PDA

View Full Version : Help with winterizing

shunra
10-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I am having trouble getting my engine to suck up the antifreeze. Not sure if i am doing it right. The guy at the dealership said to attach a hose to the "fake-a-lake" and run that hose to a bucket of antifreeze, then start the engine. I was surprised when he told me this but I tried it and it doesn't want to suck anything up. I let it run as long as I dared.

It works well with the "fake a lake" when I have it hooked up to the tap, but obviously there is pressure there. For a test I got it running off the tap with two garden hoses linked together. Then I submersed the link where one garden hose attaches to the other in a bucket of water. The whole time I am doing this the motor is running off the "fake-a-lake" connected to the tap. Then I undid the link between the two garden hoses while keeping the link submersed in the bucket, thinking the boat would continue to suck up water from the bucket instead of the tap, but it did not.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with my boat?

east tx skier
10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
You don't need fake a lake for the bucket method. Just pull the hose of the thru-hull fitting on the boat and stick it in the bucket. Alternatively, you can connect a 1.25" inner diameter clear flexible pvc hose to whatever attachment point your thru-hull hose hits first (I had to do this as my thru-hull fitting was too tight to remove on my old boat. Just stick it in the bucket of water or antifreeze or whatever and let her rip.

dsoby
10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
There are several threads here about how to put anti-freeze into your engine. I would think that with the way you are attempting, you don't have a good seal where the fake-a-lake is against your hull. Most folks (myself included) just drain their engines. Some disconnect the raw water hose at the inside hull fitting and place it in a bucket of antifreeze. If you really want to continue with your method, I would suggest that you use a longer hose and place it in a bucket placed higher than the engine. You'll have to seal the hull at your fake-a-lake and prime the hose before starting your engine.

88 PS190
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
If you use the fake a lake version make sure you have the pump primed first or it won't make suction out of the bucket and the pump will be running dry.

Basically fill the section from the cooler to the intake pump with fluid and it'll go.

I remove the hose from the through hull to do this.

shunra
10-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for all the fast replys. It worked. Pulled the intake hose off the through hull fitting and it worked immediatly.

I first warmed the engine up with fake a lake. Drained the manafolds, pulled the drain plug on each side of the engine block(one had the sending unit for the heat gauge). Reattached the manafolds, put the drian plugs back in. Fired the engine back up with the water intake in a bucket with ~5 gallons of antifreeze. I sprayed fogging oil in the throttle body while the engine pumped the 5 gallons. When the bucket was near empty I turned off the engine.

Anything else I should do?

bigmac
10-29-2007, 12:41 AM
I figured that if I was going to pull the through-hull hose off, I'd just skip the Fake-a-Lake altogether and put the water directly into the intake line from a garden hose. I made a fitting so I could hook it up to a garden hose. The fitting screws into a 4-foot length of non-collapsing Spa Tubing with garden hose fittings on it. I hooked up the hose, started the water, started the engine. When it was up to temp I disconnected the spa tubing and put it in a 5 gallon bucket of RV antifreeze. With a little fortuitous timing, I killed the engine with the fogging oil just as the bucket was emptied of antifreeze.

The fitting cost about $5 in parts from the hardware store.

http://mccollister.info/fitting.jpg