PDA

View Full Version : 6" piece of 1/4" tubing fell into Tranny

imaidiot3535
10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Yup - idiot of the year award! I was removing my fluid out of my X1 tranny with a hand pump.....

I had the pump taped together with some duct tape - -

Long story short - I lost about a 6-8 inch plastic tube 1/4" thick into my transmission??

I tried to remove it carefully with a flexible grip thing, but couldn't find it in the tranny??

So - question is - - how do I go about removing it? What damage will it do if it's left in there??

I obviously would like to remove it, not looking forward to paying the shop 4-8 hours to pull my tranny apart for simple mistake?

Any thoughts?

uawaterskier
10-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Im not sure on boat tranny's, but if they are like car transmissions then you HAVE to get that out. All I know is in a car it would be a very very premature failure of the tranny. Maybe someone with boat tranny experience could chime in.

BrianM
10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Ouch! I'm not guessing it would be a good idea to run it with the plastic tube in there.:rolleyes: Sorry man. Sounds like it may be a spendy mistake if you are not able to fish it out.

McFire
10-26-2007, 05:36 PM
And I thought I was the only one that could happen to...

I had the same issue last fall. I was able to see the tubing, but could get any of my hand tools to reach it AND grab it. I ended up using and old pair of McGill forcepts. They are used by EMTs to grab stuff that is stuck in someone's throat. You should be able to get them at a good medical supply company.

Good Luck

TRBenj
10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Apparently we're not alone.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/Tim_4-29-07017_small.jpg

That piece of hose was stuck in the transmission. While attempting to drain last fall, the tube went into the wrong compartment (not straight down the dipstick hole), and by the time I realized it, it had snagged. It ended up breaking off and I had to pull the transmission to fish it out.

88 PS190
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Small fish hook on stiff wire.

Snag it. Drag it out.

Do not run with it in there.

I use what's known as a topsider pump, basically a tank with an air vac pump... do not use for transfering X-ray chemicals, they will eat the seals out of it... if that worries you.

Willski
10-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Shop vac?? If you could create enough vacuum, you may get it out.

chico
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
find someone with a boreoscope,I have a Testo scope,might be cheaper than removing the trans.You can get hemmostats cheap that can reach in