PDA

View Full Version : Voyager Insurance

ZenMC
10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
It's time to renew the insurance on my '97 205 LT1.

I went thru my local Farmer's agent last year when we bought the boat for the sake of expedience. He uses Foremost for boats.

I paid $439 for the year for $17000 coverage/$300,000 liability/$1000 medical pp. This has always seemed way too high to me for pretty marginal coverage, so this year I am shopping with the hope of doing better.

I got an online quote from a company in Texas called Voyager for $227 for basically the same coverage. Sounds pretty good to me if they are a good company.

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Thanks,

Z

cbryan70
10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Try Boat US to

oldriver
10-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Ski safe,17000,10k medical per person,500 deductable,250 deductable for skis ect.look up and call number get a quote mine as stated was 257.Think liability was 500k,maybe 300k cant remember,inboard specials,15500 boat 1500 trailer ski-safe.com.need 4 month lay-up,for boat use only,you can still trailer all you want in the lay-up just cant use in the water

Monte
10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I would check your state dept of ins. website for complaints against the company. I would also make sure they actually PAY their claims. Some companies will gladly accept premium, but when it comes time to pay a claim they have an uncanny way of finding exclusions.. I have no knowledge of that company pro or con, but when your premium is cut nearly in half. There HAS to be a difference somewhere..

east tx skier
10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
It's time to renew the insurance on my '97 205 LT1.

I went thru my local Farmer's agent last year when we bought the boat for the sake of expedience. He uses Foremost for boats.

I paid $439 for the year for $17000 coverage/$300,000 liability/$1000 medical pp. This has always seemed way too high to me for pretty marginal coverage, so this year I am shopping with the hope of doing better.

I got an online quote from a company in Texas called Voyager for $227 for basically the same coverage. Sounds pretty good to me if they are a good company.

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Thanks,

Z

I have been a happy Voyager customer for three years. They have been easy to deal with, but I have never made a claim, so take my review for what it's worth. Rates have been good and customer service has been responsive. My current policy is underwritten by Progressive.

ZenMC
10-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Tried Boat US too.

Got a quote of $266 from them, but also an alternative quote of $ 426based on "agreed value" which is apparently the face value of the policy.This is the same type of policy as my current one as opposed to a depreciated value policy for the lower quotes.

It seems the cheaper depreciated ("cash value") policy pays an average of three "book" values in the event of a total loss(probably low book) and basically pays nothing or very little for a damage claim . At least that is my take from a discussion with a Boat US rep. Doesn't make much sense to me because you still have normal deductibles on the lower priced policy.

I'm gonna keep digging.

east tx skier
10-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I should've mentioned that both my policies through Voyager have been agreed value.

Monte
10-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Tried Boat US too.

Got a quote of $266 from them, but also an alternative quote of $ 426based on "agreed value" which is apparently the face value of the policy.This is the same type of policy as my current one as opposed to a depreciated value policy for the lower quotes.

It seems the cheaper depreciated ("cash value") policy pays an average of three "book" values in the event of a total loss(probably low book) and basically pays nothing or very little for a damage claim . At least that is my take from a discussion with a Boat US rep. Doesn't make much sense to me because you still have normal deductibles on the lower priced policy.

I'm gonna keep digging.

The agreed value policy is worth the extra $$$.IMHO

The agreed value is basically a replacement cost policy, IE you both have agreed that in the event of a total loss the amout of coverage you have is enough to replace the boat with one of like kind and quality. Same with partial loss claims..
The other is actual cash value. That policy will follow the market but allow for claims to be paid on a depreciated value. The reason for the partial claims/ decreased settlement is ACV less depreciation.

The deductible is simply your assumption of the risk... No matter which policy you choose. Deductibles are a deterent for minor claims..

Hope that helps

Knox's_Better_half
10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
The agreed value policy is worth the extra $$$.IMHO

The agreed value is basically a replacement cost policy, IE you both have agreed that in the event of a total loss the amout of coverage you have is enough to replace the boat with one of like kind and quality. Same with partial loss claims..
The other is actual cash value. That policy will follow the market but allow for claims to be paid on a depreciated value. The reason for the partial claims/ decreased settlement is ACV less depreciation.

The deductible is simply your assumption of the risk... No matter which policy you choose. Deductibles are a deterent for minor claims..

Hope that helps

Spoken by a true Ins Geek!:D :cool:

ttu
10-30-2007, 04:32 PM

easy there!!!!!:rolleyes:

Monte
10-30-2007, 04:45 PM

I'll chalk that remark up to lack of alcohol for 9 1/2 months:rolleyes: :D

G-man
10-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I have had Voyager Insurance before and had no claims but my rates slowly crept up. I'm back with USA waterski supplier.