PDA

View Full Version : tow with Honda Pilot

n8urelover
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Does anyone out there tow their boat with a Honda Pilot? I'm thinking about getting one and was wondering how it would do pulling the boat out of the water and down the highway.

KnoxX2
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
What kind of boat?
How big?

east tx skier
10-25-2007, 03:24 PM
The towing capacity is 4,500 lbs for boat trailers with the pilot. I think it could do okay pulling the 93 205 you have listed in your profile. But with no gas or gear, you're close to 3,500 lbs already with that boat. Steep ramps or poorly surfaced ramps could pose a problem, so 4WD might be a good option to look into. Plus, if you're planning on seeing lots of mountainous or hilly terrain, it may struggle. For short trips, it'd probably do it okay.

I say it could do it with that boat, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best option. I ocassionally towed my old 205 with my wife's 97 V6 Explorer. It did fine, but the boat played a bit of who's your daddy with it. Braking is not ideal either.

Personally, I'd go with a tow vehilce with more engine, more weight, and a nice wide wheel base. But my tow vehicle is no longer my daily driver.

Willski
10-25-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a Honda Pilot and an 84 M/C. I towed with it twice. Not bad for my boat, although it was just to the local boat ramp 10 miles away. Like mentioned above, hilly terain I think could be a struggle. I definitely know it is back there. We have a steep ramp and we had no problem. We do have 4WD, but I don't think it kicked in. I usually tow with my other vehicle. 1/2 ton Silverado.

YooperScott
10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a Ridgeline (same drivetrain, all Ridgelines are AWD where I believe you can get a 2WD Pilot) and it pulls my boat no problem at all and our ramp is steep. 65-75 mph on the highway no problem either. Downshifts on hills on the highway, but then again it downshifts on hills on the highway most of the time even without the boat.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

ShamrockIV
10-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I am a firm believer in the fact that pulling the boat is not the issue, it is the stopping. A pilot seems a little on the small side for towing. i guess it depends on where u live. here in tennessee where we have steep ramps and hills/mountains u need to be able to stop if the situation warrants. Just my opinion.

shamrock IV 97 prostar 205

krra1
10-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I have an old Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 and a 06 Pilot and have pulled my boat with both. The boat shows the blazer who's boss, but the Pilot does just fine. As stated above, there are better vehicles but if you are just towing from home to the ramp and back you will be fine. Also, speak with the Honda dealer, Pilots can come with equipment that cools the Tranny.

sand2snow22
10-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a Ridgeline (same drivetrain, all Ridgelines are AWD where I believe you can get a 2WD Pilot) and it pulls my boat no problem at all and our ramp is steep. 65-75 mph on the highway no problem either. Downshifts on hills on the highway, but then again it downshifts on hills on the highway most of the time even without the boat.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

This is my only complaint with out Pilot, it tends to hunt for gears too often. Even if it was left out of overdrive, I can't imagine pulling our boat behind it :o If you do get the pilot, make sure you get the tow package which includes a tranny cooler.

YooperScott
10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Yes downshifting on hills bothers me. Not so much towing the boat, I expect that, but anything but the slightest grade going say 75 on cruise and it drops down without a trailer. I tend to not use cruise sometimes because I can gain a little speed going down and trade some in going up and keep it from downshifting. Anyways it tows just dandy. Our 2000 Explorer was just about as bad with the shifting (towed like crap though, sold before I got the MC but other things I towed I did not like it).

Edit: I will add overall I really like the Ridgeline a lot. The "too quick to downshift" thing is my only gripe.

Scott

kev88
10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
We had an 04 Pilot and pulled an 18 ft Sea Ray runabout with it (3000 lbs total). The Pilot did not have a towing packing (trans/oil cooler, etc) and did not do well in my opinion. The trans seemed to always be searching for the proper gear and the engine struggled. Braking was not a problem.

stuartmcnair
10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
at our lakehouse had one (just totalled it) and it was not suitable for pulling anything larger that the jet skis IMHO.

Braking was the main problem. It stopped the trailer but you have no control if you have to stop quickly...the pilot was getting pushed

The boat in question was a 17.5 ft bayliner

ShamrockIV
10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Trailer brakes make a BIG difference too!!!

JBaker
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I once towed my Jeep Cherokee into a lake with a 25' Tiara. Yes, you read that right.

YooperScott
10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Perhaps my Ridgeline has different brakes than a Pilot because I thought (think) the braking seems perfectly fine. Now I don't tailgate people at 80 expecting to outbrake them while towing, but then again i'm also not the guy in the slow lane at 55 either.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

JDK
10-26-2007, 01:46 AM
I've got a Pilot(4wd) and a PS205 on a tandem trailer. Not the greatest choice for longer trips, but for a few miles to the ramp it's fine. I tow in 3rd gear to stop the tranny hunting, and max out at about 55-60mph (~3000rpm) Plenty of power and brakes are fine (but you should hook up the trailer brakes:)
I don't know why people are afraid of shifting down are running a few more rpm......it's easier on everything in the tow vehicle (except possibly the mpg)

