PDA

View Full Version : Lakefront property

hkyplyr31
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
My dad has decided to move and he wants to find some lakefront property to buy. He is looking in northern California and Oregon. He found some land available on Clear Lake, but I wanted to try and give him some options. Dose anyone have any suggestions? He is looking for 1 to 5 Acres and does not want to spend more than 500k. It would need to be waterfront property, and he wants to add a dock and boat house so it would need room for that as well. Thanks for any help that you can offer, and if you have heard anything good or bad about Clear Lake that would also be appreciated.

AirJunky
10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
You know that Clear lake is where the event Boardstock (http://www.boardstock.com/) is held these days, right? Just be sure your dad is aware of that little detail. He might not care for the chaos.
I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind the nudity, boarding, foiling, Tobey Keith or Kid Rock right near my back yard. :guitar:

Then again, their might be more than one lake called "Clear Lake" too.

M-Funf
10-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I go to Clearlake quite often, and one thing I can tell you for certain is that it ain't "clear"... :noface: Early in the season it's not bad, but late into the summer the water looks like this:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d736b3127ccebcd7bb8b723000000036100EcMW7Fm5bsZ

Finding an acre or more of lakefront property on Clearlake for under $500k will be nearly impossible. I've been looking for a vacation home at Clearlake for a couple of years...haven't found anything I like yet for under $1.5MM :(

X2M
10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
What side of the lake is your Dad looking at property? There are some pretty rundown areas around the lake. The lake itself is definitely not like it's name. I personally think it is one of the dirtiest lakes in Cali. They have a huge problem with algae in the warmer months and plants year round in the lake. :twocents:

Has your Dad looked in the California Delta area?

M-Funf
10-30-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree with X2 on this one...find a better lake/river/slough, whatever.

Since you're going north, check out Lake Almanor, too. Beautiful lake, nice homes, but again...$$$

Check out www.lakehouse.com while you're at it...

Good Luck!

Chas
10-30-2007, 07:34 PM
D'oh! My brother in law had a lot NEAR Clear Lake, CA. Sold it a few years ago for next to nothing. Now, it wasn't on the lake, no chance of a ramp or boat house, but I am thinking that a toy barn and small cabin a few blocks from the lake still would have been a nice option.

Live and learn.

sand2snow22
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
This is the cheapest near lakefront trailer park property on the west coast!! Although you can't build a house? Has to be movable, you can around your trailer though!! You share a dock and beach site. Share other amenities, too, but for places starting around $10k with cheap annual dues, it's a bargain!! We should all buy one!!

http://www.lmch.com/home.asp

rick s.
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
no way will you find one to five acres of lakefront in California for 500K. There aren't that many lakes that allow waterfront homes here...Lake Almanor, Clear Lake, Lake Tulloch, and Bass Lake are about all that I'm familiar with. There may be more in (really) northern California, however I'm not really familiar with that part of the state unless it's attached to I5.

Lake Tulloch is quite expensive, the least expensive waterfront house on a small lot that I've seen is about 800K. 1.2M seems about average there. There may be property available on Almanor, this is worth a look.

Given the high lake front places I'm becoming a Delta convert. Lots of homes available in Discovery Bay at pretty wide price ranges. You can nearly always find flat water in the Delta.