PDA

View Full Version : Shredded alternator belt

'02xrider
10-30-2007, 12:46 AM
I have an '02 x with 508 hrs on it. At 500 hrs, the alternater belt started to to shred. Yea, I know 500 hrs, should have changed it sooner. Anyway it was in great shape. The short of it is, the dealer put a new one on in conjunction with a 500 hr service and 3hrs later it started to shred. Any ideas on why this would happen. Thanks for your input. So far, the dealer has not provided me with an explanation other than we'll replace it for free. Great, but what is causing it.

uawaterskier
10-30-2007, 01:18 AM
My boat did the same thing @ 400 hours. We had a ton of people in the boat and thought maybe the extra strain had something to do with it. Mine hasn't had a problem since though. Sorry, no real help

uawaterskier
10-30-2007, 01:18 AM
My boat did the same thing @ 400 hours. We had a ton of people in the boat and thought maybe the extra strain had something to do with it. Mine hasn't had a problem since though. Sorry, no real help

'02xrider
10-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Anybody? Bueller??

M-Funf
10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I have an '02 x with 508 hrs on it. At 500 hrs, the alternater belt started to to shred. Yea, I know 500 hrs, should have changed it sooner. Anyway it was in great shape. The short of it is, the dealer put a new one on in conjunction with a 500 hr service and 3hrs later it started to shred. Any ideas on why this would happen. Thanks for your input. So far, the dealer has not provided me with an explanation other than we'll replace it for free. Great, but what is causing it.

Will having too much/too little tension on the belt cause this? Is it rubbing against something?

bigmac
10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Some problems with earlier RTP and MCX alternator brackets - the design increased the risk of the mounting bolts snapping. One would certainly like to think that checking those bolts would be part of what the dealer did, but clearly there is something abnormal about the alternator belt replacement going bad so soon. Are the bearings OK in the alternator?

'02xrider
10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I could not see anywherethe belt was rubbing. The pulleys all seemed to be smooth. I am with Bigmac and leaning toward misalignment. I just don't have the know how to check that. I hope the dealer figures it out. This is the time of year we get our best riding in.

The motor is the 330 LTR if that makes a difference

Hunterb
10-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I thought I read somewhere, probably here, that there was a problem with the serpentine belts on that motor and shredding them was very common. I think it had something to do with the alternator pulley. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Bruce

88 PS190
10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Do you have a straight edge that's very stiff? If so lay it across the pulleys and check for alignment.

Some of the bracket bolts were breaking, and the bolts then replaced with a higher grade of bolt, but I do not believe that led to the alternator belts going bad.

If the first belt lasted to 500 hrs, and the second shredded in 3 hours I will bet on the belt being installed improperly or being the wrong length. If a belt is put on and it isn't down in the ridges it will be getting eaten.

'02xrider
10-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks. When I get the boat back I will check the alignment myself if I am not given a satisfactory explanation by the dealer. I will also ask about the bracket bolts.

I love this place!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks. When I get the boat back I will check the alignment myself if I am not given a satisfactory explanation by the dealer. I will also ask about the bracket bolts.

I love this place!
Ask about the "NEW AND IMPROVED" bracket. Not just the bolts. The broken bolts identified the problem, but were NOT the fix. The new bracket is the fix.

MYMC
11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
If the engine has all "smooth" pullies and the water pump pulley doesn't have a "shoulder" then there is an "upgrade" (LOL) available.

All LTR's have belt, bolt and mount issues in regards to the serp belt...sooner or later.

'02xrider
11-01-2007, 09:45 PM
double post

'02xrider
11-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I got the call today and was told the recirc pulley had to be replaced due to misalignment (wouldn't you just realign it?). I will ask about the "new and improved" bracket and the "upgrade". Would those be warranty items or recall items or anything of the sort?

They will probably have it for another week while they chase an intermittent audible alarm. They found no error codes and said the oil sending unit checked out. I've had it sound 15 times in a day and then maybe once over 5 days. It makes no sense. The oil pressure, voltage and temp are always good when it sounds. Any info/input from those in the know would be appreciated.

I think all service/dealers should have to spend a year with MYMC and learn how to treat the people that pay the salaries.

Thanks MYMC!!!

swatguy
11-02-2007, 12:19 AM
I know I am a little late on the subject but just for reassurance the belt problem was common and with the new recalled part on most the problem ceased.

No help on the alarm Sorry

'02xrider
11-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Swatguy, when you say the recalled part are you refering to the mounting bracket?

MYMC
11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Swatguy, when you say the recalled part are you refering to the mounting bracket?
The recall didnt affect the year of your boat, but Indmar has been pretty good about "goodwill" on this issue. Make sure while the boat is there that the oil pump drive gear is checked and the trans vent (if this is a V-drive).

'02xrider
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I have passed the info on--turns out, they didn't check either of those items.

Thanks!

Hunterb
11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Can someone tell me what 'exactly' the upgrade is to prevent the chewing up of serpentine belts on this motor. I have a friend with one that has this problem and we can't figure out why. I heard it was the alternator pulley at one time but that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Does it require new pulleys or realignment of the pulleys to fix it? Is there a 'kit' available?

Thanks in advance if you know.

Bruce

'02xrider
11-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Just throwin' this out there MYMC--What's the charge for a mobile visit to California?!

'02xrider
11-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Does anybody know if the oil pump gear drive was a recall issue on the '02 LTR?

swatguy
11-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Not sure about your boat, but the oil pump gear drive is somethng I have to keep an eye on. Not sure if you have headed over to mymastercraft.com but they have a list of recalls and service bulletins there that could help you out more directly for your boat as things change from yr to yr. Hit the forum button and scroll down. Just input your hull id and away you go. Thanks again to MYMC

Here's the link to the pulley problem on the LTR
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=5&forum=10&category=2

The tranny vent
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=2&forum=10&category=2

and finally the oil pump drive gear
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=12&forum=10&category=2

'02xrider
11-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you Swatguy. I am amazed that a dealer/service department would have no idea about these items. They told me they would have to take things apart again to check the oil pump drive gear. It seems to me there would be a data base to show if that had been done. Come to think of it, they just did a 100 hr service and replaced the belt. I guess that should be my first clue as to their capabilities.