PDA

View Full Version : yellow stains on hull

ems
10-29-2007, 12:40 AM
I tore my bicep on my last run waterskiing in September. The worst news is that I had to let the boat sit while recovering from surgery for 2-3 weeks. '94 ProStar in fairly pristine shape, and this is the first year I've let anything slip maintenance wise.

Anyway, after cleaning, waxing and rewaxing the hull I have a residual yellow stain along the waterline, transom, and in various areas around the bottom. Used FSR and rewaxed (McGuires cleaner wax) it again with no improvement.

Any other suggestions???????

Thanks,

bigmac
10-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Acid wash.

Slimy Grimy is my favorite because it's milder and safer, but the standard, if you don't mind rubber gloves and safety glasses, is MaryKate's On-Off. You'll have to re-wax afterward.

ems
10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I've used MaryKate's On-Off for years, its worked ok but the fumes are horrible, and am trying to become more environmentally minded and health conscious. FSR was supposed to be better for removing stains and also has a mile acid.

Is Slimy Grimy also acid-based? I'm not familiar with that one.

Are there any other more effective cleaner waxes?

Thanks again,

alletric
10-29-2007, 11:07 PM
All due respect, but it is just one time a year. I don't think that it will put Al Gore in an uproar.

ems
10-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Good point. Don't care so much for Al Gore... am more concerned about my own health.... have you worked with that stuff before, its nasty?

CRAIGTHEMAN
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
use this stuff called ZING hull cleaner...i would give you my boat if it didn;t work for u...i used this stuff last summer and WOW its amazing but you have to use gloves because there is hydrocloric acid in it and it is some potent stuff..the rag and the hull somke when you use it it is that good...and the best part was i ran it over my decals and didn;t phaze them give it a try and let me know

alletric
10-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes I have. I work in cooling enviroments that use amonia that is leaking all around as well. With the right equipment you will be fine. Throw on an old long sleeve shirt, respirator mask and rubber gloves and you will be fine. If it were every day that would be different but once a fall is not too much exposure. If you want to get the tough stains off there is no substitute for the good stuff.

ems
10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
use this stuff called ZING hull cleaner...i would give you my boat if it didn;t work for u...i used this stuff last summer and WOW its amazing but you have to use gloves because there is hydrocloric acid in it and it is some potent stuff..the rag and the hull somke when you use it it is that good...and the best part was i ran it over my decals and didn;t phaze them give it a try and let me know
Have never heard of that ... where do you get it? Does West Marine sell it?
Thanks,

Ski Bum
10-30-2007, 12:01 AM
3 M rubbing compound medium cut and a buffer no fumes. The gel coat is thick so dont worry just dont over due the cornors and edges. It will come out like a brand new boat and just throw on some wax.

bigmac
10-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Have never heard of that ... where do you get it? Does West Marine sell it?
Thanks,Zing is just another acid wash, like On-Off or SnoBowl toilet cleaner (seriously). No advantage of one over the other. I've used both. They work well at cleaning the hull, just kind of unpleasant to use...stronger than necessary. My dealer recommended Slimy Grimy and he sells it as well as On-Off. Slimy Grimy is less unpleasant than those other two and I found that it works just as well.

Abrasives like rubbing or polishing compound would be good if you had a lot of oxidation contributing to the yellowing, but if not, I'd stay away. Far more labor than necessary, and won't do a better job.

ems
10-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Weathere is starting to get cold here in Mass, and I am somewhat limited working with just one arm (for the time being). Gave it my best shot one last time with FSR and another coat of wax, before putting it under cover for the winter. Worked on the bottom, but not so well on the transom or sides by the waterline.... could that be from oxidation?

Anyway, I will be fully recovered by spring and ready to go at it with acid and/or compound. Hopefully there wont be any have in storing it as, cause there is nothing else I can do at this time.

Even though I have cleaned and waxed it 2-3 times/year, it is 13 years old and doesn't have the same brilliance to its shine that it used to its shine and the sun exposed blue has faded a bit. So I guess I'm going to look into a good compound and color restorer product.

TX.X-30 fan
10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
All due respect, but it is just one time a year. I don't think that it will put Al Gore in an uproar.

:noface: :woohoo: :headbang: :toast:

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2007, 12:15 AM
I use the "Works" stuff you can get anywhere. Spray it on and wait a few seconds and rinse. White as new! Who says chemicals are not a part of the environment? Why do you think we have all of those beautiful sunsets? Great weather in December? Give me a break! You go back to your cold gray sunsets and I will take my GW!;)

PS. Wax her up right after you clean her!:D

AirJunky
10-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Starbrite Hull Cleaner. Spray it on, scrub anything that might be stubborn, and hose it off. Available at any boating slupply store.
It stinks & I wear rubber gloves to do it. But it doesn't kill the lawn so it can't be too bad.

TX.X-30 fan
10-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Give me a break! You go back to your cold gray sunsets and I will take my GW!;)

PS. Wax her up right after you clean her!:D

GLOBAL WARMING RULES!!!!!!! :wavey: :popcorn:

jss101
10-31-2007, 10:54 AM
This stuff
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff228/waterskiman/21221_M1.jpg

will take it right off. Works perfectly and it's easy

bigmac
10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
All of these hull cleaners like Zing, On-Off, Slimy Grimy, Starbrite, etc are variations on a theme...use of oxalic/muriatic (or similar) acid in varying concentrations as a means of getting rid of organic residue adhering to the gel coat, and taking advantage of gel coat's general imperviousness to that chemical. It's very unlikely that one will be better than another in the end result.

O2BESOHUGE
10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
West Marine Easy On/off Hull Cleaner

Is A Miracle Worker! Try It! It Worked Wonders On My Hull

O2

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
My yellow stains disappeared, when I quit peeing over the side!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdthums.gif

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Who are you kidding? You mean on the gunnels and on your last two fingers right?:D My yellow stains disappeared, when I quit peeing over the side!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdthums.gif

jayderwin1
11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
just buff with a high speed buffer it will take the stains right off then wax it you should be good for another year i do it every year in the spring the boat with look great all summer long

ems
11-04-2007, 10:29 PM
a buffer cannot get into the areas that I need to reach ... all the crevices in and around the transom.
I'll stop my AlGore-like whining and use the acid in the spring. My arm will be healed and I'll wear a respirator.

Does anyone else notice the acid eating away their galvy trailor??? Any suggestions to avoid that?

alletric
11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I did some cleaning today with Starbrite instant hull cleaner. I poured it onto a rag and wiped down the transom below the teak. It make it look like new. I then wipe it off with a wet rag. I wouldn't think it would get on your trailer.

Romanod
11-13-2007, 02:51 AM
I used WD 40 to hide the stains. I now try to cover the trailer with a plastic cover before hand. I am going to try coating with WD40 before cleaning to see if this will stop the staining.