PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Screw Inserts

rasmithaz
03-14-2005, 01:38 PM
I tried to unscrew the dashboard to check out the wiring and the lower right screw insert was corroded to the screw so I had to cut the screw and install another insert with epoxy. Well...that didn't work. I have a hole where the insert goes that is too big. I know this is probably a common problem. Has anybody fixed this successfully?

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 01:46 PM
I tried to unscrew the dashboard to check out the wiring and the lower right screw insert was corroded to the screw so I had to cut the screw and install another insert with epoxy. Well...that didn't work. I have a hole where the insert goes that is too big. I know this is probably a common problem. Has anybody fixed this successfully?

Yeah. All too common on the older boats. The worst part is that the screws will go through the soft dash. Anchors lasted me about a year, but I'm looking for another solution at the moment as well. Let me know what you find out.

PeteS
03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Two problems on our older MC's you are discussing. Recently, at my local hardware store I found some thin, black, low-gloss nylon washers that sit well on the dash and prevent my screws from pulling through. They look OK. Just a thought on the soft dash issue.

BrianM
03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I removed the inserts and just used a little larger screw in the fiberglass. has worked well so far. As for the screws pulling through I used stainless pan head screws with the little stainless trim washers (the ones that sit up a little. They look really nice and seem to work well. I just didn't screw it down very tight. Barely snug is enough.

rasmithaz
03-14-2005, 02:19 PM
The screws in my dash are starting to pull through as well. Somebody has found a way to to address the insert fastening problem and the screw pull-through problem. We just have to find him and ask him to enlighten us with a good idea.

rem_pss308
03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I did some repairs on mine this winter. I had to replace all of the ones that hold the piece with the gauges on it.
I started by cutting a piece of Lexan to fit behind the dash.
I drilled holes through it, and then epoxyed some stainless nuts on the back side of it.
I finished by siliconing the lexan to the back side of the dash.
It took some time to get it all lined up, but now I can take the screws out, and put them back in, with no worries.
the stainless should not corrod as bad either.
Drawing is not too good, but maybe it will do.

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I've been using washers as well. I'll see if I can make a longer screw work for starters. Thanks for the tip.

Footin
03-14-2005, 03:32 PM
On the ends of my dash it is cracked in two places just inside the screw holes. The vinyl cover is ok but the plastic behind it is cracked as marked in red on the picture. I was thinking of removing the dash, and useing something like JB Weld to glue it. has anyone done something like this?

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 03:40 PM
If I remember correctly, people have had a lot of luck removing the whole thing and getting it sprayed with a bedliner of some sort. Reports were that it looked great.

rem_pss308
03-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I think the bedliner idea would work great for the cup holder on the engine cover as well.

Tex: When they used the bed liner for the dash, do you know if they took the vynle ( might not be spelled right ) off first?

On Mymastercraft.com they talk about rebuilding the instument panel out of aluminum. I think when mine gets that bad, I might try it. right now mine just has the corners that are broken, and I also use the washers

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 11:34 PM
I think the aluminum would get pretty hot in the summer. At least hotter than the bedliner. Just a thought. Plus, the glare might be a bit much. I like the look of the black vinyl or bedliner or whatever.

BriEOD
03-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I was the one talking about the bedliner on the dash. My friend did it to his dash and it turned out real well. I don't have a photo but it's tough and durable.

rem_pss308
03-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I was the one talking about the bedliner on the dash. My friend did it to his dash and it turned out real well. I don't have a photo but it's tough and durable.
Did they remove the vynle covering or do you know.