PDA

View Full Version : Okay...this makes me ill...

VirtualWi
10-26-2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305279,00.html

One of my favorite topics - Religion. Ugh.

shepherd
10-26-2007, 08:31 AM
What part makes you ill? The protesters or the lawsuit?

Leroy
10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Religion, politics....etc tend to be topics that often end up in trouble on this forum.

Also what oil to use......

VirtualWi
10-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry...the protesters. I digress. Yes, three things you shouldn't discuss - Religion, Politics and income. As for oil - well, I use the stuff that comes in a quart ;)

Jesus_Freak
10-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Religion, politics....etc tend to be topics that often end up in trouble on this forum.

Did someone call??? :purplaugh

Protesting during a funeral is completely absurd, regardless of the message.

VirtualWi
10-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Did someone call??? :purplaugh

Protesting during a funeral is completely absurd, regardless of the message.

Gracias...that's good to hear you say that and it helps prove that the religion I grew up with (long since gone) isn't completely full of nut-bags :D

H20skeefreek
10-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Gracias...that's good to hear you say that and it helps prove that the religion I grew up with (long since gone) isn't completely full of nut-bags :D
I hope that you honestly don't believe that this small group of "nut-bags" represents Christianity at all, in fact I would venture to say that they are misguided by the evil-one, rather than guided by faith in Jesus Christ at all. Jesus teaches us to love one another regardless. This message is NOT one of love, even though they think it is.

"long since gone", it's said to hear that. I have no idea what you've been through, to cause that, and I pray that whatever it is, you will one day get over it. I would encourage you to PM either myself or Jesus Freak, or several others on this board who are open about their faith in Jesus Christ regarding your walk with the Lord. There are great things awaiting those who love Jesus Christ.

Thanks for posting the story, it's a shame that a small group of people have to go and make a bad name for an entire group of believers.

Chief
10-27-2007, 09:23 AM
If ya don't stand behind our troops, stand in front of them (baptist included). Geez, crazy baptist blame everthing on ****'s.

Well I guess it's better than blowing everything up.

Father just wanted to bury his son in private.

bigmac
10-27-2007, 09:59 AM
It's despicable, of course, on a personal level, but it clearly is a first amendment issue. The old "I hate what you're saying, but I'll defend your right to say it" concept applies here. The question is going to be whether or not those funeral protests go beyond the limitations that the courts have applied to the interpretation of the First Amendment. Most of us also find burning of the US flag despicable, but the Supreme Court has already ruled that that falls under the heading of free speech.

VirtualWi
10-27-2007, 10:14 AM
It's despicable, of course, on a personal level, but it clearly is a first amendment issue. The old "I hate what you're saying, but I'll defend your right to say it" concept applies here. The question is going to be whether or not those funeral protests go beyond the limitations that the courts have applied to the interpretation of the First Amendment. Most of us also find burning of the US flag despicable, but the Supreme Court has already ruled that that falls under the heading of free speech.

As always - well said, Bigmac.

j2nh
10-27-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html
or google "westboro church"

This is the "church" that sponsors the protests. They list the name of every serviceman killed and the time and location of there funeral.

This stretches free speech to the limit. I would not recommend these people protest the funeral of a service person in my community should we lose another one (we have lost 3 already).

bigmac
10-27-2007, 10:30 AM
This stretches free speech to the limit.

Agreed. It's starting out in disrict court, but I suspect this will become a constitutional issue. It will be interesting to see how the Supreme Court ultimately rules.

puck_11
10-27-2007, 10:50 AM
These people came and protested at my school a few years back, what they do is completely disgusting. I hope they get hammered in this lawsuit.

Chief
10-27-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html
or google "westboro church"

This is the "church" that sponsors the protests. They list the name of every serviceman killed and the time and location of there funeral.

This stretches free speech to the limit. I would not recommend these people protest the funeral of a service person in my community should we lose another one (we have lost 3 already).

A bunch of cuckoo's. What is wrong with these people. That's the kinda crap that needs to go. If they hate america so much then get the f out.

The bikers here in Jacksonville keep the fanatics away from the funerals. No violence yet, but it's coming.

