PDA

View Full Version : 04 Suburban/Tahoe

dmayer84
10-31-2007, 01:38 PM
I am thinking about trading in my 07 Silverado for an 04 Suburban or Tahoe. I want to lower my payment in general and I am trying to figure out how much I would loose on the truck. It has 8k miles on it and is still in mint condition and already had 3 oil changes. This a good idea or a bad idea?

bcampbe7
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Do you owe more than it's worth?

If so, you will have to come up with the difference when you trade or sell it.

dmayer84
10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Its right around what I still owe, almost breaking even

bcampbe7
10-31-2007, 02:01 PM
So your payments will be based on what the Tahoe or Suburban costs, correct?

Here is a good loan calculator:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/auto-loan-calculator.asp

dmayer84
10-31-2007, 02:17 PM
More of wondering about any issues with the vehicles, I know a lot of people on here have them.

bcampbe7
10-31-2007, 02:26 PM
We have an 04 GMC Yukon XL and love it. It is 4WD with leather, center captain chairs, ect. I added a DVD head unit and head rest screens for our trips back to Iowa.

This is the best vehicle we have ever owned. It is very comfortable and even with the 5.3L it has plenty of giddy-up. We bought it in January of this year with around 32K miles. It now has just over 43K miles. I plan on owning it till it dies.

dmayer84
10-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Thats good news then, I am worried about buying a used vehicle. My last used car, a jetta, had so many problems with previous accidents and such that never showed up on the Car Fax. So when I bought my next car I said that I had to go new. Well I want to save some cash so I figure go used and trade
in the new truck break even on that and save some $$ in the end.

Roonie's
10-31-2007, 02:42 PM
We have an 04 GMC Yukon XL and love it. It is 4WD with leather, center captain chairs, ect. I added a DVD head unit and head rest screens for our trips back to Iowa.

This is the best vehicle we have ever owned. It is very comfortable and even with the 5.3L it has plenty of giddy-up. We bought it in January of this year with around 32K miles. It now has just over 43K miles. I plan on owning it till it dies.

Ditto.... we have the same version fully loaded 04 chevy suburban bought new. Came with everything except navigation. Love the DVD for the kids. It has about 45k and it is a great vehicle with absolutely no problems yet. We even bought extended warranty at the time to 75k bumper to bumper but may have been overkill. We plan on owning it for several more years unless gas prices become outrageous.

bcampbe7
10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
That is a risk you take when buying used, but a small one in my mind. I have no desire to ever buy a new vehicle. You lose too much money as soon as you drive it off the lot. Let someone else take that loss. ;)

Most of the time you can look at how the panels line up as well as paint orange peeling and stuff to figure out if the vehicle has been repaired.

Another good way of figuring out if it has been repainted is to look at the door jams. Look for over spray here or a line where they painter would have taped the car.

Most places will also let you take the car to your mechanic to have them look the vehicle over. It may cost you an hours worth of labor, but well worth it in the long run.

Roonie's
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
or if you do buy new at least go at the end of the year (Oct) when they get all new models in. Have financing already set up like we did as we used the local credit union. Go in knowing what they paid for dealer invoice. For example..... Ours was listed at 52k with all options which is why it was still there at the end of the year. I told them I would buy it for 45k (dealer invoice) and they had a special rebate going on $8000 cash back. So we went in and bought a new vehicle listed for 52k for 37k. They said absolutely and they got rid of the last 04 Chevy suburban they had on their lot. A win win situation.

ShamrockIV
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
I must agree with bcampbe7. i have a wife and 4 daughters and i recently trsded my wife mini-van for a 03 Yukon XL. We got a 4X4 just becuase that is what i found. we love it!!!!!!!! a great family truck!!! pulss boat very well!!!!! if you are looking for one i would try to get a used one cause the new ones are about 2 times as much as i gave for my 03 with 45k miles!!!!!!

