PDA

View Full Version : Grilled pizza

Leroy
03-14-2005, 08:02 AM
I read this in Cabin Life a year ago or so. The family says its as good as the best pizza we had in Europe. I'm still amazed it works, but here goes.

Make your pizza dough from any recipe. Pretty easy.
Roll out the dough, thinner is better, and use plenty of flour.
Put on well floured wood board or something you can use to slide it on the grill.
Each person gets to add sauce, cheese (get a big bag of mozzarellaand whatever your favorite fixings are. Not too much stuff on top, thicker doesn't work as well.

Get the grill up to around 400 degrees. Clean and apply some spray oil on the grate.

Spatula helps, tilt board and slide the pizza on the grill. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Within a minute or two you can lift and check the bottom to make sure it doesn't burn. I made 8 last night and not a bite was left!

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Sounds yummy! :toast:

rem_p
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
sounds good...im guessing you cook on a gas grill? maybe i can get a charcoal burner to do the job too :banana:

MarkP
03-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Hey, Betty Crocker, I mean Leroy, Sounds great. I’m going to have to try it,:toast: .

Not to toot my own horn or anything, well ok strike that last.:o We went out for Pizza last night to one of our favorite pizza shops and the entire family agreed that my PA pie was a lot better. I think on the grill, I may be able to take it to a whole new level. :banana:

Tip: cornmeal sprinkled on the board will allow the pie to slide off with ease

Leroy
03-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes, it's gas, but want to try the Webber with charcoal as this would be really good on a campout.

Leroy
03-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Chef Mark; I knew you would have something to add! We tried in the oven and while still better than any pizza we have had the grill does something extra to the dough. Costco has 5lb bags of cheeze. I'm still amazed it works and expected to be cleaning my grill after the first one, but it works everytime.

MarkP
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I cant wait to try the grill.. I’m sure it offers the “old world” flavor that’s often missing.:toast: I do get a little of that flavor from the stone in the bottom of my oven (especially as its been in the oven for several years).

That bag of mozzarella from Costco is a great thing to have in the refrigerator. Costco also has the other cheese that I use on the pizza. They have a great aged Provolone, that we use about 50/50 with the mozzarella. Works out well. The age of it gives it a unique flavor but not quite as bold as the, “Parmigiano Reggiano”, that we occasionally use.

Lastly, may I suggest a bold domestic red to go with it:friday:

jimmer2880
03-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I've had it before... done a couple frozen ones also. Very good. Like Leroy says - there's something that the grill adds.

MarkP
03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Lot of food talk on this site this morning. Damn, I didn’t have breakfast.

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
This is as close to brick oven pizza as you can come without having a brick oven.....

ceramic grill with a kiln shelf, roasting a pizza at 650

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=306&stc=1

dmac
03-14-2005, 12:32 PM
This is as close to brick oven pizza as you can come without having a brick oven.....

ceramic grill with a kiln shelf, roasting a pizza at 650

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=306&stc=1
I have an egg also and I am going to add the pizza shelf to it this year. How do you get it to 650?

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
I have an egg also and I am going to add the pizza shelf to it this year. How do you get it to 650?

DMAC, do you have one of the new Big Green Eggs or one of older clay ones?

If you have the older clay one, don't take it over 350 or you will destroy it. If it's one of the ceramic ones, just open the bottom dampner all the way and take off the daisy wheel and give it a few minutes.

A few things to remember when you're making nuclear steaks, when you get the Egg going, I'm talking flames shooting two feet out the top like an J-79 in full A/B be very cautious when you open the lid, open and close it slightly a few times to let some fresh air in. If you just crank it open you'll get a huge back draft and will most likely loose all the hair on your arms and or eye brows if you're standing too close.

BTDTGTS

Just remember to fill the firebox full of good lump, at least to the fire ring, and be sure the holes your bottom grate aren't plug up. You want plenty of air moving through it.

I've had the themoter on mine rolled over past 750 and back up to 400.

Also if you use it like this expect a couple of things beside the flash back.

