PDA

View Full Version : CrawFish Festival

rem_p
03-13-2005, 10:29 PM
guys i just got back from Faunsdale Alabama....friends band played for a sorority party...only an hour away from Tuscaloosa....anyway this place if famous for the CrawFish Festival....i just had to tell yall if you love crawfish or are gonna be in the area April 15-16 you have got to come check it out...they had 350lbs cooked last nite.....the guy said they would cook anywhere from 10-20,000lbs in april....good stuff man.

Hoosier Bob
03-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Do those things taste as good as they look? I can find them by the bushel but have never eaten them. Send recipe! Maybe some "Ole Bay" like you do Blue Crabs! Nothing tastes better than some Chesapeake Bay Jimmy's!!!!guys i just got back from Faunsdale Alabama....friends band played for a sorority party...only an hour away from Tuscaloosa....anyway this place if famous for the CrawFish Festival....i just had to tell yall if you love crawfish or are gonna be in the area April 15-16 you have got to come check it out...they had 350lbs cooked last nite.....the guy said they would cook anywhere from 10-20,000lbs in april....good stuff man.

rem_p
03-13-2005, 10:37 PM
man them things are pure red pepper....cajun food man....suck the head and eat the tail....you cook them with corn on the cob, potato's, onions and the seasoning...let that cook good for a while, then broil the fish for a few minutes....good eatin....little lobsters :toast:

ski_king
03-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I first had the a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure, they looked more like bait to me. But they were good! tasted like mini lobster or crab.

I had a platter with them cooked about 6 different ways. Gooood! :dance:

Hoosier Bob
03-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Can they be frozen and shipped? Can you get them in North Florida? Why have I not tried this frickawhateverrrrrrr? Spicey? That means beer! HUMMMMMM BEEEEEEEEEEERR. :smile:

east tx skier
03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
You've got to boil them live or they're no good. So if they're frozen, they'd have to be cooked first. Just not the same. Good eating. They have mixes for the boil pot (mostly cayanne pepper (add corn on the cob and red potatos). Good stuff.

Hoosier Bob
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Now I'm really hungry! Too bad White Castle doesn't have'm! I will try them if I can find them in Destin, FL. I may be able to drive a ways West to locate someone who knows what they are doing. Must only be a "Cajun" thang though. I don't know of any Hoosiers who eat them and they are all over.

ski_king
03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Had mine at a place in Houston called Pappadeaux.

east tx skier
03-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Man, I love Pappadeaux. I went to high school with one of the Pappas kids. They threw great parties with superb food. Pappadeaux is my favorite of their restaurants. Good halibut.

rem_p
03-13-2005, 11:41 PM
bob, i dont know about the freezing...the ones we had came out of local ponds, and Louisiana.....im sure somebody in the Florida panhandle can cook them up....we catch them out of local creeks sometimes and cook them up but it aint nothin like havin it done by the real cajuns....the cook even gave us a cooler full of them for us to eat last nite after the show....we had 6 or 7 folks up at 4 30 this mornin still eatin and drinkin beer.....that cooler didnt even last half hour man....gah i can feel my mouth tingleing now :D

bradamerry
03-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Crawfish, Hmmmmmmmmmmm, you guys just gave the Wildman an idea ;) !!!! Looks like there might be some good eating around here, soon!!!!!

Leroy
03-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I know trout really like them! They are really good, just like baby lobsters.

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 10:22 AM
I know trout really like them! They are really good, just like baby lobsters. :confused: You're telling me they actually taste like lobster????? I might have to try em them...............not sure I could do the head sucking thing........I'll leave that to my next Girlfriend :banana:

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 11:06 AM
The head sucking thing doesn't happen at my house. Some people like it, but that yellow gunk makes me sick enough looking at it without the thought of ingesting it. But don't let me stop you, suck away.

BrianM
03-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Crawfish are a Louisiana delecacy (sp?). I am a transplant from out west. I had had crawfish before but in California they call them Crawdads and just steam them or boil them in slightly seasoned water, serve them 6 on a plate and charge you $10 for it.

Down here you order by the pound. I can usually eat about 5 lbs at a time. Boiled in lots of salt, cayanne, lemon, various other seasonings with corn on the cob and red potatos. During high season (now through about June) they cost about $1.50 a pound.

One thing those of us in South Louisiana know how to do is cook and eat. Crawfish done right are better than lobster and more fun. Boil a hundred pounds or so, buy a lot of beer invite about 25 of your closest friend and call it a day.:toast:

Mag, I didn't suck head at first either but the head juice is the best part.:eek: Guess its an aquired taste.............probably going to take a little ribbing for that sentence:uglyhamme

MarkP
03-14-2005, 11:15 AM
You guys are killin me..

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I'd say the better than lobster part has a bit to do with the fact that it's not so much trouble to eat them as it is to crack lobster (of course some of you East Coast guys would probably beg to differ). I'm definitely wanting some crawdaddies at the moment.

BrianM
03-14-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm definitely wanting some crawdaddies at the moment.

Man me too. Almost got some last night. Maybe this weekend.

rem_p
03-14-2005, 02:15 PM
not sure I could do the head sucking thing........I'll leave that to my next Girlfriend :banana:

yea mag thats the way its suppose to go down....girls suckin heads and guys eatin tails... :D

mgurley
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I have been to the Faunsdale Crawfish festival many times it is a good time. I went to college at The University of West Alabama which is about 30-45 minutes from Faunsdale. It is a pretty big event for such a tiny town. Lots of beer and crawfish and plenty of eye candy. I haven't been since I graduated good to hear it is still going strong.

dmac
03-14-2005, 04:08 PM
You guys are killin me..
You may be laughing but what these guys are saying is dead on. They really do suck the heads. For me there simply is not enough beer for me to do that. Kind of my own little Fear Factor thing (Cool - it's on tonite).

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 05:08 PM
yea mag thats the way its suppose to go down....girls suckin heads and guys eatin tails... :D See.............I'm learnin' :D