JerryS
10-31-2007, 04:05 PM
I just picked up an 04' Suburban. Had 41000 miles. I would only consider the vehicles that are GM certified. With those, you get a 5yr/100K powertrain (from date of original purchase) You also get a 3 month/3000 bumper to bumper. It also makes you eligible for better finance rates through GMC. The best rates vary based on make/model and how they run their program. When we bought our truck they were only offering 2.9% on trailblazers. With the certified truck it also comes with the 100 and something point inspection, so you wont get anything with bad brakes, tires, etc.

We love the truck. 4 women and a boat in my house. Needed it. Hate the gas mileage, but love the utility. DVD is a must with little kids, and leather is nice with the heated seats. Mine has the full time AWD with Stabilitrak, so it's easier and safer when the girls are out in the truck. Pulls the 197 effortlessly, and I can haul everyone thats going out in the boat with me in the tow vehicle - plus their equipment.

Jerry

ShamrockIV
10-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Amen jerry!!! i took mine to FL this summer with me, wife, 4 kids and my mom and dad. it was nice to take all 8 in 1 car!!!! got around 20mpg !!

Roonie's
10-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes I forgot to mention if you can get the stabilitrack as ours have the AWD and stabilitrack feature too. It has proven its usefullness over and over again in the snow. Our next vehicle will have the stabilitrack option no matter what. By far the best option offered. second place DVD, and third place heated seats with 4 different settings.

BrianM
10-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Your going to loose your a$$ trading in a brand new tuck with 8k miles. Even if the payoff is about what you would get out of it you more than likely had a nice chunk of change down which you will lose. All of the websites values are going to be skewed high (because of lack of data)compared to what the real world would pay.

In your case since you already own the truck unless the payments are eating you alive I would not take the loss and keep it.

swatguy
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Owning nothing but these vehicles I would say they are one of the best multipurpose vehicles out there. They don't get the best gas mileage towing compared to some diesels, but they do get top rated mileage in their class.

I have owned 98 2 door Yukon GT,01 Suburban, 02 Avalanche, 02Yukon XL. 04 Yukon XL and currently an 05 Yukon. So i guess you can say I am biased a bit. My first 3 were bought new and the last 3 Certified used. I will say that good thing about GM's certified programs is the rate you qualify for when they run their specials. Other than that sure the powertrain warranty is good, but I personally took out the extended GM bumper-to-bumper warranty on all my trucks as I used to drive a ton. Trips to CO 3 times a yr and Tahoe once, but well I have family now so they have dwindled a bit. Also they say that the Certified truck goes through a more rigorous inspection and has to pass a higher standard to be certified, but I know people who have just paid out of pocket to have a truck be certified that wasn't listed as such so not sure what that all means. So it doesn't matter if the truck was certified or not in my eyes these days except for the rate savings. I will say that I wish I really had my XL back. I went with the wife on this and came across a smoking deal on this regular Yukon I couldn't pass up. Was a crazy deal, still don't know how they pulled it off, but they did so here I am driving the Yukon I just really liked the space and ride of the XL better. Both of these big Suv's drive great compared to other mfg's. We live in the city here in Chicago so that's why the wife wanted the shorter version. As long as she's happy and I get a new truck why complain eh? She just felt more comfortable maneuvering it.

The Suburban tows much better than the Tahoe due to the elongated wheel base. Also depends on how far you are going to be towing and where. We used to tow 150mi one way frequently so the Xl/Suburban was a must in my eyes, but now that tow range has dropped considerably. Also the rear passenger doors have a larger opening for getting the kids in and out due to the longer wheel base. Don't know if it is necessarily wider but it is more square and direct. Other benefit which I like is that on the Suburban the rear windows roll completely down where on the Tahoe the only go 3/4 of the way. Kind of annoying to me to be honest. I know its not a big deal at all, but it's just one of those things that annoys me. Make sure if you are eying up a Tahoe it has the 5.3L engine. The 4.8 was common in that year on the Ls models and below. Thing doesn't tow a wakeboat well at all with the 4.8. Not sure what trim line you're looking at LS, LT, Z71, but the Autoride and Z71 suspension packages are great upgrades if you ask me.

