PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Series question????

CarlosCabanas
10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Does anybody know if the salt water series has raw water running through the manifolds, if the manifolds are stainless, or if they are part of the closed circuit cooling??

Carlos

TMCNo1
10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Does anybody know if the salt water series has raw water running through the manifolds, if the manifolds are stainless, or if they are part of the closed circuit cooling??

Carlos

Not sure of the manifold material, most often steel, but they are not part of the closed system. A refrigerator magnet will assist you in finding out if it's steel (will stick), Stainless (depending on the grade of Stainless), and aluminum (will not stick).
The hot water leaving the heat exchanger is dumped from the heat exchanger into the exhaust manifolds to cool them and act as part of the muffling system. Just the same as with the open cooling system that dumps water from the thermostat housing manifold after it has run throughout the engine, where it has picked up heat, then it is dumped into the exhaust manifolds.
Because the exhaust manifolds have raw water in them is the reason they have to be drained as part of the winterization process, along with the raw water pump, hoses, transmission cooler that runs to and from the heat exchanger.

bullit4888
10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I have a 6.0L Crusader in saltwater X15 (don't know if you can get crusader's anymore) and there is no raw water running through the manifolds. It is a completely closed cooled system. I'm pretty sure my exhaust manifolds are cast iron (not sure about indmar) but the entire engine has a special paint on it.

Jim@BAWS
10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.indmar.com/News/saltWater.html

http://www.indmar.com/ProductLine/Indmar/6.0L-SS/index.html

THIS THREAD NEEDS SERIOUS CORRECTING.

MasterCraft did use Cursader 2005-2006 for the saltwater series application. In 2007 you had a choice between Crusader and Indmar.
In 2008 it is all INDMAR.

Both Marinzation companies use 100 % closed cooling. Even the exhaust manifolds are cooled by antifreeze. This allows FOR NO SALT WATER to go through the manifolds. There is an oversized heat exchange unit that takes the heat out of the water. Like a radiator.

The OLDER type systems used to run a 1/2 closed loop system that DID NOT include the manifolds. It was an OLD workaround that kept the block in good working order but not the manifolds. After about 300-500 hours depending on maintance a owner would need to replace the manifolds.

Hope this helps and sheds the CORRECT info for you to utilize. Please read the above link from Indmar.

Crusader uses CAST IRON. Indmar uses aluminum.

Jim@BAWS

SDAhockey21
10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
However, there is still RAW water running through the exhaust elbows? Correct?

SDAhockey21
10-28-2007, 08:42 PM
And of course the heat exchanger, which leads me to a ?... How long will the heat exchanger last? And what is it made of?

Jim@BAWS
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
However, there is still RAW water running through the exhaust elbows? Correct?

NO...There are no ELBOWS to speak of. One SOLID piece that is cooled by COOLANT.

Quote "Full freshwater cooling is standard. Because it is a totally closed system, including exhaust manifolds, saltwater never enters the engine system. Coolant tanks use a propylene glycol/water mix and are easily accessible for filling and maintenance.

Marinized components are all E-Coated for optimum protection against corrosion. Unlike industry standard paint, E-Coat is an advanced process that completely covers both exterior and internal surfaces, creating a permanent chemical bond between metal and paint. It will not peel or crack.

Knowledgeable saltwater boaters will appreciate Indmar's detailed touches, such as using stainless steel for all external engine fasteners; high-mounted starters and alternators with remote oil filters; bronze, naval-grade crankshaft-driven water pumps.

The new 5.7L HO SS is now available to OEM builders in standard, semi-custom and private-label configurations.

It is protected by Indmar's exclusive 3-year limited warranty, which includes both fuel and electrical systems."

CarlosCabanas
10-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the answers and clarifications!! So can anybody answer the question asked above..... How long will the heat exchanger last??

Carlos

TMCNo1
10-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Carlos

Sorry for the incomplete information I gave you, but you do not have a year and model boat posted in your profile and you did not state in your post that necessary info either, other than "saltwater series" which some people confuse with closed cooling systems of today and years past. I gave you what I knew, based on what you asked with the info you provided. I apoligize of I upset anyone, it will never happen again, thanks.

1boarder
10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Where does the salt water go after it goes through the heat exchanger? Does it use the pump right in front of the belt to circulate salt water?

Jim@BAWS
10-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Please read the ABOVE links to INDMAR. The heat exchange unit should last as least as long as the motor does. It is coated to prevent any kind of degradation.

Salt water is pulled into the heat exchange unit via an impeller.

It is exhausted out through the very tail end of the exhaust manifolds
through a stainless steel outer fitting. SEE THE PHOTO in the link.

The water is ONLY used to take the heat out of the exchange unit. Not to cool the motor. All saltwater series MC's are equipped with freshwater flush to flush out all saltwater out of the heat exhange unit.

Hope this helps

Jim@BAWS

CarlosCabanas
10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks Again

I just went to the links.... I had looked for that information on the mastercraft home page under salt water series....:confused: :rolleyes:

Carlos