How can people behave in this manner and sleep at night.

Farmer Ted
10-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I find it odd that the church ties our countries "tolerance" of gays to the military

the father is to be commended for not taking matters into his own hands

it's too bad the lawyer isn't doing this Pro-Bono

maybe it would be good paintball practice to go and protest the protest........

JimN
10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
The old "I hate what you're saying, but I'll defend your right to say it" concept applies here. The question is going to be whether or not those funeral protests go beyond the limitations that the courts have applied to the interpretation of the First Amendment."

OK, but why do they need to protest at the funeral of someone who dies in a war, and try to connect it to his view of why the US was attached? That's a really wild stretch. Was it Jerry Falwell who said this was the reason we were attacked? Only a wackado would come up with that. What about drug addicts, wife/child beaters, child abusers and televangelists who defraud their "flock"? Should these be excluded from blame?

This kind of protest is fine by 1st Amendment guidelines but there's a time and place and a funeral isn't the time, nor place. Someone needs to "inform" the minister that this dead soldier may not have been one of the ones he's protesting about.

Sounds like the minister wants to read about himself and see himself on TV. I really don't see this as changing people's activities or lifestyles. He needs a useful mission and he should start with changing himself.

Their protest may be legal but it's in really bad taste.

bigmac
10-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Their protest may be legal but it's in really bad taste.

Agreed. Really bad taste. We'll see if it's legal or not, although it may have to wind its way to the $upreme Court before we find out.

JimN
10-27-2007, 12:56 PM
"Of course it's in bad taste."

Sure, we think it's in bad taste but the minister obviously doesn't agree. I wonder if he has considered the possibility of people protesting at his funeral, or will he make a point of stating that it's "private", the way his lawyer justified their presence by saying the soldier's funeral wasn't.

I don't think bad taste needs to be legislated, I just think these people ought to ask themselves what their reaction would be if someone did this at their family member's funeral. For that matter, people generally should think about the effects of their words and actions a lot more often and this, to me, falls under that category. Who said it needs to be made illegal? Their right to protest is legal but what would you do if you were Jewish and the guys with swastikas protested at your house? It's legal, but you would have very strong feelings about them doing it. Protests like these really add nothing to the lives of the vast majority of the world's population- they only serve to disrupt.

If the people whose funerals were protested were advocates of this minister's cause, they may not have had a problem with knowing it was going to happen but funerals are for the grieving. It's their send-off for the departed and one of the first parts of letting that person go and, IMO, nobody has the right to spoil that.

puck_11
10-27-2007, 03:02 PM
This may or may not be true, but I hear they make all of their money from lawsuits from being assaulted. If you've ever been to one of their protests they have several cameras filming at all times. They say such hateful things that most rational people want to take it into their own hands and put them in their place. They had little girls well under the age of ten holding up signs that said things like "thank god for 9/11" "Blame the F***s or 9/11" with another older man shouting things like I want to sh*t on this American flag. They incite a lot of anger in people.

Bruce
10-27-2007, 03:26 PM
As a former Marine (actually there are no "former" Marines). I can not post the action I would like to take.
I guess shortly the ACLU will rear it's ugly head.
As to rights: your right to throw a punch ends where my nose begins!

bigmac
10-27-2007, 03:41 PM
"Of course it's in bad taste."

Sure, we think it's in bad taste but the minister obviously doesn't agree. How are we going to make him agree with us?

....funerals are for the grieving. It's their send-off for the departed and one of the first parts of letting that person go and, IMO, nobody has the right to spoil that.

Well, as we established, the minister and the members of his church don't agree. They felt that they had to right to express their disagreement in that public forum. You and I think they went too far morally, now the courts will decide if they went too far legally.

JimN
10-27-2007, 09:33 PM
He!!'s Angels. They provided security for The Stones at Altamont. Went too far, but maybe the minister will see the similarity.

"How are we going to make him agree with us?"