As for problems. Well I don't want to jinx myself but the most major problem I have incurred was a 4 wheel drive transfer case motor go. That was on my 05 Warrantied so no worries. Did have a couple fuel injector clogs on my 01 Suburban and 02 XL said it was due to using cheap gas so went back to name brand. What I was told anyways. That has been it. Honestly they have been rock solid trucks for me. Really want an 07-08, but well.....prices have to wait til they are used :) and all my accessories that I have collected over the years won't fit the new styles :)

milkmania
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
That is a risk you take when buying used, but a small one in my mind. I have no desire to ever buy a new vehicle. You lose too much money as soon as you drive it off the lot. Let someone else take that loss. ;)

Most of the time you can look at how the panels line up as well as paint orange peeling and stuff to figure out if the vehicle has been repaired.

Another good way of figuring out if it has been repainted is to look at the door jams. Look for over spray here or a line where they painter would have taped the car.

Most places will also let you take the car to your mechanic to have them look the vehicle over. It may cost you an hours worth of labor, but well worth it in the long run.

*saw a brand new on the dealer's lot Nissan 350Z convertable with orange peel....
seen several new cars with orange peel
it seems like it's getting more noticable in new vehicles...probably because the sheet metal is so thin now-a-days:rolleyes:

milkmania
10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Your going to loose your a$$ trading in a brand new tuck with 8k miles. Even if the payoff is about what you would get out of it you more than likely had a nice chunk of change down which you will lose. All of the websites values are going to be skewed high (because of lack of data)compared to what the real world would pay.

In your case since you already own the truck unless the payments are eating you alive I would not take the loss and keep it.

listen to this man!
he's got it pegged;)

Sodar
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Don't get one! They are the biggest piles of shiat you have ever driven. ;)

I love mine... just ticked over 40,000miles today and still running hard.

milkmania
10-31-2007, 06:43 PM
I am thinking about trading in my 07 Silverado for an 04 Suburban or Tahoe. I want to lower my payment in general and I am trying to figure out how much I would loose on the truck. It has 8k miles on it and is still in mint condition and already had 3 oil changes. This a good idea or a bad idea?

very good buddy of mine (simple simon's pizza guy) just got into a loaded 4x4 07 white Silverado 4-door last month from a local car lot for $25,900.00 with 15,000 miles. traded in a 04 or so Ford F150 4-door that he owed on, and stayed around the same payments.....but now he's got a $1600.00 tag fee coming:rolleyes:

milkmania
10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Don't get one! They are the biggest piles of shiat you have ever driven. ;)

I love mine... just ticked over 40,000miles today and still running hard.
pimpin'!!!!!!!!

Jerseydave
10-31-2007, 09:03 PM
dmayer, Listen to BrianM!

You're going backwards! You should already have a decent finance rate on your new '07 truck, better than any used truck finance rate I would think. How much longer is the life of the new loan vs. your existing loan?
You will lose a TON of money because of depreciation, plus losing your downpayment money.
You may have to pay some more state sales tax (boy, I hate paying that!) if the used vehicle is worth more than your '07.

I could be mistaken on some of this, that is if an '04 tahoe is alot cheaper than your '07 truck.

Does any of this have to do with you wanting a different boat???
If so, than go for it! :)
(BTW, a nice used X-7 or X-9 would fit the bill for your needs!!!)

x-10ron
10-31-2007, 09:24 PM
The 2001-2006 tahoe/suburban has to be one of the best SUV ever made!!! I have a 02 tahoe that just past the 138,000 miles, 3 batteries and a A/C blower resistor and a left front window regulator are the only problems I recall. I have worked for a GM dealer as a tech for the last 14 years. I would not trade my tahoe for any new SUV on the market right now!!!

JohnE
10-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Dave,

I'm with BrianM, njskier, and the others. Getting rid of the '07 is a worse financial decision than buying it in the first place...Oh, that's not what they said?:D

But seriously, trade it for the older Tahoe if that vehicle suits you better, but not for financial reasons. JMO.

