PDA

View Full Version : Room for Audio

Trent 197
10-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Can anyone confirm that a JL W7 sub, (2) JL amps, and a spare battery can all fit in the passenger side compartment of a '08 197. My boat is on order and I want to go ahead and purchase the audio.

JBaker
10-26-2007, 01:18 AM
I won't personally be able to confirm, but what size W7?

Trent 197
10-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Check this link out for sub dimensions. To clarify, I would like to pu the spare battery in an enclosed battery case. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=5&prod_id=302

Sodar
10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I will check my dimensions this weekend for ya. In the mean time though, Andyg has a very similar setup... here is a pic: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=343228&postcount=3

Trent 197
10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the pic. I'm wondering if there will be enough height behind the sub for the spare battery, and if that is even the best place for the spare.

Sodar
10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Check this one out: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=420923&postcount=17

JBaker
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
So you want a 10 (in a prowedge), correct? Nice choice BTW.

wgwollet
10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I think MC001 has a link on how to make your teak platform look like a piece of furniture.

I had major trouble finding the Starbrite Teak Sealer. So I called Starbrite in Fla and explained what I was doing. He sold me the 32 oz size for $21.00. Its called Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer in natural or orginal color. BTW: the new "farm raised" teak we see on new MC have the lighter color teak.

I told him about starting with 400, 1000, 1500, 2000, etc grit paper after each sanding process and then do a sealer coat. He told me its a major over-kill. BTW this sealer has teak oil, UV, and other things to make it happen.

My final comment is NEVER USE TEAK OIL, only TEAK SEALER.

B

Trent 197
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, the 10 is what I'm thinkning. It's expensive, but why buy a MC and put anything second rate in it, right?

Andyg
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the pic. I'm wondering if there will be enough height behind the sub for the spare battery, and if that is even the best place for the spare.

I also have a heater that takes up some room back there. If you don't have a heater you will have no problem fitting the stuff back there. When I have all of my stereo stuff in there the subwoofer is almost touching the back of the passengers seat. When I had this setup in my 03 boat without the heater the subwoofer still fit behind the glove box. Here is one more photo of what it looks like behind that subwoofer.

Andyg
10-26-2007, 12:43 PM
This is how I had everything setup in my 2003 197. The subwoofer amp is mounted to the back of the bow seat behind the subwoofer.

Trent 197
10-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks, that answers my question. One more for you: how well does the sound transmit when the passenger seat is down? Or to put it another way, how much does the enclosure, with the seat down, dampen the sound?

Andyg
10-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Or to put it another way, how much does the enclosure, with the seat down, dampen the sound?

With the seat down it doesn't really dampen it all that I can notice. I also have a second subwoofer under the kickpanel on the drivers side. With both of them going it sound pretty good.

Here is a photo with the kickpanel removed.

Trent 197
10-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've been talking to a buddy of mine thats all into this audio stuff, and I think I'm going to go with the 12W7 in the JL Prowedge box. Dims are 16.55"H x 20.50"W x 17.25"D. I think I will mount the amp(s) on the wall as Andyg has, and maybe locate the battery behind the sub enclosure. Can anyone take a quick tape and see if this will fit? My only other option is to drive to the dealer 2hrs away and take the dims myself. Thanks in advance!

Andyg
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
The floor space that I have open where by sub sits infront of my second battery is 16 H x 15 W x 15 D. If you don't have a heater or remove the second battery it might fit. It is going to be a tight squeeze though. I think you will not be happy trying to fit a sub enclosure that big in your storage compartment. In order to gain storage space I end up leaving the sub that I usually have under the observers seat at home. I only have it in the boat a couple of times a year.

I assume you got the stock clarion speakers instead of the upgraded system with the JLs. The JLs sound twice as good as the clarions do and the bass from them is significantly better.

Trent 197
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
I got the JL's: 4 in the boat, 4 on the tower, but I told MC not to include the factory amp or sub, as I wanted to handle that myself. I'm not going to use the headunit to push anything, so I'm gonna need 3 JL amps, a sub, a capacitor, and a battery down there. Somehow I've got to figure out how to fit it all...but from what you've written, it may be so close that I need to wait and measure the space myself when the boat arrives before purchasing the audio.