PDA

View Full Version : Block Petcocks on a '92 205

Muttley
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm in the middle of winterizing my '92 Prostar 205 with the HO 351. I'm reading the manual and the checklist and both mention two petcocks. One on each side of the block. It seems mine only has one one the left side.

Is this normal? Did I miss it? Where's the other one?

BrianM
10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm in the middle of winterizing my '92 Prostar 205 with the HO 351. I'm reading the manual and the checklist and both mention two petcocks. One on each side of the block. It seems mine only has one one the left side.

Is this normal? Did I miss it? Where's the other one?
There should be one on either side. Later enginse have a knock sensor in the one on the drivers side but in '92 you whould have two petcocks. the one on the right is closer to the front of the block.

By the way nice looking boat. Is the black original gel? That is the first all black 205 I have ever seen. Also the first 205 I have seen with a Safe-T-Top.

east tx skier
10-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Here's the location.

Muttley
10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
By the way nice looking boat. Is the black original gel? That is the first all black 205 I have ever seen. Also the first 205 I have seen with a Safe-T-Top.

Thanks! I guess I was just looking at the rear of the block. It was getting dark.

Yes, the black is the original gel. The teal and the gray are right in the gelcoat as well. I think I got pretty lucky. I have yet to see another all black one in a 205 or even a 190, let alone in this condition of this vintage ...and you wouldn't believe what I got it for! ;)

I almost hate to take the Safe-T-top off, but I've got a Monster Tower to put on as a winter project.

BrianM
10-31-2007, 12:34 PM
I almost hate to take the Safe-T-top off, but I've got a Monster Tower to put on as a winter project.
Boooooo!!!!!

Muttley
10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
LOL! I know. But if my wife bangs her head on it one more time I might lose my spotter.

G-man
10-31-2007, 01:02 PM
great looking boat. Does the safe T top look like it is mounted a little back of the pylon?

Muttley
10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
great looking boat. Does the safe T top look like it is mounted a little back of the pylon?

Thanks. Yes, it's a bit back. Unfortunately because of my low garage I need to fold down the tower all the way, which the wing would not permit.

It's all good though. Being in the custom sign business, I can make up an aluminum plate to cover the holes. I plan to router the Mastercraft logo into it, ound the edges and powdercoat it black. It will look like it came with the boat and work as a step to keep people from stepping on the fiberglass.

Muttley
11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Okay, I figured it out. that spot where the petcock is supposed to be is where the hot water for my shower comes out.

Also, my tranny cooler (Powerslot) seems to be a little different. I have two oil lines coming off the tranny to a cooler around my fresh water intake. There are no water hoses to the tranny, yet, the winterization lists that there's a line to the bottom of the tranny.

Is there something else I should be looking for?

east tx skier
11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I didn't have a power slot, but that transmission cooler setup sounds like mine. I just pulled the two raw water hoses (one to intake; one to water pump and let whatever water was in the cooler and hoses drain. The two smaller hoses that go to the transmission are left alone.

TOO-TALL
11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the diagram.
I have a 03 x2 with the MCX.All I did to drain the exshaust risers is disconnect the hose that runs between the left and right risers.There is a fitting on the hose also there was a drian plug on the left side of the riser i removed but no water came out.

On my tranny there are two hoses(must be oil lines) that come out from the top of the tranny and run to a black round cylinder thing on the raw water intake line.Is this the trans cooler?
I did not remove the raw water intake lines but, I did run 5 gallons of antifreeze threw the motor.Do you think the antifreeze made it to the trans cooler??

TMCNo1
11-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the diagram.
I have a 03 x2 with the MCX.All I did to drain the exshaust risers is disconnect the hose that runs between the left and right risers.There is a fitting on the hose also there was a drian plug on the left side of the riser i removed but no water came out.

On my tranny there are two hoses(must be oil lines) that come out from the top of the tranny and run to a black round cylinder thing on the raw water intake line.Is this the trans cooler?
I did not remove the raw water intake lines but, I did run 5 gallons of antifreeze threw the motor.Do you think the antifreeze made it to the trans cooler??

If you had antifreeze coming out the exhaust, you got it in the transmission cooler, cause the antifreeze went thru it before it went into the engine.

H20skeefreek
11-05-2007, 07:05 AM
If you had antifreeze coming out the exhaust, you got it in the transmission cooler, cause the antifreeze went thru it before it went into the engine.
This is correct, however, please note that this does NOT mean that the antifreeze got everywhere into the block. If you didn't warm up the engine first, or remove the thermostat, the AF would not go into the block. If I'm gonna run antifreeze, I always just pull the thermostat.

TOO-TALL
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
This is correct, however, please note that this does NOT mean that the antifreeze got everywhere into the block. If you didn't warm up the engine first, or remove the thermostat, the AF would not go into the block. If I'm gonna run antifreeze, I always just pull the thermostat.

I drained the water in the block and the eshaust when the engine was cold then I started the engine and ran 5 gallons of AF threw it.I cracked the drain plugs and saw AF dribble out.I saw AF come out the exshaust flappers.

Do you think I have to worry about some water still being in there???