PDA

View Full Version : Global Positioning System / Limousine questions

milkmania
10-28-2007, 01:22 AM
(can't search 3 letter words like GPS for previous threads)

Going Monday for a sit-down with a local limousine guy.
He's offered me a good price, and all his contacts and bookings.

Our area is very rural, but the limo runs into bigger cities...
It seems to me a GPS would be a vital tool for a limo service.

any recommendations?
I know that Garmin is the leader
and I do have a laptop with Microsoft Streets & Trips 07 installed, just no GPS antenna yet.

Seeing poor reviews comparing Garmin vs. Microsoft.... (Garmin is leading in reviews)

edit:
found the thread I was looking for:rolleyes:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11281&highlight=microsoft+streets+trips

milkmania
10-28-2007, 01:39 AM
limo in question

Leroy
10-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Interesting business Milk. I'm sure you will cover but I would be interested in the profit of that business.

I would think any of the GPS systems would be good enough.

Good luck!

whitedog
10-28-2007, 02:13 AM
Milk, we use GPS daily at work, ag input related,. Garmin is the best value form the $. They make a reciever that is compatable with any lap top. cost around $250.00 and is WAAS enabled (diferential correction). Just pick your mapping program and they interface pretty well. The other route is TomTom or similar. We also have demoed some GPS tracking applications, PM me for more info.

milkmania
10-28-2007, 02:13 AM
Interesting business Milk. I'm sure you will cover but I would be interested in the profit of that business.

I would think any of the GPS systems would be good enough.

Good luck!
you've got a pm;)

edit:
the limo has 69,000 miles on it

milkmania
10-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Milk, we use GPS daily at work, ag input related,. Garmin is the best value form the $. They make a reciever that is compatable with any lap top. cost around $250.00 and is WAAS enabled (diferential correction). Just pick your mapping program and they interface pretty well. The other route is TomTom or similar. We also have demoed some GPS tracking applications, PM me for more info.

I remember your thread where they installed a GPS receiver in one of your combines/equipment/something or other......

good stuff:headbang:

whitedog
10-28-2007, 02:22 AM
I remember your thread where they installed a GPS receiver in one of your combines/equipment/something or other......

good stuff:headbang:

We now use GPS for auto steer guidence of field equipment, sprayers with 120' booms, spreader trucks, zone tillage equipment, planters, combines ect as well as for taking soil samples and doing field mapping. The trackingwith RTK is within 2 - 3 " and less than 3" vertical. No human can drive as streight as a tractor with GPS enabled auto steer. :rolleyes:

milkmania
10-28-2007, 02:25 AM
We now use GPS for auto steer guidence of field equipment, sprayers with 120' booms, spreader trucks, zone tillage equipment, planters, combines ect as well as for taking soil samples and doing field mapping. The trackingwith RTK is within 2 - 3 " and less than 3" vertical. No human can drive as streight as a tractor with GPS enabled auto steer. :rolleyes:

I looked for your thread..... I do remember it, impressive technology:twocents:

have you experienced any down time after you get the auto steering system installed and in use?

whitedog
10-28-2007, 02:31 AM
I looked for your thread..... I do remember it, impressive technology:twocents:

have you experienced any down time after you get the auto steering system installed and in use?

Not the last 3 years. The early years offered challenges but the technology just keeps getting better. Rode in one of our tractors today pulling a 12 row implement (30' wide) measured the accuracy an we had a varience of less than 1" either direction.

The reliability on the GPS is exceptional. I have a crop duster friend who flys his plane this way after he sets up field bounderies, like the tractors all he does is sets and elivation and turns around at the end of the field. Neat stuff.

TMCNo1
10-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Everyone I know, swears by Garmin as THE aftermarket portable GPS.

That limo would make a neat tow vehicle or even a hearse!

BrianM
10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Just a quick note from someone that was in the Limo business a few years back. I drove for a small company that had 3 limos and two Towncars for airport work. I knew the owner and the business side very well. Lots of people come in and out of the business because it is tough to make a buck in the business. Lots of expenses involved with insurance, etc and especially maintenance. Even a low mileage limo is going to have a ton of maintenance. Breaks have to be replace almost constantly and AC/heat units (for the rear), and the air suspension are notorious for having issues.

Who did the limo conversion? Tiffany, Crystal, or someone else. Again some are better than others so do your research.

One final note. That looks to be a '96 or '97 model. That is now two body styles old. Customers are notoriously picky about having a new bodystyle car. All of our limos were the same bodystyle as the one you have pictured. That was in 2000 when it was only one body style old. People would call about a car and ask what year the car was. When you told them it was a '97 they would say thanks and hang up. They want to spend their hard earned money to be rolling in the latest style. It is now 7 years later and one more body style removed. I think you will find this to be a BIG problem.

BrianM
10-28-2007, 01:22 PM
(can't search 3 letter words like GPS for previous threads)

For 3 letter (or less) word searches on this site use Google. Type in:

gps site:tmcowners.com

Here is a direct link to the results.
http://www.google.com/search?q=gps+site%3Atmcowners.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

east tx skier
10-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I've got a garmin streetpilot e330 and it has been great. Much better than the garmin I sold in 2003 to buy perfect pass.