PDA

View Full Version : purchased a pylon extender -

Chas
10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
OK - I have an older Stars and Stripes - and the general response was NOT to put a tower on it. My boat is far from a perfectly restored Brian-worthy example. The engine is fresh, and I am putting a new shaft into the boat. It's actually installed, but I haven't finished the alignment. Once I have the boat out on the water a few times, I'll figure out what prop I want and get a new one. I have three props which came with the boat, but I have read so many posts about how much difference a new prop makes - even how vast the improvement is after having a prop shop 'do' the existing prop, so I'm thinking that will money well spent.

New vinyl on both seats, new carpet, buff it out, and I think it will be good enough for me to enjoy for a few seasons, I just won't be taking it to any shows.

However, I took the advice of the board, and decided to try a pylon extender. I found one on craigslist nearby. The family couldn't have been nicer - they just put a tower on their 'BU - but the pylon extender looks like it saw very little use. It is very carefully packed in a great padded case, and they included a four-board rack, and all the attachment parts. I may go skiing with them next season!

I got it for $200, which I thought was a great deal by far.

So - any tips on using this thing? I will have to start by removing the cross piece on the existing pylon. I haven't even looked at it - how does one get that out? Or will it even come out? I suspect it will, as mine is slightly off center as it stands.

JoshBuzz
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
we had a pylon on our 93 maristar for a long while, and we loved it!! we had the big pole pylon, by wake designs (as shown below on a different boat), and it served us great!! We just recently switched to a tower, mainly for aesthetics and space saving, but the pylon was great!

Which pylon did you get?? And of course, as common sense, always anchor your pylon down to the front of the boat!! Ours came loose once, a few weeks before we put the tower on, and we didn't notice, and were riding behind it, and our pylon had alot of shake in the screws. it was an easy fix, but scary, and could have been a whole lot worse!!

attached is the pylon that we got!! Not sure if it's common for extenders to have the ski attachment on them, but it's helpful to have the ski pylon attachment on the extender so we don't have to remove it, everytime we want to ski!!

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6549/bigpoleyh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Chas
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Which pylon did you get?? And of course, as common sense, always anchor your pylon down to the front of the boat!!

Not sure if it's common for extenders to have the ski attachment on them, but it's helpful to have the ski pylon attachment on the extender so we don't have to remove it, everytime we want to ski!!

It is a Skylon, and it does have the ski attachment.

Good tip - I'll be sure to check the front anchor each time. I am nervous about how much extra force this long thing can put on the pylon as it is!

I don't know the brand of board rack, but it may also be Skylon - if they make one.

river_ryder
10-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Skylon, $50, slip on, slip off. We might get a tower this spring though.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/TJ755/DSC01622.jpg

O2BESOHUGE
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Mine Is A Fly High And I Love It. You Got A Deal. I Paid $200 For Mine And Just Got The Pylon Itself. No Racks

O2

JoshBuzz
10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I've heard good things about the skylon extenders, and the racks help alot!! Another tip, if your racks move around the pole like ours do, be sure to check the racks before you start pulling a rider. Our racks mount to the top of the pole, and tend to swivel 360 degrees around the pole, sometimes when we get ready to tighten up the slack in the line, we find that the rope gets stuck around the racks, or underneath the boards!!

Check your pylon and make sure it's bolted in tight before putting the extender on for the first time, or after a few uses, and you should be fine!!

As long as you've got the line anchored to the front, the weight distribution should take care of any pressure issues you have on the pylon!!

have fun, and enjoy the extra height!! What kind of riders are you pulling??

tuffenuff
10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
My Skylon pole and Skylon board holders work for me. I used the lifting eye when I first got the boat, but others have told me that the strap is kinder and less stress on the boat. I have threaded a locking set screw into the original pylon to keep it from rotating while playing, thus eliminating the twisted rope issue. Depending on your priorities behind the boat (skiing or boarding), I took JIM@BAWS advise and went with the 14x18 4 blade with my powerslot, and luuvvv it for boarding. Planes out quicker and actually giving me more RPM @ the top end. Give Jim a shout out and he can direct you, or hook you up with what you really need. Good Luck and Happy Boating.

tuffenuff
10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
My Skylon pole and Skylon board holders work for me . I used the lifting eye when I first got the boat, but others have told me that the strap is kinder and less stress on the boat. I have threaded a locking set screw into the original pylon to keep it from rotating while playing, thus eliminating the twisted rope issue. Depending on your priorities behind the boat (skiing or boarding), I took JIM@BAWS advise and went with the 14x18 4 blade with my powerslot, and luuvvv it for boarding. Planes out quicker and actually giving me more RPM @ the top end. Give Jim a shout out and he can direct you, or hook you up with what you really need. Good Luck and Happy Boating.

tuffenuff
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Sorry, don't know how I double posted and was un-successful in deleting the dup..........

cbryan70
10-29-2007, 10:15 PM
man o2be clean your boat!! nice scum line!

O2BESOHUGE
10-30-2007, 11:01 AM
man o2be clean your boat!! nice scum line!

FUNNY!:D I DID GET THE BOTTOM CLEAN FINALLY. LOOKS LIKE NEW NOW. I WAS AMAZED. THE ON/OFF HULL CLEANER FROM WEST MARINE IS LIKE MAGIC

Chas
10-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input/tips.

As my back heals, I hope to be on the water in the off season.

lanier92prostar
10-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Mine is a fly high with board racks. I use a rope recoil tube to keep the rope off the board racks.