I don't think he'll ever agree with us but it really wouldn't bother me if they came up with some kind of ordinance which states that picketing or protesting at funerals is forbidden. Besides, once the drive to the cemetery starts, anything they do that causes sudden reactions would be seen as a safety risk and breaking into, driving through or crossing a funeral procession is illegal.

I don't know with any degree of certainty, how I would react if they showed up at a funeral for someone I know but if they did something really bad, I might call the local news to bring their tactics to more people. That may reduce public tolerance of this kind of thing.

How about getting him drunk and taking photos in compromising positions with people he shouldn't be "with" or the ones he loathes?

bigmac
10-27-2007, 09:41 PM
How about getting him drunk and taking photos in compromising positions with people he shouldn't be "with" or the ones he loathes?

Aha. I knew this was going to end up being a job for CSM Jonas Blane.

Maristar210
10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Yes true...

TX.X-30 fan
10-27-2007, 10:10 PM
He!!'s Angels. They provided security for The Stones at Altamont. Went too far, but maybe the minister will see the similarity.

Like your thinking here Jim, I can see some photo's of him and Onstead highlighting each others pubic hairs? 8p 8p

Maristar210
10-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Sickening for me....

JimN
10-27-2007, 10:47 PM
How about getting a bunch of Rastafarians to blow smoke in their faces?

VirtualWi
10-28-2007, 09:20 AM
or getting him and Larry Craig in a bathroom together?

TX.X-30 fan
10-28-2007, 11:16 AM
or getting him and Larry Craig in a bathroom together?

Tap Tap Tap Tap.................... 8p 8p

j2nh
10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Check it out:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/31/funeral.protests.ap/

Grieving father was awarded 11 million by a jury in a decision against the Westboro Church.

2.9 million compensatory damages
6 Million punitive damages for invasion of privacy
2 million for causing emotional distress.

YES!!!!!

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 07:01 PM
BALTIMORE(AP) A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.
Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.
The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.
Snyder's attorney, Craig Trebilcock, had urged jurors to determine an amount "that says don't do this in Maryland again. Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."
Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."
A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.
The church and three of its leaders _ the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46 _ were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress.

bigmac
10-31-2007, 07:19 PM
BALTIMORE(AP) A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.
Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.
The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.
Snyder's attorney, Craig Trebilcock, had urged jurors to determine an amount "that says don't do this in Maryland again. Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."
Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."
A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.
The church and three of its leaders _ the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46 _ were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress.Cool. Invasion of privacy. Even if the verdict gets overturned, it will be a long expensive court fight for that little church.

Leroy
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Some people really get some screwy thoughts.......I can't think of a worse target than a fallen war hero.

H20skeefreek
10-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Some people really get some screwy thoughts.......I can't think of a worse target than a fallen war hero.
Like I said before, the evil one has caused this. It's all to give Christians a bad name. I hope everyone realizes that these people are NOT Christians, but acting under the guise of Christianity. I've read a LOT of their materials in the last few days, and it saddens me to think that these people (the congregation) have had the wool pulled over their eyes and they've been convinced that this is the way to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even more sadly, the families of these HEROES that have fought for their right to gather and protest and express their first amendment rights have been robbed of memories of their children. Whenever they think of the day that they laid their sons bodies to rest, they will think of these monsters and their hate messages.

mcdoon
10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Among the legal/ACLU crowd the protesters may have a loophole, but in the real world would they'd have their beer taken away and be bounced out into the parking lot.

puck_11
10-31-2007, 11:49 PM
I hope they bleed every penny out of that "church"

Jesus_Freak
11-01-2007, 03:17 AM
Like I said before, the evil one has caused this. It's all to give Christians a bad name. I hope everyone realizes that these people are NOT Christians, but acting under the guise of Christianity. I've read a LOT of their materials in the last few days, and it saddens me to think that these people (the congregation) have had the wool pulled over their eyes and they've been convinced that this is the way to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even more sadly, the families of these HEROES that have fought for their right to gather and protest and express their first amendment rights have been robbed of memories of their children. Whenever they think of the day that they laid their sons bodies to rest, they will think of these monsters and their hate messages.

Thank you sir. To think of anyone carrying those picket signs, especially in the name of Jesus, is sickening.