PDA

View Full Version : Another digital camera advice thread

Mikey
10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I am looking to get an entry level digital SLR and need some opinions. I have read other threads on here but I have different needs in a camera than than others that have asked questions. I have been looking at the Cannon Rebel XT, Nikon D40, Pentax K100D.
It will mainly be used for still photo's and posibly some underwater photography in the future. I am mostly concerned with ease of use. Although I enjoy seeing everyones sequence photo's, I wont be using it for that so I dont think that fps is a big issue. Any advice, opinions, or suggestions for different cameras that I didnt list would be appreciated. Thanks.

TNH2oSkier
10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I have a D-50 and a friend has the D-40. I dont think you can go wrong with either. The D-40 is super easy to use, set it on auto and push the button. One of my favorite features is that I can get about 1200 photos off of one battery charge. Its also great to turn it on and be able to shoot instantly. I am very pleased with my camera. Make sure you get high speed cards with what ever camera you purchase.

sanjuan23
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I guess I got sold up the river when I was looking into the Digital SLR I was interested in taking better pictures but spent the extra on the Nikon D80 with the Nikkor DX 18-135 Lens. I have been trying to figure this thing out for almost 2 months now, but one thing is for certain it takes amazing pictures and faster than I know what to do with.

kvalve
10-25-2007, 10:56 PM
the entry level DSLR's from Nikon and Canon have about the same IQ.
I think Nikon has better glass bundled with their cameras. the Nikon 18-70 that comes with some cameras is like a $400 lens. the 18-55 is half way decent. have any decent glass from the film days ?

go check them out and get a feel for the body and check out the view finders. if you like one over the other buy it.

phecksel
10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Sanjuan23,

Take the camera off auto and go strictly into manual. Learn how aperature, shutter speed, and ISO all work together. Post processing of digital photos is as important as capturing the scene. Use Nikon NX or NC. NX is the latest software, I prefer NC. Might try posting some photos over at dpreview.com or nikoncafe.com and ask for help.

Mach1,

Using one camera for stills and underwater will be a daunting task. I might suggest picking the environment you want the best pics from and which one will be used the most, then find the best camera for that task.

clevan
10-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I bought a Sony A100 and have been very satisfied with it. It has seven preprogrammed modes which seem to cover all my needs. It is a 10 megapixel camera so I get great resolution. Very easy to use and takes great pictures.

Leroy
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not a camera person but have loved my Nikon D50 and have taken 5-6k pictures over the past year. I can read the book and go into manual mode. Auto or the different settings, sport, close up, etc help me alot.

Last year at our HS soccer banquet they had action shots made into ~3'x4' posters of each senior and almost all of the pictures came from my camera and they looked great! Made me happy!

sanjuan23
10-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Sanjuan23,

Take the camera off auto and go strictly into manual. Learn how aperature, shutter speed, and ISO all work together. Post processing of digital photos is as important as capturing the scene. Use Nikon NX or NC. NX is the latest software, I prefer NC. Might try posting some photos over at dpreview.com or nikoncafe.com and ask for help.

The photographer that shot our wedding is going to give me a crash course as soon as our schedules do not conflict and I am signed up to start a photography course UTA (University of Texas at Arlington) in January albeit at the correspondence level still hopefully good information. I have been amazed how quickly I can fill up a 1 gig card just messing around, and the quality of the prints and photos I have been able to take.

sanjuan23
10-25-2007, 11:39 PM
the entry level DSLR's from Nikon and Canon have about the same IQ.
I think Nikon has better glass bundled with their cameras. the Nikon 18-70 that comes with some cameras is like a $400 lens. the 18-55 is half way decent. have any decent glass from the film days ?.

Part of the reason that I went with the D80 over the D40 was the ability to buy older lenses that would work on the worm gear vs. those that would not work on the D40

VirtualWi
10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
I have both the D40 and D50...I would go with the 50 (unless you are a Canon person) because it does work with more lenses. I just purchased an 11 MM lens last night (Nice and WIDE!) and the auto-focus does NOT work on the D40, but works great on the D50. I knew that going in, but just an FYI that there may be other lenses you may want to purchase in the future that won't work as well with the D40.

I have nothing against Canon, it's just that I am so used to Nikon controls and such, and I have all the lenses, too.

djhuff
10-26-2007, 09:12 AM
What I did was go to the store, and hold everything, shoot everything, put different lenses on the bodies and feel the balance. If you are just getting into it, you have a clean slate, and the most important aspect is how it feels to you. The only Canon that felt good in my hands was the 30D, and it was way out of the budget. The entry level Nikons are bigger, which I liked better (haven't handled the D40).

bdecker
10-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I'd check out the D40x. I think it's got a few more features than the D40, which certainly won't hurt if you decide to use it for more advanced applications down the road. I've seen some pretty good deals on it to. I know Costco has a 2 lens kit with a bunch of other necessities for about $800.