1. your fire box, and fire ring will crack over time
2. be very careful with your felt seal, if you leave the Egg closed too long at these temps it will fuse the seal together and it's next to impossible to get it to come apart again without removing one part of the seal.

If you want some more advice on cooking pizza let me know, it's my favorite thing to do on the Egg

mitch
03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
That pizza sounds good. Cabin Life is great mag!!

MasterMason
03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
OK... where is the link to the "egg"? I don't think I have ever seen a bbq like that before. I just use the good ole webber.

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 07:27 PM
OK... where is the link to the "egg"? I don't think I have ever seen a bbq like that before. I just use the good ole webber.

www.biggreenegg.com

MasterMason
03-14-2005, 07:27 PM
www.biggreenegg.com

Thank you kind sir. I will check it out now

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Here's a video some dude put together displaying the flashback.

It's a pretty eye opening experience even when you expect it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.wmv

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Thank you kind sir. I will check it out now

You're welcome! I think there is also a company called Kamado out in Kali fornia.

rem_p
03-14-2005, 07:56 PM
how much does one of those eggs go for? i can't find a price on the website

MasterMason
03-14-2005, 07:59 PM
how much does one of those eggs go for? i can't find a price on the website

I called the local distributor. They want $599 :eek3:

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 08:32 PM
I called the local distributor. They want $599 :eek3:

If it's a Large, with a nest, daisey or combo top, plate setter, pizza stone, and an ash tool $599 would be a OK deal. They come from Atlanta so the farther away you are from GA the more expensive it gets....

I got mine in 1997 on a TDY to Las Vegas, best $450 I ever spent.
Another thing to consider, over the life of the Egg you'll use less Charcoal (lump vs. Kingsford) so it will pay for itself eventually.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MasterMason
03-14-2005, 08:38 PM
If it's a Large, with a nest, daisey or combo top, plate setter, pizza stone, and an ash tool $599 would be a OK deal. They come from Atlanta so the farther away you are from GA the more expensive it gets....

Another thing to consider, over the life of the Egg you'll use less Charcoal (lump vs. Kingsford) so it will pay for itself eventually.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am going to look at it. I spent $500 on my gas webber. I am not against spending more money for a superior product. I have found you usually get what you pay for.

Speaking of Vegas, the count down is now at 6 days till I'll be there. :woohoo:

Farmer Ted
03-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I am going to look at it. I spent $500 on my gas webber. I am not against spending more money for a superior product. I have found you usually get what you pay for.

Speaking of Vegas, the count down is now at 6 days till I'll be there. :woohoo:

It would definately compliment your gas grill, very good steaks and if you like BBQ real honest to goodness cook a pork shoulder at 190 for 20 hours BBQ without out all the hassles that go along with a water smoker the BGE is for you.

Kind of like comparing a Mastercrfaft and a Bayliner, nothing really to compare.

bradamerry
03-14-2005, 08:45 PM
It would definately compliment your gas grill, very good steaks and if you like BBQ real honest to goodness cook a pork shoulder at 190 for 20 hours BBQ without out all the hassles that go along with a water smoker the BGE is for you.

Kind of like comparing a Mastercrfaft and a Bayliner, nothing really to compare.
Hey, I do pretty well with the Brinkman!!!! :wavey:

MasterMason
03-17-2005, 01:43 AM

Well, I have been doing further research. Best price I have found it 741 delivered for a large egg with nest, side shelves, and temp gauge. The local place was $599 for just the egg, and that doesn't include tax. However they have a price match so I might see what kind of deal they can give me.

Leroy
03-17-2005, 06:55 AM
I have an Ellipse by Harpco and it was around 1k in 2000. It is hooked to the house gas. Been very happy with it. The Eggs look great.

6ballsisall
05-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Leroy

we tried this the other night. The pizza was great and enjoyed the open fired crust flavor. Plus it was fun to make!! Thanks for sharing!

Leroy
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Jrandol; Glad you enjoyed, I made two today for the kids lunch from frozen crusts I had made earlier (their special request). Any tips on doing this appreciated! MarkP's suggestion to use cornmeal for the board to slide the pizza on the grill really works well.