometimes this winter change fluids and impeller. Since it was serviced right when I bought it and I have not put 50 hrs on it I should be o.k. If I'm wrong I will no doubt hear about it from someone here!

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 08:19 PM

Bruce, I made that statement on here once, early in my TT life and lived to regret it. I would put on a helmet if I were you!:uglyhamme

Bruce
10-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Bruce, I made that statement on here once, early in my TT life and lived to regret it. I would put on a helmet if I were you!:uglyhamme

It is like my old signature: Some people don't know-and know they don't know. That's o.k. they can be taught.
Some people know and know they know. That's o.k. They can teach.

But, Some people don't know and don't know they don't know.(write your own ending)
Im not worried Harold I know you got my back!

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 08:43 PM
It is like my old signature: Some people don't know-and know they don't know. That's o.k. they can be taught.
Some people know and know they know. That's o.k. They can teach.

But, Some people don't know and don't know they don't know.(write your own ending)
Im not worried Harold I know you got my back!

Yea, I know enough to know, that I don't know enough, to know that I don't know, enough to know that I don't know enough, but I'll look out after ya, what ever that means!:rolleyes:

Willski
10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure what all that knowing and not knowing meant, but if you are storing inside and it doesn't get below freezing, you are okay. Just please do all of your required maintenance, which for many only occurs in winter!!

BrianM
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I've only been thru one winter since I only got the boat in Aug. 2006.It had already had oil change etc. I simply plugged in 100 watt lights with reflectors on each side of the engine and it did fine. It hangs on straps in my boat slip. I've been trying to get maintenance records from MC dealer who is a little over 100 miles away. They promise to send each time but I never get them. I will sometimes this winter change fluids and impeller. Since it was serviced right when I bought it and I have not put 50 hrs on it I should be o.k. If I'm wrong I will no doubt hear about it from someone here!
Bruce you should do an oil and filter change before the slow season. Do you use the boat at all in the winter or not? If you don't use it you should just drain the block and manifold and then not worry about the light. It takes all of about 10 minutes to drain.

I am more than willing to swing by and help you out with a winter service if you'd like. Just let me know. I am right down the street from you.

Bruce
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Brian, many thanks for your kind offer. We use it intermitenly in the winter. My Grandson is home from college this weekend so we will probably be pulling him. After that we just take friends to ride on pretty days. When grandson is home for other holidays and wet suit is enough it will probably be used then. You know the weather around here. I have the oil filter and the impeller. I plan on picking up some oil. Pennzoil 15-40? Since the boat is in straps and not on trailer how is best way to drain?
You've been great with info and offers to help. Much appreciated!

BrianM
11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Brian, many thanks for your kind offer. We use it intermitenly in the winter. My Grandson is home from college this weekend so we will probably be pulling him. After that we just take friends to ride on pretty days. When grandson is home for other holidays and wet suit is enough it will probably be used then. You know the weather around here. I have the oil filter and the impeller. I plan on picking up some oil. Pennzoil 15-40? Since the boat is in straps and not on trailer how is best way to drain?
You've been great with info and offers to help. Much appreciated!
If it is on the lift your best bet is going to be one of the various oil pumps out there so you can suck it out of the drain hose without having to get under the boat. See this recent thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19860&highlight=pump
I use the Rotella T 15w-40 and usually pick it up along with a filter from the Napa on 190 in Mandeville.

Rich_G
11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Bruce, I change my oil with the boat on a lift, and I use an Oil-Boy Oil Extractor. It sucks the oil up thru the dipstick tube. It takes a little time and you need to keep repositioning the oil suction tube, but it gets it all out.

Bruce
11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Bruce, I change my oil with the boat on a lift, and I use an Oil-Boy Oil Extractor. It sucks the oil up thru the dipstick tube. It takes a little time and you need to keep repositioning the oil suction tube, but it gets it all out.

Thanks Rich,
seems like the only answer. I think there is a thread about all the various pumps. I'll check it out.

breezy
11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
JoshBuzz, don't forget, there is no stupid question, only stupid error!
Breezy.