John

dmayer84
10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Well apparently the websites that I have looked at are way off on the actual value of my truck. So I think I will be keeping it for now. To drop my payment the amount I wanted I would need to go with a 2000 and thats too old for me

Jerseydave
10-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Now, let's talk about trading-in that X-10 for a nice X-9! :)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
More of wondering about any issues with the vehicles, I know a lot of people on here have them.
I have one ('04 GMC). LOVE IT.
I would consider trading it in on a Flexfuel and/or hybrid '08 GMC/Chevy though. E85 around here is about 2.50 a gallon now. vs. the 3.10 for reg I paid this morning. Of course that's just one reason I would like to be able to run E85.
Outstanding trucks overall.:cool:

dmayer84
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I would consider trading it in on a Flexfuel and/or hybrid '08 GMC/Chevy though. E85 around here is about 2.50 a gallon now. vs. the 3.10 for reg I paid this morning. Of course that's just one reason I would like to be able to run E85.

If they had E85 around here I would buy a car capable of it but I just filled up on regular for $2.66 :rolleyes:

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM

My 04 suburban is E85 compatible. I run it all the time. Average in city mileage with regular gas is about 13-14 mpg. Average city mileage with E85 is about 10-11 mpg according to my trip computer. It goes through the tanks fast with E85.

BrianM
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM

If you love the '04 you will really love the '07-'08. The ride is SO much better on the GMT 900 platform.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
My 04 suburban is E85 compatible. I run it all the time. Average in city mileage with regular gas is about 13-14 mpg. Average city mileage with E85 is about 10-11 mpg according to my trip computer. It goes through the tanks fast with E85.
I wouldn't care how much faster it goes, it's 4 yrs old and has (I think) about 20+k...So it wouldn't make a big difference.
I would LOVE to run it. However, it is my understanding, in '04 some were capable, and some weren't, and because I havenot been informed in writing it is not, I will not put a drop in it.
As I understand it, it may run on it if not "capable" however there will be some long term effects. And I chose not to take the chance.:(

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 11:59 AM

With my (worst case) calculations it would cost me about $15 more in E85 to match the mileage of regular gasoline. In other words it is still more expensive to be running E85 even with the serious discount since it doesn't get near the gas mileage. I have been using regular mostly now even though they have both options at the pump and my car is E85 compatable.

Also if you want to find out if yours can run it look at the 8th digit in your VIN number and if it is a Z then it is E85 capable. If it is not a Z then not E85 capable.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
If you love the '04 you will really love the '07-'08. The ride is SO much better on the GMT 900 platform.
About 2 weeks ago I went to the General Motors Plant in Janesville Wisc. for a personal tour of the assembly plant. What an AWESOME experience.
And I got to ride in my first '08 with 0.0 miles (yes you read that right) on it...:D Up until that point, I hadn't taken an oppotunity to ride in one, I would find myself at the lot with a pen in my hand signing the dotted line. I have my hands very full right now, and don't NEED it yet.:o Although, the '06 JGC might need an upgrade....:rolleyes: (But my next commuter will probably have a tailgate and suck diesel again)

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Here is where you can find out if your vehicle is E85 compatable.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

bcampbe7
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
My 2004 GMC Yukon XL says that I can use E85 right on the gas door.

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
My 2004 GMC Yukon XL says that I can use E85 right on the gas door.

same with mine

bcampbe7
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I have yet to see E85 in my area though.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I have yet to see E85 in my area though.
Funny how that works, there might be a few around here that don't have it. The corn belt is a good place to be. Too bad I can't make my own from the corn field 2 blocks from me...:D

I thought the E85 vehicles had a yellow gas cap??:confused:

bcampbe7
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Funny how that works, there might be a few around here that don't have it. The corn belt is a good place to be. Too bad I can't make my own from the corn field 2 blocks from me...:D

I thought the E85 vehicles had a yellow gas cap??:confused:

Not sure about the yellow gas cap, mine doesn't. There is a plate on the inside of the gas door that says something to the affect that my vehicle can use E85.

Roonie's
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Maybe the new ones are yellow gas cap but mine doesn't have it. The sticker just says Notice do not use additives with E85 fuel and then it says same thing in French.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Maybe the new ones are yellow gas cap but mine doesn't have it. The sticker just says Notice do not use additives with E85 fuel and then it says same thing in French.
I'll have to send a message to Marvel's Mystery Oil company as ask them if it's ok....

