PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing

jbfootin
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Every year I go trout fishing with my dad and brother in law. We usually just use a small spinner with a worm, and we have a great time, but once in a while we see someone fly fishing and my dad usually comments the he would like to learn how to do that "someday".

Well I am looking at this as a great birthday or christmas gift idea! What I am looking for is a fly fishing school in the Wisconsin area. I have heard that some of the one day classes are pretty good and I do not want to go broke on this.

Has anyone here taking fly fishing lessons? Would you recomend 1 day or 2-3 days? Any you recomend? Was is worth the $?

Thanks for any help!

88 PS190
10-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Au Sable River, in Grayling MI, you might lose your shirt but its worth it.

88 PS190
10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Someone will be able to comment about the state of WI, don't go overboard on the expense of your first equipment, there are alot of good packages that are designed specifically for beginners and won't set you back 2 grand.

Any spot that has river guiding can probably set you up with a one day lesson starting with basic casting skills, then working on the actual water, and more advanced techniques.

Then be sure to practice what they teach you in the back yard with just fly line, remove your tippet and don't have a fly on and you can cast as much as you want. tippet will get worn and broken off in the yard anyway, so that's why I remove it, Particularly with tapered tippets if I pull it off the ultra light portions won't disappear on me.

JohnnyB
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Jay, you may want to call the fly fishing shop on the frontage road in De Pere. It is called Tight Lines. They are located just North of Scheuring Road on the West frontage road. A couple of my clients buy equipment from them and have good things to say about the shop.....sound like pretty knowledgable people.

jbfootin
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Jay, you may want to call the fly fishing shop on the frontage road in De Pere. It is called Tight Lines. They are located just North of Scheuring Road on the West frontage road. A couple of my clients buy equipment from them and have good things to say about the shop.....sound like pretty knowledgable people.
I contacted a guide that my boss used near sheboygan and he recomended tight lines also. I will have to give them a call.

It seams that lessons can range from $75 to $300. Before I go on the cheap, and get what I pay for, or go expensive and feel like I got screwed, I want to see if anyone has recomendations.

JohnnyB
10-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Some class info on their website....i think they do basic classes behind the shop. Here's the site....

http://www.tightlinesflyshop.com/

Next time I talk to my fly fishing clients, I'll ask them what they know.