PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires : P185 70B13

TRISTARX
10-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I have a 88 Tristar 22" with a dual axel trailer. The current tires read P185 70B13. I assume these are 13" tires. Can I change the width and profile of these tires and put on trailer tires instead of passenger tires? I am having trouble finding quality tires in this size but think there is a better tire to replace with. Any recommendations? I would like to keep the same rims.

BrianM
10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Those seem small even for a tandem. You should definitely be running trailer tires. Yes you can change size but if you move up to a 14" tire you obviously need to change rims as well.

oldriver
10-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Hey Brian,I think I have 14 inch now ,could I use a 15 inch (same bolt pattern) as a spare to get me off the highway??I know it will bolt on was wondering about the fender rubbing ??think it will??
thanks and sorry if I am butting in this thread but tristarx might have the same issue.....

Chas
10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I have found a good tire shop in town. I can't tell you how useful that is, and how amazed I am to discover that they will give me great advice about tires, sizes, rim sizes, types, warranties - and do so even if it means selling me a less expensive item.

I wish they sold online, I would post the web address. It is a "Big Brand" store - perhaps finding somebody like this in your area would be the best idea. You can take the trailer to the shop and have them see what will fit.

What I do know is this: if you have a smaller rim diameter - such as the thirteen inch you mentioned - it gives your boat a more cushioned ride. The outside diameter of the tire determines whether or not it will fit under your fenders without rubbing.

The aspect ratio tells you the ratio of hight to width. A 50 series is half as high as it is wide.

The most popular rim/tire combo these days are the larger diameter - such as 19" rims, but with 50 or even 40 series tires. The look great, and on a high performance car they improve steering response. On a trailer, they beat the life out of the boat.

http://www.ridejudge.com/featured/may01/backwheel.jpg

Jerseydave
10-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I have a 88 Tristar 22" with a dual axel trailer. The current tires read P185 70B13. I assume these are 13" tires. Can I change the width and profile of these tires and put on trailer tires instead of passenger tires? I am having trouble finding quality tires in this size but think there is a better tire to replace with. Any recommendations? I would like to keep the same rims.

Most trailer tires are 75 series, not 70's. If your going to stay with 13" wheels, look for a set of Goodyear Marathons. They are by far the best trailer-rated tires out there.

I'm surprised you don't have 14" wheels, most tandem trailers do.

Jerseydave
10-26-2007, 09:33 PM

Most trailer tires are 75 or 80 series, not 70's. If your going to stay with 13" wheels, look for a set of Goodyear Marathons. They are by far the best trailer-rated tires out there.

I'm surprised you don't have 14" wheels, most tandem trailers do.

Look here
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Marathon+Radial

TMCNo1
10-27-2007, 06:20 AM
That I know of, Mastercraft trailers have never left the factory with 13'' tires and wheels on them . Is this a MC trailer or a aftermarket trailer?

TRISTARX
10-29-2007, 09:22 AM
this is a mastercraft trailer. I was not the original owner so I dont know what he did. It definitly says these are 13's on the sidewall. I think I will get some marathon 13's. I just want to make sure they will not rub. I also have a 87 tristar with a a dual axle trailer and it has 14's. If I got a 13 witht the 75 i should be ok right?