If I had a choice, my lawnmower, snowblower, edger, weedwacker, pressure washer, generator, chainsaws, snowmobiles, motorcycles, cars, trucks, and all my (engine related) Remote control stuff would run on E85.

Ryan
11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Take your truck to Carmax and other dealers and see what they'll give you for it. Then re-do your math to see if you're enough ahead going used. If the buyout is too low try selling private party.

I got very little interest in my 05 4Runner trying to sell private party on CL. I was able to sell cars in CA in 1-2 weeks, now I'm in the heartland of OH now. I sold it to CarMax for 21500, they turned around and sold it for 25500. It killed to see the difference, and they had it on their website for less than a week. I got a good enough price on my new car to make up the difference though. If like me, you find the right SUV, selling to CarMax day-of is a nice way to go.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Take your truck to Carmax and other dealers and see what they'll give you for it. Then re-do your math to see if you're enough ahead going used. If the buyout is too low try selling private party.

I got very little interest in my 05 4Runner trying to sell private party on CL. I was able to sell cars in CA in 1-2 weeks, now I'm in the heartland of OH now. I sold it to CarMax for 21500, they turned around and sold it for 25500. It killed to see the difference, and they had it on their website for less than a week. I got a good enough price on my new car to make up the difference though. If like me, you find the right SUV, selling to CarMax day-of is a nice way to go.
Sad to say, but I sold a vehicle to carmax in the past as well. They just made it so easy I couldn't refuse. And I got what I was willing to take on the street, of course I listed it higher.
I walked away with a check.:o

stuartmcnair
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
we have a 95 suburban with 200,000 miles on it...loaded 4x4...all options. The only cosmetic thing we have had to deal with is the paint faded off of the fender flares. Those trucks are solid. We want to replace it but there is no reason to.

Ryan
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Sad to say, but I sold a vehicle to carmax in the past as well. They just made it so easy I couldn't refuse. And I got what I was willing to take on the street, of course I listed it higher.
I walked away with a check.:o

I got 2k more from CM than Ford & Chevy dealers offered me. And they do make it very easy. I was surprised though when they said that we'd have to wait a few days before their check would clear.
Did you CM tell you that?

I just ran a search and my old car is relisted at 24995. Takes a little sting away.

Monte
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM

I can feel your pain ryan, But you have to look on the bright side. A lot of people will not buy from an individual, b/c they cannot wrap their heads around the whole financing/ buying/ registering thing.. Car lots just make it too easy for them.... So where they sold it in a week, it may have taken you a lot longer... Plus you have to think about strange people coming to your house to look at it and wanting to drive it....

milkmania
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
we have a 95 suburban with 200,000 miles on it...loaded 4x4...all options. The only cosmetic thing we have had to deal with is the paint faded off of the fender flares. Those trucks are solid. We want to replace it but there is no reason to.
same here with less miles....

sure makes it nice not making that truck payment check every month

Sodar
11-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Glad to see yours held up so well. My dad got rid of his '96 at 90,000 miles, because it had been through 3 transmissions, 1 top-end rebuilt and 2 A/C compressors. That thing left us stranded more than once!

stuartmcnair
11-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Sodar...I wonder if it was actually the transmission giving the problem or the rear end. I had a problem in my '97 Z71. My next door neighbor owns a drive train shop. He said there is a problem with that model's rear end (pinion bearings mainly) and he changed all of mine out. No problems since.

Doesn't matter to you now but that could have been that part of it.

milkmania
11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Sodar...I wonder if it was actually the transmission giving the problem or the rear end. I had a problem in my '97 Z71. My next door neighbor owns a drive train shop. He said there is a problem with that model's rear end (pinion bearings mainly) and he changed all of mine out. No problems since.

Doesn't matter to you now but that could have been that part of it.

ask him about the 95 Z71 K1500 Suburbans......
ocassionally mine makes a clunking sound, and it is not the u-joints....
almost sounds like my 93 K2500 when the posi trac locks in when stuck in mud.