ShamrockIV
10-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Jbaker i believe you i have seen people come close here in TN on wet ramps that are really steep!!!

cdawake
10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
At the beginning of this summer, I saw a guy at my local ramp back his brand new cobalt 240 off the side of the concrete. I was at the restauraunt right next to it, and he backed it sideways off the edge, leaving half of the tandem off the ramp. It made a HUGE grinding metal noise... His brand new boat that probably costed $85k wasn't damaged, but the trailer was a little bent out of shape. I'm sure his ego was tooo :cool:

TX.X-30 fan
10-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Towing down the road with a vehicle that is not designed for what you are using it for puts everyone in danger. At some point in the boat buying experience I think everyone should give some consideration to how they will get this beast in the water. Automobile companies overestimate their cars abilities, yes a half ton truck will tow 5,500 lbs but will that weight push that truck all over the road at 70 MPH???

In my opinion these little light weight vehicles have no business towing these big boat. They all may do fine until there is a problem, then all you want is a big stiff 2500 hd duramax diesel/allison!!!!!!!!!!

No way to know what I mean till it happens?? :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
10-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I once towed my Jeep Cherokee into a lake with a 25' Tiara. Yes, you read that right.

I will pay for pics!!!:D :D

TOO funny dude, give some juicy details?????

ShamrockIV
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Amen TX.X-30. As i previously stated," it is not the pulling, it is the stopping". I am a big fan of a FULL SIZE truck or a FULL SIZE suv to pull a boat of any size. when towing the idea of "bigger is definately better" really comes into play. The issue is not your driving skills but what will happen when the guy or gal on their cell pulls right out in front of you?
I pull my 205 with either my 03 yukon xl 4X4 or 95 silverado 1500 2X4. both pull fine but the difference in the yukon and pickup is amazing!!!

alp
10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
For the past three seasons we've been towing a 92 PS 190 on a MC trailer with out brakes with a 05 Pilot Lx 4wd, with the Honda towing package. Average about 1,200 towing miles per season with 3 - 4 passengers and all of our gear per trip. Half our trips are on secondary roads to the local public concrete ramp about 3 miles one way and the other half are to a private pond that includes a 1/2 mile hilly gravel entry, a gravel ramp, 3 miles of secondary roads and 22 miles of highway. We also do a vacation trip, through the Green Mountains to central Vermont about 180 miles one way.

I believe the Pilot tows the 190 very well in all cases. We just turned 65k on the odometer and still have the original brakes which will easily go until the next service at 70k. MPG is about 18 towing the boat (always use gear D3), about 22 when not towing.

Overall it's a great vehicle for us - seats 8, tows well, easy on gas, very quiet smooth ride, quick when you need it, good storage, can even handle a few full sheets of plywood.

TX.X-30 fan
10-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Amen TX.X-30. As i previously stated," it is not the pulling, it is the stopping". I am a big fan of a FULL SIZE truck or a FULL SIZE suv to pull a boat of any size. when towing the idea of "bigger is definately better" really comes into play. The issue is not your driving skills but what will happen when the guy or gal on their cell pulls right out in front of you?
I pull my 205 with either my 03 yukon xl 4X4 or 95 silverado 1500 2X4. both pull fine but the difference in the yukon and pickup is amazing!!!

More important than that, We all thank you for your service to this county and helping keep us the land of the free.

JBaker
11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I will pay for pics!!!:D :D

TOO funny dude, give some juicy details?????

I wish I did have some pics.

I was an ever bigger, younger idiot. I was taking it down a narrow, private ramp. The Tiara is pretty heavy and long...easily 27' or 28' including the integrated platform. If I just backed it down, I would have to take it so far into the water that I had gotten the jeep stuck before (2WD.)

My genius plan, which I had successfully pulled off a couple times before, was to get the boat in deep enough to start the motor. Then I would get some momentum going down the ramp and then slam on the brakes when the rear tires got near the water level and it would just shoot the boat off. Well the boat didn't come off this time, possibly because I forgot to unhook it. I hit the brakes, but it just slid a good 15 feet. My cousin was in the boat and he put the boat in forward which the real saving grace but the jeep was still in water well above the window line. I got the door opened but it felt like it weighed about 300 lbs. Swam/Ran to the house that neighbored the ramp and got a guy to pull me out with a diesel RAM.

Funny that you mention the 2500 HD duramax. That is now my tow vehicle. I have an '05 with 115k miles and runs likes its new, though it did need some tranny work at about 105k. Still, I am a huge fan.

ShamrockIV
11-05-2007, 02:11 PM
More important than that, We all thank you for your service to this county and helping keep us the land of the free.

thanks!!!! No problem at all!!!! If you see me on the lake stop me and say hi and we might enjoy a beer. That is the best way to thank me. If not just enjoy the beautifull lakes and rivers of our country!!!! That is why we fight so that Americans can enjoy this great land however they want!!!!!

Ric
11-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Was it the pilot on that commercial where the fishermen were towing the boat with the pilot and saw a bear & slammed the brakes? That commercial was funny but what was not funny is seeing the pilot get pushed by the boat on their own commercial when emergency stopping!...........:eek: